3 Carnival Passengers missing in Ocha Rios

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 02:04 AM.
837 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Just read a story on USA Today that three passengers on a Carnival ship failed to reboard after a stop in Ocho Rios and cannot be located. American citizens, a mother and father in their 40's and their daughter age 21. They were not on a ship sponsored shore excursion and cannot be located.
Rhode Island
8,666 Posts
Joined May 2008
Originally posted by KathyPet
Just read a story on USA Today that three passengers on a Carnival ship failed to reboard after a stop in Ocho Rios and cannot be located. American citizens, a mother and father in their 40's and their daughter age 21. They were not on a ship sponsored shore excursion and cannot be located.
Link?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cape Coral, Florida
12,083 Posts
Joined Apr 2001
http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/p...maica/813756/1
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Most people walk in and out of your life......but FRIENDS leave footprints in your heart

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, BUT rather to SKID In BROADSIDE, completely used up, totally worn out, and SCREAMING "WOW---WHAT A RIDE!!"
San Diego, CA
1,151 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
I'll admit it - I was nervous last time I was in Falmouth and I'm nervous going back. Ship excursion it is, if I even get off the ship!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Classy
Church Point AKA Cajun Country
10,757 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
This is scary. Even if they stuck to the most populated touristy areas there is no guarantee that they would be safe, just as it is here in the United Staes.

Ou prayers go out to the families back home that these cruisers will be found lost somewhere on the island and will be brought safely home.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Rosemarie
Bath, PA
172 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
Heard on the radio that these people took all their belongings and checked into a resort.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Linda & John

Uniworld River Cruise Amsterdam to Budapest
RCI New England & Canada
Georgia
2,763 Posts
Joined Feb 2008
Originally posted by Kay Scarpetta
Heard on the radio that these people took all their belongings and checked into a resort.
http://www.karnnewsradio.com/rssItem...temid=29884264
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past Cruises:
Sept. 2016 - Carnival Magic (7), Dec. 2015 - Freedom of the Seas (7), Oct. 2015 - Carnival Conquest (6), Jan/Feb. 2015 - B2B - Carnival Liberty (8 + 7)
Oct. 2014 - Enchantment of the Seas (4),
Jan. 2014 - Celebrity Equinox (10), May 2013 - Grand Princess (10 day Alaska from San Francisco)
Feb. 2012 - Ryndam (7), April 2011 - Radiance of the Seas (15 day Reposition - Panama Canal),
Feb. 2010 - Emerald Princess (7), Feb. 2009 - Caribbean Princess (7)
Jan. 2008 - Adventure of the Seas (7), June 2007 - Mariner of the Seas (7), July 2002 - Explorer of the Seas (7), Feb. 1996 - Song of America (7)

Ontario, Canada
168 Posts
Joined Jul 2006
Didn't the crew think it was strange that they took all of their belongings off? Unless they didn't have much!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

837 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Just read on the Carnival board that these 3 idiots have been located. THe reason I say idiots was because they were located in a hotel. Evidently they decided they didn't like the cruise and got off and checked into a hotel. Did it not occur to them that if they didn't inform the ship's staff that they were getting off permanently that they would be searched for???
south burlington,vt.
3,928 Posts
Joined Dec 2008
Originally posted by Kay Scarpetta

....doesn't say much for Carnival.....
Somerdale, NJ
797 Posts
Joined Jul 2011
Just read on the Carnival board that these 3 idiots have been located. THe reason I say idiots was because they were located in a hotel. Evidently they decided they didn't like the cruise and got off and checked into a hotel. Did it not occur to them that if they didn't inform the ship's staff that they were getting off permanently that they would be searched for???
details...details.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Bart, Stephanie and Mikaela White

Explorer of the Seas 9 Night Bermuda and Eastern Caribbean, 7/21/11-7/30/11
Explorer of the Seas 5 Night Bermuda, 8/11/12-8/16/12
Anthem of the Seas 5 Night Bermuda 7/9/16-7/14/16

I love it when we're cruisin' together.
SOUTHFIELD, MICHIGAN
15,030 Posts
Joined Jan 2002
Originally posted by grand isle joe
It could've been any ship/line. However, that doesn't excuse the fact they didn't notify anyone they were debarking and not returning.
Georgia
2,763 Posts
Joined Feb 2008
The 3 articles I have read said they were found at a beach villa. No mention of having luggage or checking in. Sounds like they just missed the ship. Said police were hedlping with arrangements to fly home.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past Cruises:
Sept. 2016 - Carnival Magic (7), Dec. 2015 - Freedom of the Seas (7), Oct. 2015 - Carnival Conquest (6), Jan/Feb. 2015 - B2B - Carnival Liberty (8 + 7)
Oct. 2014 - Enchantment of the Seas (4),
Jan. 2014 - Celebrity Equinox (10), May 2013 - Grand Princess (10 day Alaska from San Francisco)
Feb. 2012 - Ryndam (7), April 2011 - Radiance of the Seas (15 day Reposition - Panama Canal),
Feb. 2010 - Emerald Princess (7), Feb. 2009 - Caribbean Princess (7)
Jan. 2008 - Adventure of the Seas (7), June 2007 - Mariner of the Seas (7), July 2002 - Explorer of the Seas (7), Feb. 1996 - Song of America (7)

The outdoor sauna known as Florida in summer
495 Posts
Joined May 2012
Originally posted by bigeagle12
The 3 articles I have read said they were found at a beach villa. No mention of having luggage or checking in. Sounds like they just missed the ship. Said police were hedlping with arrangements to fly home.
If they "just missed the ship" why would they not seek out help? Police, try to find the American embassy or consulate, something? They were supposedly found sitting on some beach-not what I'd do if I were in a foreign country after missing my ship.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Paradise-11/6/17-Cozumel and Grand Cayman
Carnival Ecstasy-10/26/13 - Bahamas again!
Carnival Fascination-11/24/12 - Key West and Nassau
Carnival Fascination-10/10 - Half Moon Cay and Nassau

St. Louis, MO
475 Posts
Joined Oct 2007
Thank goodness they are safe. Jamacia would be the last place I'd pick to exit a cruise.

It was very inconsiderate for them not to tell Carnival what they were doing.

Originally posted by Classynfun1
I'll admit it - I was nervous last time I was in Falmouth and I'm nervous going back. Ship excursion it is, if I even get off the ship!
I 100% agree with you!

At age 28 in I made the mistake of going into town midday to the busy shopping area by myself after a tour with DH, my mom and dad. I wanted to buy a watch as mine was broken. Back when I was 16, I was an exchange student in Paris and at 28 I freqently traveled on business to Chicago, NYC, etc. quite a bit, so based on those experiences felt pretty confident that I'd be fine in broad daylight on my own. What a mistake. Nothing bad happened, but I was pretty freaked out. A group of five black men followed me around everywhere I went, in and out of stores, etc. One even tried to get me to pay him protection money to protect me from the other guys. I should have just gone straight back to the ship, but I completed my errand before I did that. I tried not to act scared and be friendly and cordial anytime they spoke to me and asked me questions. I thought this was in my own best interest. For questions about ganga and partying, I just said that it just wasn't my thing. I tried to act like it was no big deal to have people following me. You don't know how happy I was, though, to be back on that cruise ship boat.

96 Posts
Joined Jul 2012
Nobody searched the cabin to see if their stuff was still there?

Inconsiderate of the passengers not to inform Carnival....but Carnival should have done a search before getting the authorities involved.

It's like accusing someone of a crime without any evidence.
Lees Summit, MO
2,644 Posts
Joined Dec 2004
Originally posted by grand isle joe
Carnival cruising doesn't cause stupidity....!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Melinda

Unofficial VP for Balcony Sitting

NCL Sun 7-31-17 ALASKAN Adventure with the Cuzs
DREAM 6-29-14 Cozumel, Jamaica, & Grand Caymen!
Freedom 7-14-12 35th Anniversary Cruise with family and friends- BEST ever cruise!!
Fantasy 6-5-10 All the Kids & Cousins on board!
Fantasy 6-30-07 I want to go back!
Conquest 7-2-06 Ahh...the memories!
Elation 7-17-05 Detoured cruise to the Bahamas!
Memories: Key West, Freeport, Nassau, Cozumel, Costa Maya, Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Grand Turk, Dominican Republic, Curacao, Aruba, & MANY more to make
Georgetown, TX
1,084 Posts
Joined Oct 2006
Originally posted by MrPatches
Inconsiderate of the passengers not to inform Carnival....but Carnival should have done a search before getting the authorities involved.
And how would they do that? All Carnival knew is that three people did not return to the ship at departure time. Next step alert is to alert the local authorities who know the area and may have any information such as a car accident or something of the sorts... Not seeing why you think Carnival should have been searching the island themselves, it was known the three left the ship and no record of any of them returning via the *ding* machine...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
drosphot, bka dropshot, with poor typing skills...

What I'm doing:
Carnival Freedom- October 28, 2017 - Journeys to the Panama Canal
Carnival Vista - April 21, 2018 - 8 Day Eastern Caribbean from Miami

What I've done:
Carnival Conquest - May 7, 2006 - Western Caribbean
Carnival Ecstasy - October 12, 2006 - Western Caribbean
Carnival Miracle - November 19, 2010 - Southern Caribbean
Carnival Conquest- August 7, 2011 - Western Caribbean
Carnival Triumph - April 5, 2012 - Western Caribbean
Carnival Magic - August 5, 2012 - Western Caribbean
Carnival Magic - January 13, 2013 - Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Magic- December 1, 2013 - Western Caribbean