Summit: "new" outside cabin

BuddyR

I am considering the "new" outside cabin 3144 on deck 3 of the Summit. It is the last cabin and I am concerned about noise. Has anyone seen this cabin? Any suggestions? Right now that seems to be the only new outside open on my sailing. Are the cabins any larger or do they simply have the larger window?

Laura

I had the same question and received helpful replies from 2-3 cruisers. After taking their advice and transfering to 3112, I did a search for "3112" and found 25 threads with literally hundreds of replies (and several photos ) covering that block of new cabins. You could try "3144" and probably get the same threads. There was a suggestion (from Wine-O I think) that the two end cabins 3112/3144 may be even larger than others on that block due to door positioning, so you may have lucked out with that cabin. This is the photo which was posted http://sphotos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/418529_10150638723905879_1042383933_n.jpg

Edited by suekay

We just came back from the Summit and stayed in 3136. You can read my review on this form as well. Those cabins are amazingly quiet. It was so quiet that one night we remarked that between the lack of noise and the flat calm seas you couldn't tell you were on a ship. We had absolutely no trouble with noise at all in those rooms. They were nice, they have bigger windows than some of the other Oceanview staterooms and are a great location, just a short walk to the Grand Foyer or the after staircase/Elevators.

We just came back from the Summit and stayed in 3136. You can read my review on this form as well. Those cabins are amazingly quiet. It was so quiet that one night we remarked that between the lack of noise and the flat calm seas you couldn't tell you were on a ship. We had absolutely no trouble with noise at all in those rooms. They were nice, they have bigger windows than some of the other Oceanview staterooms and are a great location, just a short walk to the Grand Foyer or the after staircase/Elevators.

Thanks for the replies so far; hopefully there will be more! I've been on the M class ships many times but am having trouble remembering if there is access from this area of "new" cabins to the aft elevators. Any comments? From 3114 would you have to go back to the guest relations area to get to elevators?

Two more questions since I haven't done an outside on the M class ships:

1) Do all other outsides have the headboard of the bed directly under the window?

2) Is the chair/couch in these newer cabins large enough for two people to sit?

Thanks!

Laura

Thanks for the replies so far; hopefully there will be more! I've been on the M class ships many times but am having trouble remembering if there is access from this area of "new" cabins to the aft elevators. Any comments? From 3114 would you have to go back to the guest relations area to get to elevators?

1) Do all other outsides have the headboard of the bed directly under the window?

Thanks!

Laura

Those cabins (3112-3144) are cordoned off from the Grand Foyer with an entrance by stateroom 3114/3116 up forward, and one back by the aft elevators by staterooms 3140-3142.

The headboards are either on the left or right bulkheads as you entered the stateroom, not under the huge picture window, and there wasn't a sofa for two, just a large over-stuffed chair. Now, that was on Summit. I understand on Infinity this large chair folded out to a one-person bed.

Thanks!

Laura

Yes you can walk to the aft staircase/elevators it is quick and easy.

I can't speak for all the Oceanview cabins but most people we talked to indicated that was the case.

The chair/couch size I guess would depend on how big the people were, we are talking a cruise ship here. ;) It is more of a large chair than a couch as I recall. We rarely sat in it because we didn't spend that much time in our room. I would call it a large chair for one. But then honeymooners can fit two into those little showers so I guess anything is possible....

A couple of reports mentioned noise, but no real specifics. I am happy with my choice!

Laura

You will be happy.

I'm just curious about the set up of your cabin, 3144. For example, 3112 is the first cabin in the group, and 3144 is the last cabin in the group.

All the cabins in that grouping, you enter into the stateroom door and you are facing the starboard side. In 3112, you entered into the door facing forward, with the bathroom directly ahead of you. With that configuration, appeared that the size of the cabin was larger than the other cabins by the width of the passageway.

I would be curious to know if 3144 is set up the same way where you would enter into the stateroom facing aft with the bathroom directly ahead of you. That would lead me to believe those two staterooms have a little extra room.

By an outside cabin do you mean an OV without a balcony?

Yes, the cabins referenced to in this thread are Oceanview (outside) -- no balcony. They are the new cabins that were put on Deck 3 in place of the conference rooms during the last refit when they also added Deck 11 AQ staterooms.

Wish I'd known the starboard OV cabins have a larger window before we booked one on the port side. Since it's a Canada/New England cruise in October, we're not springing for a verandah, but would like to get the most light possible. Still, I'm sure we'll enjoy ourselves.

Kathy

Newbie member, but glad to see all the recent reviews of the 3112-3144 rooms! After all the great comments, and seeing that picture of the huge porthole window, I have one (3144) on hold for a possible honeymoon cruise to Bermuda. Hope FI gives me the green light to book!

Wish I'd known the starboard OV cabins have a larger window before we booked one on the port side. Since it's a Canada/New England cruise in October, we're not springing for a verandah, but would like to get the most light possible. Still, I'm sure we'll enjoy ourselves.

Kathy

It's not all of the starboard side OV cabins, Kathy, just the ones in the 3112-3144 range. They were built in an area that had the larger windows from the ship configuration prior to the Soltization.

Here's that area on the Constellation, which has not been Solitcized...

ScreenShot2013-02-09at115818AM_zpsdc32a6d1.png

and here is the same area on the Summit...

ScreenShot2013-02-09at115728AM_zps0de9cf77.png

We have 3112 booked on the Summit in December.

Wine-O, do you have any pictures of 3112? I'm interested in your comments on the door orientation.

It's not all of the starboard side OV cabins, Kathy, just the ones in the 3112-3144 range. They were built in an area that had the larger windows from the ship configuration prior to the Soltization.

and here is the same area on the Summit...

ScreenShot2013-02-09at115728AM_zps0de9cf77.png

We have 3112 booked on the Summit in December.

Wine-O, do you have any pictures of 3112? I'm interested in your comments on the door orientation.

It's not shown in this photo. If you can envision the line that separates 3112 and 3114 extended out into the passageway, that's where the entrance door is located, and the bathroom is straight ahead as you enter the stateroom. You turn to your right to walk into the cabin or go straight ahead into the bathroom. The bed is on the left-hand wall with an overstuffed chair in the corner near the window. The desk is across from the chair on the right side near the window.

As you walk in the door, immediately to your left is a little space where we could store a couple of beach chairs, a suitcase, and the stateroom golf umbrella was located. The TV/Refrig was to the immediate right as you entered into the stateroom with the closets directly across from the TV.

I hope this helps and is not confusing. :confused:

BTW, the picture must be of Infinity as Summit does not have fold out sofa beds as indicated by the little black squares -- Infinity does.

Edited by Wine-O

It's not shown in this photo. If you can envision the line that separates 3112 and 3114 extended out into the passageway, that's where the entrance door is located, and the bathroom is straight ahead as you enter the stateroom. You turn to your right to walk into the cabin or go straight ahead into the bathroom. The bed is on the left-hand wall with an overstuffed chair in the corner near the window. The desk is across from the chair on the right side near the window.

As you walk in the door, immediately to your left is a little space where we could store a couple of beach chairs, a suitcase, and the stateroom golf umbrella was located. The TV/Refrig was to the immediate right as you entered into the stateroom with the closets directly across from the TV.

I hope this helps and is not confusing. :confused:

Thanks! It makes perfect sense. I got it now :)

BTW, the picture must be of Infinity as Summit does not have fold out sofa beds as indicated by the little black squares -- Infinity does.

Good point... I took the screen capture from the cruisedeckplans web site for the Summit. I wonder if they just used the same images for both ships.

Here is the same part of deck 3 from the Carnival web site...

ScreenShot2013-02-09at125929PM_zps075730bb.png

It's not shown in this photo. If you can envision the line that separates 3112 and 3114 extended out into the passageway, that's where the entrance door is located

One more question if you don't mind :D

Is there a door in the hallway that heads out towards the Grand Foyer? I assumed that it would be at the end of the hallway but it sounds like the door to 3112 is at the end of the hallway.

Thanks again!

One more question if you don't mind :D

Is there a door in the hallway that heads out towards the Grand Foyer? I assumed that it would be at the end of the hallway but it sounds like the door to 3112 is at the end of the hallway.

Thanks again!

There's a set of double doors to enter the area by Stateroom 3116. and back aft of that section by Stateroom 3140 that leads to the aft stairs/elevator.

Sorry to be a pain, but I can't help it :)

Is this the configuration that you described, Wine-O?

Summit3112_zps8f16eec6.jpg

Yup, that's it. As you can see, makes 3112 a little larger than the others. I'm just wondering if 3144 would be the same?

As you can see, it's right next to the Ladies Room, but I checked it out and it is well sectioned off -- didn't hear one flush the entire week. :)

There's a set of double doors to enter the area by Stateroom 3116. and back aft of that section by Stateroom 3140 that leads to the aft stairs/elevator.

Yup, that's it. As you can see, makes 3112 a little larger than the others. I'm just wondering if 3144 would be the same?

As you can see, it's right next to the Ladies Room, but I checked it out and it is well sectioned off -- didn't hear one flush the entire week. :)

Great! Thanks!

I've updated my picture to show the double door. All locations are approximate :D

Summit3112_zpsceb81bf8.jpg