cabin grade and verandah

Teresa Price

Hi guys,

just booking our first HAL cruise for next summer - 20 nights on Westerdam. Probably going for a [don't laugh] VD cabin but then I looked at the website and found that some cabins had 'solid steel verandahs'. Does that mean it has bars rather than the infernal plexiglass or does it mean the thing is solid so you can't see through it??? Sorry to be so dim. But not over keen on the plexiglass like the bars.

Any other tips? I would have liked a better cabin of course but this is such a long trip [and not our only holiday] that you have to be sensible,

cheers Teresa

These are solid steel but I think these balconies are only in the VF category on level 4. There is a symbol for them on the deck p,lan. It's what we have booked, hoping to move to a better balcony (we would love to get VD, LOL) if one becomes available.

Hi guys,

just booking our first HAL cruise for next summer - 20 nights on Westerdam. Probably going for a [don't laugh] VD cabin but then I looked at the website and found that some cabins had 'solid steel verandahs'. Does that mean it has bars rather than the infernal plexiglass or does it mean the thing is solid so you can't see through it??? Sorry to be so dim. But not over keen on the plexiglass like the bars.

Any other tips? I would have liked a better cabin of course but this is such a long trip [and not our only holiday] that you have to be sensible,

cheers Teresa

We had VD4164 on the Oosterdam (same class as Westerdam) to Alaska and it was a great cabin. The verandah for 4164 & 4166 is twice the size of all other verandah staterooms except the aft cabins and suites. It is because there is an emergency stairwell between the cabins and the verandah area is divided between the two cabins. Our verandah had three chairs, an ottoman, a small table and a lounge in lieu of the normal two chairs and a small table. 4164 has a tub and a shower while 4166 only has a shower.

Richard

These are solid steel but I think these balconies are only in the VF category on level 4. There is a symbol for them on the deck p,lan. It's what we have booked, hoping to move to a better balcony (we would love to get VD, LOL) if one becomes available.

My DH and I just upgraded to the VF on Noordam (rm 5065), but we are on the Verandah deck so we have the plexiglass balcony. The VF on the Upper Prominade deck has the solid bars. I'm so excited! It was only $127.50 more a person to get this room instead of the G category. I know it's not "top of the line" but it's enough for two 24 year olds going on their FIRST cruise ;) :D

I have been researching the differances in Verandah cabins on the Zuiderdam for an 2007 Alaska trip. If it helps, this is what I have come up with for the differances in catagories:

VH & VF - The lowest veranda cabin catagories. Located on the Upper Promenade (Deck 4) these cabins have a solid metal railing below the armrail instead of the see thru plexi glass. VH cabins are an even lower catagory because their veranda is a bit smaller since they are the cabins closest to the bow (at least that is how it looks on the ship deck plans) There are only 4 cabins in this catagory an all of them don't have a tub...only shower.

VE & VF - Located on the Verandah Deck (Deck 5). These cabins have a narrower balcony due to their location on the ship. The VE cabins are more midship and the VF cabins are more towards the bow/stern.

VD - Located on the Upper Promenade (Deck 4) towards the aft of the ship & between the verandah catagories with the solid metal railing and the cabins with the blocked view due to the lifeboats. There are two cabins on this deck with a larger verandah due to an emergency stairway #4164 & #4166.

VC, VB & VA - Located in various locations all over the ship. On the lower decks, they are the aft cabins with the larger verandahs and then they go up in catagory the higher you are on the ship....

The only other advice to consider is to try and stay at least a few cabins away from the glass elevators because everyone will be able to see you on your verandah...if you are concerned with privacy anyway...

I

VE & VF - Located on the Verandah Deck (Deck 5). These cabins have a narrower balcony due to their location on the ship. The VE cabins are more midship and the VF cabins are more towards the bow/stern.[/color][/i][/b]

[[/b][/color][/i]

This is very true. We were in 5076 and the balcony was very small. I had no idea when I booked the room. I would definitely pay more to not stay on this deck. At the time this was the VD category(Dec 2005) but that is not the case anymore.

Marie

Richard (Richcrow),

Did cabins 4164 and 4166 have a solid wall for the railing? We are thinking of changing our cabin to this but wasn't sure about the not being able to see through the railing if sitting on the balcony.

Marie (ExhaltHim)

Did the balcony in 5076 have room for 2 chairs and a table? We are currently in 5077 and wondered about the size. We haven't made final payment yet so may have the opportunity to change. We are booked on the Oosterdam for 12/2 sailing.

Thanks to both of you.

Linda

Richard (Richcrow),

Did cabins 4164 and 4166 have a solid wall for the railing? We are thinking of changing our cabin to this but wasn't sure about the not being able to see through the railing if sitting on the balcony.

Marie (ExhaltHim)

Did the balcony in 5076 have room for 2 chairs and a table? We are currently in 5077 and wondered about the size. We haven't made final payment yet so may have the opportunity to change. We are booked on the Oosterdam for 12/2 sailing.

Thanks to both of you.

Linda

Linda,

No, 4164 & 4166 does not have a solid railing. They have the see-through railing. I have attached some photos of the verandah for 4164. The photo taken from pierside was shot while we were in Ketchikan. We were in 5076 on the Zuiderdam. Yes, it has room fro two chairs and a small table but not a lounge chair. That verandah is much more narrow than 4164 and half as long.

Richard

2006710778_IMG_0225copy.jpg.ae8cba0a07b284ea4dea4aa215f97570.jpg

Richard,

Thanks so much for the pictures. they are great. Did you feel much motion being so close to the back? I may have to call my travel agent as it looks like 4164 may be much better than 5077. Your response is very appreciated!

Linda

Richard,

Thanks so much for the pictures. they are great. Did you feel much motion being so close to the back? I may have to call my travel agent as it looks like 4164 may be much better than 5077. Your response is very appreciated!

Linda

Linda,

I don't think that we expierenced anymore motion in 4164 than we did in 5076. It has to get pretty rough before you feel a lot of motion with these ships being equiped with gyroscope controlled stableizers IMHO.

Try to get 4164 or 4166. You won't regret it.

Hope you have a great cruise.

Richard

we were supposed to get 5019 and were upgraded to 7015. so even if you book a specific cabin the upgrade fairy might strike. ;)

We enjoyed our cabin but it was a bit crowded. It helps to know that there are two drawers under the foot of the bed and two under the loveseat. The tub was no big deal as we prefer to shower.

the veranda was just fine for sitting on, but not napping. I usually got chair with the ottoman, and DH was stuck with the regular chair.

You'll love your trip!

We've never been upgraded, so who knows. The upgrade fairy may visit us. Thanks so much for the info. We are sooo looking forward to this trip! I'm sure we'll have a great time whatever cabin we are in. Thanks everyone!

• 3 months later...

Interesting thread....I've enjoyed reading through it all. I've been perusing the deck plans and photos of the ship for a couple weeks....you'd think I was choosing a house in which to live!!! ;)

Anyway, we're finally booked on the Noordam 2/7 in VC5150. Anyone know about the size of the verandah in this area of the ship?

Last year we lucked out on the Caribbean Princess. We were on the Caribe deck and the balconies were twice as large on that deck than on the ones above us!

I toyed with taking a "guarantee" but I'm the type that wants to know where I'll be....I wonder if the upgrade fairy will visit me???

We booked a gty cabin, VF gty, for our Nov. Noordam cruise. Our cabin has been assigned - it is VA8116 on the Navigation deck. Will we feel alot of motion since it's near the stern? If anyone has any info on this cabin or similar ones, it would be appreciated. This is our first HAL cruise. Thanks :)

My DH and I just upgraded to the VF on Noordam (rm 5065), but we are on the Verandah deck so we have the plexiglass balcony. The VF on the Upper Prominade deck has the solid bars. I'm so excited! It was only $127.50 more a person to get this room instead of the G category. I know it's not "top of the line" but it's enough for two 24 year olds going on their FIRST cruise ;) :D

We had 5065 on the Oosterdam (sister to Noordam) in April. I thought it was a great cabin. I poured over the deck plans before deciding on that cabin. My experience on the ship confirmed my judgement. You will look out over the lifeboat on the deck below. It will not obstruct your view outward at all. You won't be able to see anything happening at the waterline or on the dock close to the ship, but what is there to see? The top of the lifeboat is about 8-10 feet below the railing of your balcony.

With the exception of the VA aft-facing cabins, there are no Vx category cabins that I would prefer over this one. As far as I can see, the other cabins offer no real difference; they are just more expensive. All of the balconies on the Vx category cabins on the Vista ships (again, with the exception of the aft VA cabins) are pretty much exactly the same size. There are a few that have slightly larger, angled balconies, at the point where the superstructure narrows over the lifeboats.

When we booked our cruise next April on Zuiderdam, I choose a VE cabin (5113), only because they were only offering VF guarantees and I didn't want to take a chance on getting one of the VF cabins on deck 4, with the solid steel railings. If I could have been assigned 5065, I would have taken it.

Have a nice trip.

Paul Noble

We had 5065 on the Oosterdam (sister to Noordam) in April. I thought it was a great cabin. I poured over the deck plans before deciding on that cabin. My experience on the ship confirmed my judgement. You will look out over the lifeboat on the deck below. It will not obstruct your view outward at all. You won't be able to see anything happening at the waterline or on the dock close to the ship, but what is there to see? The top of the lifeboat is about 8-10 feet below the railing of your balcony.

With the exception of the VA aft-facing cabins, there are no Vx category cabins that I would prefer over this one. As far as I can see, the other cabins offer no real difference; they are just more expensive. All of the balconies on the Vx category cabins on the Vista ships (again, with the exception of the aft VA cabins) are pretty much exactly the same size. There are a few that have slightly larger, angled balconies, at the point where the superstructure narrows over the lifeboats.

When we booked our cruise next April on Zuiderdam, I choose a VE cabin (5113), only because they were only offering VF guarantees and I didn't want to take a chance on getting one of the VF cabins on deck 4, with the solid steel railings. If I could have been assigned 5065, I would have taken it.

Have a nice trip.

Paul Noble

Thanks for all the info, Paul! 5150 is toward the aft of the ship, so doesn't appear to look out over the lifeboats. I, too, poured over the deck plans! What a decision! ;)

On the Caribbean Princess, our balcony was 9' x 10' and I'm wondering if these are similar in size?

Lisa

Thanks so much for the info on cabins. I have upgraded our two VE cabins for two VC's. Your info about the verandas on the VE's being smaller and info from another thread which said that the VE and VF verandas looked down on life boats were enough for me to upgrade to a VC.

Thanks again

Mary

Lisa

Thanks so much for the info on cabins. I have upgraded our two VE cabins for two VC's. Your info about the verandas on the VE's being smaller and info from another thread which said that the VE and VF verandas looked down on life boats were enough for me to upgrade to a VC.

Thanks again

Mary

LOL, Mary! I had cabin VE5113 overlooking the lifeboats on the 2/7 Noordam, and after learning, here on the board, that they did indeed look over the lifeboats, and by viewing RevNeal's lovely Noordam photos, I quickly changed to a VC cabin as well! ;)

Our friends, with whom we cruise (and he is also our TA) are booked in VE5095 next to the glass elevator! I nicely tried to tell him that, but he's the TA, so I hope he knows what he's in for!

Sheila

Lisa

Thanks again

Mary

That's exactly why I have upgraded from VE5113 to VC5150. I would find it very distracting to look over the lifeboats. The friends with whom we cruise are in VE5095 which is right next to the glass elevator. I mentioned that to them in an email, but he's our TA and I assume he knows what he's doing! ;)

On the Princess, we had a 9 x 10 balcony which seemed huge, plexiglass railing and all. They had a balcony half the size with a metal railing. I don't think he pours over deck plans like I do....and he doesn't read cruise critic either which is his loss, I guess.

There is an excellent web site which has all of the information that you would ever need to make a good cabin selection or most anything else about the ship you are booked on. It can be reached at www.cruisedeckplans.com. There is a free-use section and another section you can access if you pay a small one-time fee (couple of $$s). If you cruise very much, paying the fee is well worth it.

Richard

- it is VA8116 on the Navigation deck. Will we feel alot of motion since it's near the stern? If anyone has any info on this cabin or similar ones, it would be appreciated.

We had 8010 on the Baltic and 7124 on the Mediterranean. We felt some motion only on our first night in 8010, nothing in 7124. It really depends on sea conditions. :cool:

Archived