Cremation/Burial at sea ?

Tobey 1968

I was on the Oosterdam three weeks ago and chatted with one of the officers that was on the Lido deck. I was asking about people throwing things overboard and in the course of the conversation, it turned to cremated ashes. He has heard of it, but knew little about it.

Does anybody know if any cruise lines provide this service IE are there rules regarding which deck and time, etc ? Do they "lend" the chaplain for it ?

I know that years ago, another cruise line provided burial at sea.

Yes, there have been a couple of threads describing very nice ceremonies provided by HAL for the scattering of ashes. They even give a certificate recording the lat/long coordinates of the event.

Here is one from a year ago:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=996884

p.s. - Welcome to Cruise Critic :)

As KK said it is done. Was on the Amsterdam about 7 years ago for that exact purpose, spreading a friends ashes off of a cruise ship. It was all arrange thru Seattle. She was a travel agent and that is what she wanted. We had a group of about 40 on board to celebrate her life. I don't know how quiet it was, we used the Father on board for two services, he was so gracious. One service was done on land in Stika, on a bridge on the way up to the Eagle sanctuary. The other was on board off the fantail well below decks where other passengers wouldn't be. Hal did a wonderful job, it could not have been done better.

Interesting topic. I was under the impression that this was illegal. Nice to know I am wrong since that is where I want my ashes to go~!

I thought it was illegal too. I remember some controversy when one of the Beach Boys died and they wanted to bury him at sea but it wasn't permitted.

However, according to wikipedia: "A funeral director is not required for the burial of cremated remains at sea however full body burials require specific preparation to ensure that the body or coffin sinks quickly. California is the only U.S. State that does not permit full body burials. The Environmental Protection Agency regulations for full body burials at sea in the United States require that the site of internment be three (3) nautical miles (3.5 mi / 5.6 km) from land and at a depth of at least 600 feet (180 m). In the northeastern United States this may require travel in excess of 30 miles (48 km) for a suitable site." Also, "Usually, either the captain (or commanding officer) of the ship or aircraft or a representative of the religion performs the ceremony. Legally, a captain can bury remains at sea, provided that environmental regulations are satisfied."

editing, because I found an article about the Beach Boy: "Dennis Wilson, the drummer for the Beach Boys, has been buried at sea by the Coast Guard as his widow and other relatives looked on. The sea burial was carried out Wednesday in accordance with his wishes and by President Reagan's intervention. This was necessary because, without cremation, burials at sea are illegal in California waters and are allowed only for Coast Guard or Navy veterans. Such burials must take place more than three miles offshore in at least 100 fathoms."

I was on the Oosterdam three weeks ago and chatted with one of the officers that was on the Lido deck. I was asking about people throwing things overboard and in the course of the conversation, it turned to cremated ashes. He has heard of it, but knew little about it.

Does anybody know if any cruise lines provide this service IE are there rules regarding which deck and time, etc ? Do they "lend" the chaplain for it ?

I know that years ago, another cruise line provided burial at sea.

Interesting topic. My sister, brother-in-law and I were on a Princess Panama Canal cruise from LA to FLL in January and the day before we were to disembark, he suffered a ruptured bowel from undiagnosed diverticulitis. We were too far from land to medivac him. Long story but we stayed in FL (in a hotel) for almost a month until he was stable enough to be medivaced to CA, where we live. A few days later, he passed away. He's been cremated and my sister is planning to take a cruise next year and arrange to have his ashes "buried" at sea. It's what he would have liked. So, any information on which cruiselines do this would be appreciated.

If I knew I was about to die, I would book a cruise and when I croaked, I could have a burial at sea and we could avoid all those expenses that the funeral companies charge like $4500 for just making arrangements. I wonder what the cruise line charges for slipping you over the side. No chaplain needed, just a quick down and out. Would we get credit for the days I'm not on board?

• 3 weeks later...
If I knew I was about to die, I would book a cruise and when I croaked, I could have a burial at sea and we could avoid all those expenses that the funeral companies charge like $4500 for just making arrangements. I wonder what the cruise line charges for slipping you over the side. No chaplain needed, just a quick down and out. Would we get credit for the days I'm not on board?
Send me the same way. DW says she will take the OBC.

<snip>

So, any information on which cruiselines do this would be appreciated.

Near the top of this thread, Jtl513 (John) posted a link to a very complete description writtin only about a year ago of a beautiful burial at sea conducted on Maasdam.

Here is the link he posted:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=996884

"WeLoveCruising" went into great detail so you may wish to read it.

As KK said it is done. Was on the Amsterdam about 7 years ago for that exact purpose, spreading a friends ashes off of a cruise ship. It was all arrange thru Seattle. She was a travel agent and that is what she wanted. We had a group of about 40 on board to celebrate her life. I don't know how quiet it was, we used the Father on board for two services, he was so gracious. One service was done on land in Stika, on a bridge on the way up to the Eagle sanctuary. The other was on board off the fantail well below decks where other passengers wouldn't be. Hal did a wonderful job, it could not have been done better.

Melodie: Can't believe it was 7 years ago that Nancy passed away. Bob shared all the info with me once he got home. HAL did a spectactular job. I was told by HAL I was the first with such a request in May 98 when I put Fred's ashes to sea. It ws simple, quiet and private. I too used the Priest on board, Father Fitz, as he wished to be called. He offered generic prayers since we are Protestant. I even sent roses petals over the stern from a boquet Fred's sister sent for that purpose. Now Fred lies off Bella Bella, BC on the Inside Passage. There was no certificate in those days and no invitations. but still memorable. I was so glad I was able to fulfill Fred's final request. Father Fitzgerald, ships Doctor, which is our family doctor, and the food & beverage manager attended along with a few friends I had met on board. Gail

Seabourndt Dave

Your TA can contact Seattle to make arrangements. I had to contact my

TA on behalf of a client. I think it is the head person in Group Sales who

co-ordinates this. It is not the thing a reservationist would know just ringing up.

Sincere sympathy on your loss.

• 1 year later...
A very peaceful and dignified service can be arranged by contacting ships services. The biggest problem is transporting the cremains to the ship, the TSA would interested in anything you are taking aboard a plane.

That is why we are doing it on a cruise we can drive to!

Archived