Mexican cooking class in Cozumel?

jennismom

I did this and also did one with my daughter at Mr. Sanchos. Liked both of them although they were quite different. The one at Playa Mia was definitely more fun-oriented and the Mr. Sancho's more authentic cooking. Take a look at the links in my signature for pictures.

We have the one off RCCL booked in November. I compared prices to Mr. Santos and adding the price of the taxi to and from it was actually less expensive to go with the ships excursion. We don't get all you can eat at the beach but I'm sure the food we make will be enough. We're really looking forward to this - something different to do!

We are considering the Mexican cooking class in Cozumel offered by RCI. Can anyone offer their experiences, comments, tips, etc.? We would appreciate the input!

Thanks.

I just got back from Enchantment of the Seas and did this class. We had the most fun ever!! If you send me your e-mail I will send photos.....you will not regret it if you book this - trust me!! And the food we made was DELICIOUS!!!

adamskim45@yahoo.com

Loved the Playa Mia Cooking Class.

They do 2 sessions per day, the morning one was through another cruise line, and RCI was in the afternoon when we did it.

We had some time in the morning to explore a bit, then met the excursion rep on the dock, they put us in a taxi van (paid for) and sent us to Playa Mia beach, where we got our bracelets that said we were there for the cooking class.

WE had a bit of a wait for our class to start, but weren't sure how long, so didn't go to the beach, stayed on the covered food area. They said we were welcome to try the buffet (snack stuff out when we were there ) and order draft beer from the bar for free, which we did.

The class was great! You are set up in stations of 4 people, I think a max of 16 per class. We had 10 total.

The ingredients were partially prepped, and you would mix or assemble them, and we made a fish dish, (could sub chicken), a dessert, which we learned some tips for decorating, a vegetable item and possibly one other thing?

The chef's assistant's would finish up the items, and when we were done cooking we went to another level of the bright pink cooking class building to be served our meal with mexican wines.

The drinks were free-flowing, we had our own bartender for the class group- margaritas, shots, beer, whatever!

Everyone had a blast. It was very easy to overindulge in the booze. You got a recipe card at the end.

After the class we got to stay at Playa Mia, which has some shops, and all the beach stuff. Taxi back at your leisure, but also paid for I believe.

Huge thumbs up for this excursion. The chef is actually French-trained (assuming the same chef is there), and they really go out of their way to make sure everyone has a great time.

Loved the Playa Mia Cooking Class.

They do 2 sessions per day, the morning one was through another cruise line, and RCI was in the afternoon when we did it.

We had some time in the morning to explore a bit, then met the excursion rep on the dock, they put us in a taxi van (paid for) and sent us to Playa Mia beach, where we got our bracelets that said we were there for the cooking class.

WE had a bit of a wait for our class to start, but weren't sure how long, so didn't go to the beach, stayed on the covered food area. They said we were welcome to try the buffet (snack stuff out when we were there ) and order draft beer from the bar for free, which we did.

The class was great! You are set up in stations of 4 people, I think a max of 16 per class. We had 10 total.

The ingredients were partially prepped, and you would mix or assemble them, and we made a fish dish, (could sub chicken), a dessert, which we learned some tips for decorating, a vegetable item and possibly one other thing?

The chef's assistant's would finish up the items, and when we were done cooking we went to another level of the bright pink cooking class building to be served our meal with mexican wines.

The drinks were free-flowing, we had our own bartender for the class group- margaritas, shots, beer, whatever!

Everyone had a blast. It was very easy to overindulge in the booze. You got a recipe card at the end.

After the class we got to stay at Playa Mia, which has some shops, and all the beach stuff. Taxi back at your leisure, but also paid for I believe.

Huge thumbs up for this excursion. The chef is actually French-trained (assuming the same chef is there), and they really go out of their way to make sure everyone has a great time.

Thanks for the comprehensive review!!! Now I can hardly wait!

How hot was it? Was it all outside?

I'm just worried it will be too hot for my mom plus the temp of the stove, etc?

Maggie

The class is held indoors in an air conditioned building. And you eat your lunch that you have prepared indoors also - I have lots of pics - and would be happy to forward them - send me your e-mail.

adamskim45@yahoo.com

If you are looking for a more serious cooking class, I can't say enough good things about Josefina's cooking classes. This was my review from April:

My father and I went downtown to “Josefina’s Kitchen” for cooking lessons. This isn’t like the big tour group “cooking classes” where the point is to down as many free drinks as you can with 50 other people while making pico or guacamole. No, this is a private lesson, just the two of us, in the kitchen of an excellent cook. She first took us to the local market. It’s amazing- it’s only 4 blocks from the main street, but we didn’t see a single tourist. She took us to the produce seller, and showed us how to pick out the best fruits and vegetables- mangos, avocados, cactus leaves, tomatoes, etc. The next stop was the fish monger, where she pointed to a beautiful grouper, that the seller then proceeded to fillet and skin. After that, it was the masa stall, for the corn meal to make tortillas. We then walked back to her house, and began cooking. We made red and green salsa, guacamole, a Mayan salsa with dried pumpkin seeds, grouper ceviche (served with a Dos Equis, of course), homemade tortillas, quesadillas, refried beans, more grouper with a Mayan sauce, fruit tea, and margaritas. All of it was delicious, although I might have left something out. A delightful woman, who was an excellent teacher (my father’s a professor, and commented on her teaching skills).

I really was an amazing experience, well worth the cost. You can email Josefina at "jose65bis at hotmail dot com".

We also went to Josefine's a few weeks ago. It was fantastic, a very unique experience. We had a group of 8 women. I think we had most of the food groups that Garn posted. We had Red Snapper and the fanciest

most unusual Chille Rellenos I have ever had. The Hibiscus fruit tea was

very thirst quenching. I could go on and on. If anyone is interested do not hesitate to go. Donna

I had wanted to take this tour on 2 different cruises, but due to my daughter not being 18 I could not. The year she turned 18 I was so excited, she was not. She did not want to do this, said it was old ladyish. I told her that I did zip lining, horse back riding and cave tubing for her and she would do cooking with me. Needless to say, she loved it. She even talked her new husband into doing it when they went on their honeymoon. Six months later they cruised with her husband's brother and wife, they did it again and all loved it. I think this is a great tour for anyone who enjoys cooking..

Thanks to the compliments I have read in this thread, I booked a class with Josefine in two weeks! Wohoo!

I just got my directions but how easy was it to find? And the cost of the taxi? Could we walk?

Again, thanks for the info. I am sure this will be a highlight of our trip.

Sheila

This thread helped out a lot thanks to all the great information! My only question is what kind of food do you make? I love Mexican, but I am going with my Gma who likes Mexican...just not the spicy side of it? Any thoughts?

Also, anyone book this through Carnival? Can you spend more time on the beach than just one hour?

This thread helped out a lot thanks to all the great information! My only question is what kind of food do you make? I love Mexican, but I am going with my Gma who likes Mexican...just not the spicy side of it? Any thoughts?

Also, anyone book this through Carnival? Can you spend more time on the beach than just one hour?

we're booked to do the Carnival cooking class on October 27. I'll try and post a review when we get back.

From what I've read on the Carnival site, the cost includes transportation to and from Playa Mia, the cooking class with open bar which takes about an one and a half hours, then you get the rest of the time at the beach on the all-inclusive plan. So more food and drink if you want. Our tour last 5 1/2 hours so it looks like plenty of time at the beach. I suppose you could always take a taxi back sooner if needed.

If Gma doesn't like what she cooked she can always get something from the buffet since it's included. But I bet there will be something she likes in the cooking class. It will be geared toward tourists so nothing killer, unless you do that yourself.

If you can wait a few weeks, I'll post first hand info then.

The food wasn't spicy at all. Just delicious!

I did this through RCCL and it was very easy. Take a look at the pictures in the link in my signature and you'll see what we did!

Thanks for the pics of the cooking excursion, my wife will LOVE this.....and I will too, the Grouper looks great!!

Archived