Epic Balcony Bed Position-Does it Really Make a Difference

new2crus

I booked a balcony cabin on the Epic before I knew about the difference in the positioning of the bed. I have a cabin with the bed near the door and the sofa near the balcony. After reading numerous reviews, most people say this makes the room much smaller. I would like to know if it really makes a big difference. I've talked with my TA and I can change to a different cabin with the bed near the balcony without any additional cost. Should I do it or just stay with the cabin I have? Just looking for some insight from someone who may have stay in this type of cabin.

I stayed in a room with the bed by the bath and it really wasn't an issue. If you like everything else about your room (location, size of balcony, etc.) don't let it scare you off. The advantage of having the bed by the balcony is that 1) you're further away from the loud toilet if someone flushes at night, and 2) the room "feels" bigger when you walk in. To the other poster, the foot of the bed is still a few feet from the sink, so you're not sitting on the bed washing your hands. :)

We booked a BA Balcony 10th deck 'bump out' on the Epic (10195) which looked to me like a desireable cabin. I found out later that bed was by bath but I opted to hold onto cabin since the only other availability was 9th deck not on bump out. Apparently lifeboats can be a bit of an issue since they extend from the ship. Anyway, am hoping for the best and am bouyed by SDMike's comments. Will be with my wife of 30+ years so if it doesn't work we probably have more problems than the bed location in the cabin.

We've had both when we've cruised as a family of four (adjoining rooms). I like the room with the bed by the balcony, feels more spacious. In my mind I think one has more closet space than the other, but that might have to do with the connecting rooms. Either way, she's a beautiful ship :-)

We just got off the Epic (nov 10 - 17th) and had our bed by the bathroom. Certainly not a problem. In fact we thought we liked it better than the bed by the balcony, since we had lots of room to stand at the balcony door and look out. We had 2 days of rain driving onto our balcony.

Either way, the rooms are small, but functional.

Karen

I am looking at SDMike's pictures and I agree with Karen. The room will look bigger walking in with the bed by the balcony but the room seems much more practical with the open space by the balcony where I will be standing in the room and going out to the balcony.

Eric

I haven't been on the Epic. I knew about the sink in the room (why?), but in the pictures it looks like the shower is open in the room too? Is it? I can deal with the sink, but having the shower not in a separate room would bother me.

Hopefully I am just seeing it wrong. It all looks very small, though.

I haven't been on the Epic. I knew about the sink in the room (why?), but in the pictures it looks like the shower is open in the room too? Is it? I can deal with the sink, but having the shower not in a separate room would bother me.

Hopefully I am just seeing it wrong. It all looks very small, though.

You are seeing correctly. There is a privacy curtain.

Our configuration is bed by the bathroom. We are cruising with friends in the neighboring room, so couldn't change it.

Anyway, we'll be on her tomorrow, so we'll find our for sure then!

It really des not make that big of a difference but given a choice I always pick the bed by the balcony. Have a great time on the Epic

We'd like to try the Epic. The room configuration bothers me, though. Are you saying the shower is not in a separate room but is accessed right in that hall, but has a privacy curtain? Ack, what were they thinking?

Yep. That's what we're saying.

We found the layout great for my family. We were able to multi-task (shower, toilet, sink and changing at the same time). It bothers others. If you are not comfortable with this setup, the Epic has other rooms that are different. Most of the suites have more traditional bathrooms.

There are lots and lots of threads about the Epic bathrooms back from 2010 when she first started sailing. It's turned into a non-issue on here (thankfully)

Sdmike, are these photos from a standard balcony room or mini-suite with balcony? I read your Epic review, but now I forget. I am trying to determine if there will be enough room to put my kids' peapods (like pop up tents) on the floor.

Thanks!

Those are standard balcony rooms

Sdmike, are these photos from a standard balcony room or mini-suite with balcony? I read your Epic review, but now I forget. I am trying to determine if there will be enough room to put my kids' peapods (like pop up tents) on the floor.

Thanks!

I thought I'd pipe in here - we had a mini suite and they are bigger than the room that Mike has shown in his photos but not that much bigger. I really don't think that you'd have the space to use a kid's pop up tent.

Archived