Has your enthusiasm ever ruined someone's cruise?

gailc

We will be cruising with a group. 3 couples will be going on their 1st cruise. Is it possible to give them too much information & not let them discover the cruise on their own? I think some information is valuable like be sure to take your Doc's, Passport/Birth Certificate, & Travel Clock.

I get very excited when someone cruises especially 1st timers. I need to be careful so I don't ruin it for them by telling them too much.

Gail

I have the same problem, I made a 22, yes 22:eek: page brochure for those going with us that have never been on a cruise. In the process of making their excursion brochure now that we have what's available. I hope I don't ruin it either but don't want them to be unhappy because they didn't bring the thermal mug or alarm clock :D

BonVoyage

Dawna

Having worked in an industry that required doc reading and forms that had to be completed and filled out properly, I can tell you that MOST people don't read 1/2 of what you send them.

You are dealing with adults, correct? It's one thing to offer a short fact and tip sheet, quite another to send out a novel on the cruising! Give them points of references and let them go at it. Save your time, let them have the joy of doing some of their own self discovery.

I have learned not to go overboard giving people advice. The main problem is that as helpful as these boards are, what you read here are individual opinions and experiences, not "facts" per se. A couple of years ago we cruised on Golden Princess, and for months before our cruise multiple posters on the Princess board were raving about having brunch at Sabatinis (Princess' up-charge Italian restaurant), and how the brunch included unlimited champagne. I mentioned this to my inlaws who got all excited about it and booked the brunch for the group. Of course, when we got there, there was no champagne, they had never heard of champagne, etc. I felt like an idiot and a total sucker. Now I tend to keep my mouth shut about possible extra amenities that I read about on the boards.

i totally agree regarding people not reading anything too long. when i organize a trip i do some basic info in writing about our itinerary for my group but i don't expect them to really read anything too long. my groups trusts me enough to just sort of follow me, at this point.

after a certain amount of time, your group will see that you know all the hidden gems and secrets because you did your homework and they, too will tend to look to you for advice about what to do while on the trip.

I have learned not to go overboard giving people advice. The main problem is that as helpful as these boards are' date=' what you read here are individual opinions and experiences, not "facts" per se. A couple of years ago we cruised on Golden Princess, and for months before our cruise multiple posters on the Princess board were raving about having brunch at Sabatinis (Princess' up-charge Italian restaurant), and how the brunch included unlimited champagne. I mentioned this to my inlaws who got all excited about it and booked the brunch for the group. Of course, when we got there, there was no champagne, they had never heard of champagne, etc. I felt like an idiot and a total sucker. Now I tend to keep my mouth shut about possible extra amenities that I read about on the boards.[/quote']

The industries policies are living documents, they change all the time. The ships tweak this and that, try something out to see if it works and if it doesn't it's gone the next season, etc. Just year to year there can be several changes that occur on the same ship!

Most on these boards are not experts by any means, but an extremely broad point of view and a loose point of reference, not to mention it's suppose to be fun! But the vast majority don't have broadbase cruise line experience so their sight is limited.

This is where the tour director really comes in handy and can be a wonderful resource. The previous poster is correct in that once people know that you've got facts at hand, they will come seek you out for the answers to their own areas of interest.

We are going on our 5th cruise in April. Each time it is like my first time to me because I get so excited. We have talked other couples into going with us. My husband and I worried that we would build it up so much that it would spoil the excitement for our fellow cruisers. But all the couples that went for the first time with us (there have been 3 couples) have all told us that our description couldn't even come close to the enjoyment that they had. Needless to say, they are now cruise enthusiasts. And they are not gushing to their friends!! One couple will be booking their 4th cruise and another will be booking their 3rd cruise.

You're lucky. Ours went the otherway! We are very enthusiastic about cruising but are laid back, go with the flow people. I can't bother musting up the energy on vacation to get stressed over little things like standing in line for the tender.

But the couple that so graciously decided to come with us and try cruising was a couple from h-e double toothpicks! Complain? Good heavens, from the moment their feet came off the plane till after we got back. He found fault everywhere with everything. He was too loud, too abusive, too drunk and way too much of an embaressement for us and his wife. He behaved like a spoiled two year old. Claimed games were fixed, Marriage show contestants were plants, that guy shouldn't be allowed to buy three horses for the horse race, etc. It was shell shocking day one, day two nerve wracking and by day four I was furious and had a few things of my own to say. I couldn't wait till they flew home!

I will continue to be enthusiastic about cruising but I am REALLY going to have to think hard about inviting someone to cruise with us.

I just finished a cruise that I organized for 24 people. I gave them information but told each one that I was not responsible for their enjoyment. I wanted to be clear that I was not going to babysit them either. We all had a great trip. I did get material together for them but like most people they only read part of it. I am putting together another group and have told them the same thing. Everyone has different taste and expectations. I will continue to try to be helpful but this is my vacation too.

Karen

One of the problems with giving out too much information, and being over-enthusiastic is that you might set up unrealistic expectations for everyone.

I know for myself I have often gotten excited about something and really pumped it up-- but when the people around me didn't get as excited as me, I was dissappointed. And even though they had fun, it wasn't as much fun as I expected them to have... go figure :rolleyes:

And to cruisindawn....I understand the 22 page brochure thing -- I am a project addict and love putting things together for people. But even still, I think editing that down to half that will really be appreciated by your group. You don't want to overwhelm them or scare them either -- they might think if its that complicated, it won't be any fun.

One of the problems with giving out too much information, and being over-enthusiastic is that you might set up unrealistic expectations for everyone.

I know for myself I have often gotten excited about something and really pumped it up-- but when the people around me didn't get as excited as me, I was dissappointed. And even though they had fun, it wasn't as much fun as I expected them to have... go figure :rolleyes:

That's exactly what I was going to say.

Plus, when we went in September with first timers, and I found myself feeling nervous as though it would be my fault if they didn't have a great time! I'm a pretty laid back person, so for me to feel nervous on vacation is a first.

I'm glad you brought this subject up. I sometimes try to be "too" helpful when I hear that my friends are going on a first cruise. However, no matter what suggestions I give, they never seem to follow my advice. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I have a new delima. We have a group of friends that will be taking their first ever cruise on the NCL Majesty out of Charleston. I have printed a few reviews out for them that give helpful tips on embarkation, parking and suggestions while on board the ship. Some of the reviews are less than desirable about the ship. On the other hand, since they are first time cruisers, they may not notice all the bad that a seasoned cruiser would notice.

What would you do? Give them the reviews and not say anything unless asked or not give them anything and let them fend for themselves? We talk up cruising so much, that I am afraid they may wonder what all the hype is about after cruising on an old run down ship!

BTW - We are also looking at this ship for a less expensive get away because it is so close to our home. We will be prepared for the let down, but hope to have a good time anyway. Has anyone on this board cruised on the NCL Majesty (not to be confused with the Majesty OTS)?

I'm glad you brought this subject up. I sometimes try to be "too" helpful when I hear that my friends are going on a first cruise. However, no matter what suggestions I give, they never seem to follow my advice. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I have a new delima. We have a group of friends that will be taking their first ever cruise on the NCL Majesty out of Charleston. I have printed a few reviews out for them that give helpful tips on embarkation, parking and suggestions while on board the ship. Some of the reviews are less than desirable about the ship. On the other hand, since they are first time cruisers, they may not notice all the bad that a seasoned cruiser would notice.

What would you do? Give them the reviews and not say anything unless asked or not give them anything and let them fend for themselves? We talk up cruising so much, that I am afraid they may wonder what all the hype is about after cruising on an old run down ship!

BTW - We are also looking at this ship for a less expensive get away because it is so close to our home. We will be prepared for the let down, but hope to have a good time anyway. Has anyone on this board cruised on the NCL Majesty (not to be confused with the Majesty OTS)?

I would keep the reviews to myself. They are very subjective and on your first cruise I seem to think that only those that always complain will find things to complain about. They have nothing to compare it to :D If they come back disappointed then explain that all ships are not equal. You didn't recommend the ship did you? hehe We had nothing to complain about on the Grand but now after several cruises we would have complained about the layout of the ship, hehe.

BTW: I did inform everyone that they are to do as they want and if we happen to run into each other that's great. We will meet for dinner each night and talk about our day. The brochure is very basic. I guess with 5 ports there is a bit to talk about. Just gave then a list of shore excursion offered from the ship and others we would feel comfortable recommending like Captain Marvin's. Tips page gets me off the hook for things. I just want them to be prepared for things like missing a port so they don't come running to me and ask why, wonder why they have to tip and can't wear jeans in the dining room!! hehe.

BonVoyage

Dawna

I'm the enthusiastic type who can easily talk your ear off and give you every detail. Even if you don't need it . . I'm there! :rolleyes:

We invited another couple to go on our last cruise. I made sure NOT to tell them about the layout of the ship (Conquest) or the little bowl full of samples in the bathroom or the exciting nightly newsletter (Compass or Capers). That's all a part of the brand new, first time on a cruise excitement. If somebody would have told me about the samples in the bathroom, I would have expected it. Since I didn't know about them, It was a great bonus!

I felt soooo bad. By the time we finally got on the ship, he was grouchy as can be. Swearing he would never take another cruise. By the end of the 3rd day, he was a different person though! He loved it! It was just all the stress of the flight, hotel, rental car, checking in, dragging the luggage around etc etc that he didn't like. Whew! It wasn't a total loss.

Now he's ready to go on another!

I'm a walking cruise ad, and our friends and family rely on me to do the research and pick the cruise. It amazes me how little information they actually want. I've found that the more I write, the more they tune me out. They'll read a paragraph but not a page. So I give out my advice in dribbles and usually wait for them to ask.

Recently someone asked me what costs extra on board and I emailed several paragraphs back. I'd be willing to bet he skim read it, but at least my tushie is covered.

I hound people in my group until they have a good birth certificate or passport. I monitor when the final payment is due and nag them until it's paid. I pester people until they have flight arrangements. At that point, I back off.

I'd like to tell my newbies that they will have to get up at dawn in St. Thomas, but it would be meaningless to them at this point. I want to explain what "smart casual" means, but they haven't asked yet. It kind of drives me crazy that they don't want more information but oh well.

What would you do? QUOTE]

Edit the info. Only keep the pertinent info and delete the rest. Do a bullet form.

As far as Norwegian, please don't flame me cause my opinion is really just my opinion, but I never suggest it. I just had a very lengthy conversation with someone who wanted to compare it to 4.5 Star RCCL Serenade and 5 star Raddison Mariner! I had to choke to keep from laughing. If you've cruised before and are happy with the other lines, I think you will notice the difference and not enjoy it as well, but again, my 2 cents worth. How about an early bird special booking? Great rates, great cabin choices!

For those that are making the novels for their groups, really, less is more and as much as we want to be sooo helpful, these are adults!! Let them act like it!

You'd be amazed how much people won't read or better yet, retain!

There are many resources for info and they should bare some of the resposibility in of finding out what they're in for and how best to prepare. It's fine to give dining room tips, such as two formals on a 7 night and resort wear or causual ... but reprint all excursion info?? It's readily available on line, in many ticket books and on the ship. Suggest to book early and where they can do so and let it go. Why re-invent the wheel, how about save a tree instead!! Tell them where they can find the info and offer a list of private companies for alternatives.

Sometimes I think we're enablers, in a bad way...We do so much for these people they never want to take responsibility for themselves!

I would keep the reviews to myself. They are very subjective and on your first cruise I seem to think that only those that always complain will find things to complain about. They have nothing to compare it to :D If they come back disappointed then explain that all ships are not equal. You didn't recommend the ship did you?
NO, I did not recommend the ship. We didn't even know they were cruising until someone in the group told us. I asked which ship and then said "Ooooh! Sounds nice!" and nothing else. They were soooo excited and besides, it was too late for them to cancel and book something else, so I just kept my mouth shut.

I will just keep the reviews to myself. Now, what to do about our cruise?

I usually just print out TP Keller's tip calculator pages for their cruise line and sailing, and explain that this how much they need to set aside for tips at the end of their cruise. I answer any questions, and offer a few hints and tips, but I really don't offer that much information, "your experience may vary". This usually refers to co-workers, who are going on their first cruise.:)

I am so happy to read all the responses. I had no idea I would get this many. One of the couples that has cruised before told me it's more fun to get the cruise experience on your own & not be told everything before you take your 1st cruise. It sounded strange to me when she said that, but the more I thought about it I decided she might be right.

I remember when we went on our 1st cruise that I didn't know anything. Somehow I made it through it without lots of information. The only thing I remember was filling out the information in our Documents. We were at my daughter & husband's house the night before, & we all filled them out together. I also wasn't crazy about the cruise. I'm one of those who likes more information so I'm better prepared for a new adventure. I didn't have a computer at the time & knew nothing about C.C.

We will all be getting together to answer any questions they might have. They've started to ask some already. One of the girls loves to research & get information so she's bought a book & goes on the computer.

I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to tell them about C.C. & let them research. Cruise Clues is another good site.

I will try to restrain myself even though it will be hard to do. I do have a Tip list, but I'll only give it to anyone that really wants it. Mine is about 3 pages long although I do add to it once in a while. It's also good to know that I'm not the only one with this problem!

Gail

To the OP

I loved your question! Yes, I have over done it with people. Cruising is a passion for all of us here and when you are passionate about something you tend to go overboard ;)

We can't help it. :D

It is hard but I try now to tame myself. I do feel that my over-excitement about cruising could cause very unrealistic expectations. I have never had a bad cruise, I don't think I could. I love being on a ship..heck, I love being on a boat! Just put me in the water and I'm happy...not everyone is as enthusiastic as me and I have to try to remember that.

I am currently organizing a "girl's cruise" with some of my co-workers. It's been a really interesting experience, as I don't want to be responsible for their cruise happiness. I purposely didn't "pick" the ship or the itinerary, but provided the group a list of possible options for the week we wanted to go and let majority rule. Every time we decide something, I'm amazed at the outcome. I "assumed" the group would want to do a short cruise since most had not cruised before and several have young children. But they picked a 6-night Radiance cruise. YEAH! I assumed money would be an issue (which of course it really is) and most would book inside cabins, but most booked balcony cabins! YEAH! The only thing I really did try to sway was that we fly in the day before, which everyone agreed to and some of us are even flying in 2-days early! YEAH!

Any way, I hope it all works out and everyone has a great time regardless of my own enthusiasm!

Give them too much information. Those that want it will eat it up and those who want to experience it without a lot of info will either tune it out or ignore it. I am someone who wants to know all about it ahead of time so I can maximize my joy. I have never, ever been given too much. I have a plan and while I rarely stick to it I know all the options and things can change. That said please don't herd them around like sheep. Offer to help and then back off. I think that way everyone wins!

My very first cruise, I was so excited, I poured over the internet for any info I could find. It was all pre-Cruise Critic, so not quite as convenient as coming here! I knew another person going on the same cruise ship two weeks after us and I absolutely bored her with the details.

I used to talk about our cruises every day to my family and co-workers. DH and the kids finally told me to shut up (they were actually nicer about it than that!).

Two years ago we had a family/friends cruise planned and they all wanted advice from me, it was heaven. Still, I confined my remarks to the details like packing, hotels, taxis, excursion suggestions. I left all the little things, like the joy of entering the ship the first time, the feeling you get at sail-away, as well as others, out of my newsletters.

I do feel as though a lot of it has to be experienced first hand. I get my cruise talk fix and my obsession with it right here on CC.

I will say, though, that people where I work know I've been on a few cruises and they come to me with questions. I've just answered specifics, but I do tell them to ask anything. Last summer I made an offer to a person to sit down and talk with her, we never got around to it. After her cruise, I really wish I would have, they were so mis-informed by their travel agent (not a cruise only agent) many things went wrong for them.

The agent never gave them a brochure, they didn't even know until they got the cruise documents that they needed birth certificates, and had to scramble to get those.

They didn't know they could get to the port ahead of time and by the time they got there, the party was in full swing and they realized they had missed a good part of the first day. It was local and they could have been there much earlier.

They did not know the price of drinks and assumed it was all-inclusive, what a shock that was.

The didn't know the tips recommended was per person.

They knew nothing about excursions and were shocked at the prices, so they didn't do much of anything in port. They thought they had to go on ship excursions, no knowledge of "do it yourself".

All in all, even after 6 months of planning, they did not budget enough for a nice experience. If they would have known all the above, she said they could have planned better, saved more, had more fun. I do have to say, though, she did have some of her info in the docs that she ignored and she never heeded my advice to ask questions, I was more than happy to help out.

Needless to say, they did not have much fun and now she tells everyone that cruising isn't a very good way to vacation. I'm always surprised at houw people will latch onto bad news and ignore the good.

We will be cruising with a group. 3 couples will be going on their 1st cruise. Is it possible to give them too much information & not let them discover the cruise on their own? I think some information is valuable like be sure to take your Doc's, Passport/Birth Certificate, & Travel Clock.

I get very excited when someone cruises especially 1st timers. I need to be careful so I don't ruin it for them by telling them too much.

Gail

Does wetting oneself whilst waiting to board count? If so, I have ruined lots of cruises!

Alan

Once one of the parties we cruised with was a family who really had no clue. One day at sea I mentioned an activity I had done that day, and the dad said, "How did you find out about that?" Apparently, they never looked at the daily newsletter. They also lost their dramamine in the cabin and got sick, but never thought to tell anyone or ask the ship's doctor for some. I made a point of telling them about tips, because otherwise I think they would not have known to give any.

This time, we're going with people whom I can trust to figure out what they're doing and ask questions when needed, even though one couple has only cruised once before. I know these folks will all have a great time, no matter what the circumstances are.

On another note, I can relate to the earlier post about what time to board the ship. Our first cruise, I saw departure time of 5 p.m. from Port Canaveral and thought we might have time for a day at Disney World before we left! Luckily, I read more on the message boards and realized I wanted to be first in line so I could get in half a day's ship activities before that final boarding call.

Archived