Saxman Village vs. Totem Bight Park

territax

Any recommendations on which is a must see? I think I have read that you can take a taxi out to Totem Bight Park, is that correct? We want to do things in town and figure we only have time to do one of these places, Saxman Village or Totem Bight.

You can take the city bus (blue line) out to Totem Bight for $1 - they run back every hour (Cathy was happy with 1 hour, I could have stayed 2). It's a very different experience from Saxman - a self-guided tour through the totems in a peaceful rainforest park with a great beach.

Murray

You can take the city bus (blue line) out to Totem Bight for $1 - they run back every hour (Cathy was happy with 1 hour, I could have stayed 2). It's a very different experience from Saxman - a self-guided tour through the totems in a peaceful rainforest park with a great beach.

Murray

Is the beach open for swimming?

I have been to both totem areas. If going to Totem Bight consider printing out the totem guide and taking it with you. http://www.dnr.state.ak.us/parks/units/totembgh.htm

bus stop is before the tunnel, across the street from the eagle totem. This is also the Walmart bus. :) If you wish to stop there, you can also usually just hop in the Walmart shuttle van since this runs more frequently.

Saxman Village requires a guide in my opinion. The stories of the Totems really enhance a visit there. I have heard that they have "loosened" up the carving shed viewing??? But verify this.

Ketchikan is loaded with totems, if you wish to just stay and do walking about. For authentic totems, consider the Totem Heritage Museum. Also the Alaska Discovery- Public Lands has some nice displayed totems and worthwhile exhibits. There are some beautiful totems out the back of the Fox Lodge.

Is the beach open for swimming?

As Murray states, this is definately a "rough" beach. But pretty easily accessable. I've seen some interesting "stuff" at low tide, that I wouldn't want to be in the water with. :)

I have been to both totem areas. If going to Totem Bight consider printing out the totem guide and taking it with you. http://www.dnr.state.ak.us/parks/units/totembgh.htm

bus stop is before the tunnel, across the street from the eagle totem. This is also the Walmart bus. :) If you wish to stop there, you can also usually just hop in the Walmart shuttle van since this runs more frequently.

Saxman Village requires a guide in my opinion. The stories of the Totems really enhance a visit there. I have heard that they have "loosened" up the carving shed viewing??? But verify this.

Ketchikan is loaded with totems, if you wish to just stay and do walking about. For authentic totems, consider the Totem Heritage Museum. Also the Alaska Discovery- Public Lands has some nice displayed totems and worthwhile exhibits. There are some beautiful totems out the back of the Fox Lodge.

Thanks for the information, BQ. You are certainly knowledgeable about all things Alaska!

We are still undecided about which place to see the totems. My problem is walking/standing too long as I have back problems. Would you be able to give us some guidance about which approach and to which place would be better? Would it be more advisable to take the Ketchikan Tour of either park and the town itself ($36) - if so better for my back at Saxman or Totem Bight? I also read your other suggestions for seeing totems - but sounds like they would involve more walking about town.

Many thanks for your insights.

Archived