Swollen Ankles

When I have too much salt my ankles swell. Drink lots of water with lemon.

Exersise, walking more than usual, taking the stairs when there are only one or two flights to do, swimming the coolest pool are helpful to reduce the swelling.

There is a lot more sodium in prepared food. And when you're on a ship the chances are good that you're not sticking to just fruits and raw veggies ... so you're taking in a lot more sodium.

I've found that the best solution is to drink a LOT more water!

Was there ever a definitive answer on why we get swollen ankles on a cruise.

j

Why or the solution? I know after reading this site and having

this question posed quite regularly I can tell you, Nope, we have

never found the exact specific reason why.....or the solution

to the problem either.

If someone out there has the correct answer, I know many of us

would love to know why!

I have swollen ankles when I fly. I found that taking a couple of low dose asipirns does that trick. That may not be the answere for everyone, but it works for me. Please talk to your Dr about it, it could be a more serious problem.

I want to know WHY too, dang it. I have all these cute ankle bracelets that I can't wear once the swelling sets in. I have started elevating my legs for at least a half hour a day (get your minds out of the gutter, or not) and that really helps. Is there a doctor in the house?

I have swollen ankles when I fly. I found that taking a couple of low dose asipirns does that trick. That may not be the answere for everyone, but it works for me. Please talk to your Dr about it, it could be a more serious problem.

I never thought of that but it does make sense. It would think your blood so circulation would be better. I have more trouble with my hands swelling and my rings are tight. I wonder if the aspirin would help that too.

Most swelling is due to water retension. Sodium is the main culprit. Water acts as a way to dilute the salt and flush the body. Lemon in the water helps speed up the process. MILD excercise also helps with moving out the excess water.

Have you ever noticed that you swell more in hot weather than in cool weather? That is why a cool pool is better for reducing swelling.

Don't eat bacon, sausage, ham, or cold salmon, because they are HEAVILY salted. While on a cruise a lot of people eat more of theese things than usual. Remember cheese has a lot of sodium also.

Some people are more susceptable to water retention. Some people need glasses, some are allergic to peanuts, some have diabetes, ect. Our bodies are different.

When I have severe swelling my doctor tells me to elevate my legs for 20 min. every hour. I stack my large suitcases on my bed. I bend my knees at the edge of the suitcase so my lower legs are resting on the top of the suitcases. Extra pillows help make this more comfortable. The height also helps more. The key is your heart needs to be lowerer than your feet.

I hope these tips help you. My doctor suggested I do these things,

Most swelling is due to water retension. Sodium is the main culprit. Water acts as a way to dilute the salt and flush the body. Lemon in the water helps speed up the process. MILD excercise also helps with moving out the excess water.

Have you ever noticed that you swell more in hot weather than in cool weather? That is why a cool pool is better for reducing swelling.

Don't eat bacon, sausage, ham, or cold salmon, because they are HEAVILY salted. While on a cruise a lot of people eat more of theese things than usual. Remember cheese has a lot of sodium also.

Some people are more susceptable to water retention. Some people need glasses, some are allergic to peanuts, some have diabetes, ect. Our bodies are different.

When I have severe swelling my doctor tells me to elevate my legs for 20 min. every hour. I stack my large suitcases on my bed. I bend my knees at the edge of the suitcase so my lower legs are resting on the top of the suitcases. Extra pillows help make this more comfortable. The height also helps more. The key is your heart needs to be lowerer than your feet.

I hope these tips help you. My doctor suggested I do these things,

The ironic thing about some of what your Dr says....I live in Florida

where it is hot and humid for much of the year and my feet never

swell here at home.

I guess you are right about our bodies and our metabolism being

different though;)

Giving up cheese? Not me!:D the price I will pay I guess!!!

And I love the other stuff you mentioned too!

I always start a regiment of low dose aspirin every day for a week to a month before flying - depending on the length of the flight. There was a report a while ago about aspirin possibly being benficial to prevent blood clots in the legs while flying.

I also tend to get up at least once on a two-three hour flight, more often on a longer flight just to get my legs moving. I also do ankle exercises in my seat to move the legs. It definitely helps.

On the ship itself- I tend to drink a lot of water. If my feet start to swell, I also do foot exercises- the ones that I had to do after my bunion surgery. For some reason, the movement of the foot causes the swelling to subside.

Thank, Hajekfam, I forgot to mention the low dose asprin and the leg exercises on the plane and the cruise. On the plane, I sit in an aisle seat so that is easier to get up. I love it when someone in the window or middle seat needs to get up. It gives me another reason to stand up.

The leg exercises I do include standing on "tippy toes" then rocking back on my heels and flex my foot. I do this for several minutes. I hold on to something for balance and raise one leg and rotate my ankle to the right and then to left, then switch legs. Then I do high knee marches.

I got these exercises from my arthrytis aqua aerobics instructor. These exercises help the joints, lessen the chance of blood clots and reduces swelling.

My sister and I are a like in a lot ways, but she does not have this problem. I've had it since I was in my mid twenties. Thirty years later, it continues to be a problem.

I love all the food itiems I mentioned in the earlier post, but "they don't love me."

I had this problem for year .. legs elevated did help .. but I was getting really frustrated ..

Then Dr. prescribed a diuretic ( hydrochlorotiazide ) and it has been a godsend .. not everyone's solution .. but it works for me!! And I might add I only take it when traveling ..

It's the salty sea air and the higher salt content of the water you drink on board.

The water does not have a higher salt content, and as far as the sea air having an impact, I've spent far too many days on the ocean to believe that. :o

Many people eat like there is no tomorrow on a cruise, consuming much more processed foods than normal. If everyone would lose the "all you can eat" mindset, I suspect there would be fewer swollen ankle problems.

I too suffer greatly from swollen ankles, however it is not just from the salty food. I believe mine is from caused by the heat. I don't suffer with swollen ankles during the spring, fall or winter. So I guess my solution would be cool foot baths, or ice packs to the ankles.

The most likely reason that your legs swell on a cruise is increased sodium intake. Remember, you're not preparing your food and the chefs tend to use quite a bit more salt than you would likely do. People with high blood pressure also need to be mindful of this while on a cruise.

Raising the level of your feet while you sleep at night might help. Try putting your life jacket under the mattress and see if that helps.

Ricki

Then Dr. prescribed a diuretic ( hydrochlorotiazide ) and it has been a godsend .. not everyone's solution .. but it works for me!! And I might add I only take it when traveling ..

I have had this problem as well. I do tend to have swelling issues with my lower legs and feet when I am at home, but, nothing even close to what I experience on a ship. Actually I have flown to places and not had a problem to anywhere near this degree.

I do have high blood pressure and when I went on medication it helped to some degree. When my blood pressure was still not low enough and they added Hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ), that was pretty much the end of my "cruise legs AKA tree stumps". I am not sure what causes the problems for anyone else, but, at the least, get your BP checked.

The water does not have a higher salt content, and as far as the sea air having an impact, I've spent far too many days on the ocean to believe that. :o

Many people eat like there is no tomorrow on a cruise, consuming much more processed foods than normal. If everyone would lose the "all you can eat" mindset, I suspect there would be fewer swollen ankle problems.

I think that it is a misleading this to say that the issue is simply overindulgeance. I have had this issue despite what I have eaten or how strict I have been about food choices or how much water (with lemon!) I drank. Lets not make blanket statements about things we are not experts in. One answer does not necessarily fit all. Ask your own Doctor!

In the last 2 weeks I have been to Vegas twice. I did the aspirin, which I have done before and it worked, well it didn't either time. The first trip was okay, minimal swelling. It was very hot, 107F, we did alot of walking. The second trip I was not so lucky. When I got home I had cankles, and red blotches on my calves. My mom told me that was an allergic reaction, that she had the same problem when she was my age, just take some allergy meds. Well the swelling is all gone after one day, but the blotches are still there. Any ideas???? If I still have the blotches on Monday I will call the Dr.

I think that it is a misleading this to say that the issue is simply overindulgeance. I have had this issue despite what I have eaten or how strict I have been about food choices or how much water (with lemon!) I drank. Lets not make blanket statements about things we are not experts in. One answer does not necessarily fit all. Ask your own Doctor!

For whatever reason, the OP asked this forum for opinons. Surely we all know that a medical opinion is best. And I made no blanket statements. I said:

"I suspect there would be fewer swollen ankle problems."

Never did I state that all swelling ankle problems would go away. And I certainly never claimed to be an expert. ;)

I remember many many years ago when they started talking about too much sodium. I just quit using salt in my cooking period and seasoned only with spices. We still get sodium in so many other ways that are surprising when we pay close attention to labels.

When I went on a cruise after this I was amazed at how I was retaining water. I also worked in the resturant industry years later and I know how arrogant chefs can be about flavoring their dishes. They could care less if the room is filled with seniors all well into their seventies. If it requires tons of salt to get the perfect flavor, so be it. If we all cooked with the ingrediants used in resturants, our food at home would taste every bit as good and we'd all be overweight with high blood pressure. We rave about the fantastic soups. Sure, if we made ours with mostly whole cream, ours would be just as fantastic.

Not seasoning with salt at home makes me very aware when too much salt has been added even though the taste is great. When I notice this I limit myself to a few bites.

As was mentioned earlier, there are so many things on board that we just don't eat on a regular basis at home, especially 3 times a day. Now on cruises I eat light for breakfast and lunch and enjoy what I want for dinner in moderation unless something is over seasoned with salt.

Many of us have more cocktails while cruising also so that combined with a higher sodium intake really takes it's toll. I double my intake of water on cruises by always having a container with me during the day including in ports.

Just paying close attention has worked well for me the past few years. :)

Archived