Grand Princess Damage Pictures From The BIG Roll

wookie

I promised some of the other PAX's that I would put these pictures of some of the damage inside the shops on this board. I had to shrink them down to a small size in order to post them. The quality is not very good as I think I did not check the camera settings before I started snapping away. These were taken about 20 minutes after the ships tilt, and the crew was already in the process of cleaning everything up. I have a few more I will post later. There were a lot of people taking pictures. If anyone has any more they would like to share please post them here also.

GP0204a.JPG.a0ac8eabe862dc750ae1093a1f9265d0.JPG

GP0204b.JPG.a0e5c1f1d0e6ceeb1ad77d5518e95664.JPG

GP0204c.JPG.e4cbefe67e4f31f889d2a0e87e608957.JPG

GP0204d.JPG.25f3d6440688c6fb1fd157c150e7df5f.JPG

GP0204e.JPG.345682f28b91611d260425a5e25fbca6.JPG

A few more from the shops. the last one is way out of focus. Trying to take a picture of glass with the auto focus on was probably not a good idea, but any way the last picture was a piece of glass at the 7th floor level. I was told that a passenger had fallen into the glass during the tilt, and it cracked in multiple places from the impact. Lucky for this pax that the glass held otherwise they could have fallen down to the 5th floor.

GP0204f.jpg.5d301f2f57add2fe5e5771e44daf1e02.jpg

GP0204g.JPG.7c4ac868776f56759d9ad1af0e4ce19e.JPG

GP0204h.jpg.ab592f71106226a41fd17053ad267996.jpg

Thanks for posting the pics Wookie! Some more photos are here starting on the second page:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=295519&page=2

I didn't realize the Sundry shop took such a big hit....

Regarding where the glass is broken - that's where my husband and I walked by when we were trying to get to deck 7 outside - crew members were holding a large metal object (display case?) trying to keep it from sliding through the glass. The shattered glass is where it was breaking through.:)

I was with our group right by the Calypso Bar/Pizza area when the ship listed. This is where a lot of the water came from. Everyone in the area ran to the port side of the ship and hung on to the railing so as not to lose their footing. Here's a picture of the bar afterwards; I think cleanup had already begun. There are actually a lot of broken bottles on the floor - the intact bottles are only there because the bartender straddled his arms across as many bottles as he could. It was an eerie sight and sound as the bottles slid and one by one, hit the end "clunk" with more and more of them falling off at the end.

IMG_0050.jpg.eafa9ac24adb269e26fcfcbf13fb3ce8.jpg

A few more from the shops. the last one is way out of focus. Trying to take a picture of glass with the auto focus on was probably not a good idea, but any way the last picture was a piece of glass at the 7th floor level. I was told that a passenger had fallen into the glass during the tilt, and it cracked in multiple places from the impact. Lucky for this pax that the glass held otherwise they could have fallen down to the 5th floor.

Thanks! I was wondering all week how that glass got cracked. It was lucky, indeed, that the person didn't go through and fall to his/her death.

Thanks! I was wondering all week how that glass got cracked. It was lucky, indeed, that the person didn't go through and fall to his/her death.

Hello, I don't think that's correct Captlou, please see my comment above. When we were trying to make our way to the outside deck 7 we walked by crew members that were holding a big heavy object in that spot to keep it from going through the glass:) The object of course could have really hurt someone had it gone through but to me it demonstrates exactly how fast and steep that turn was....the crew members were holding on with all their might. The object was about as big and heavy as a large safe....I'm wondering if it was part of the counter from the clothing shop.

Great pics, Wookie! Thanks for posting them. It was really amazing how quick the crew got all of that mess cleaned up, wasn't it? I bet they all wanted to strangle the captain for giving them so much extra work on the first day of the cruise. I sure wanted to strangle him, and I didn't have to clean up anything.

Has anyone else noticed that not all, but a great number of the "attack mode" comments are made by posters with very few posts attached to their screen names?

I don't pretend to understand their motive(s), but it has become a pervasive and seemingly recent development.

Judging by the tone, it's probably one or more adolescent "trolls", but it could also be individuals with axes to grind? There have been long term posters unmasked who adopt new screen names in order to wreak a little havoc with revenge as a motive.

I suppose the best we can do is utilize the screen name blocker feature. If we all do that, then they won't have the pleasure of drawing responses.

I know you are being sarcastic, etc. However, on every flight I have been on that encounters rough turbulence, the pilot WARNS you before it happens. I think if the officers on the bridge had warned these people, the damage would have been the same, but people could have braced themselves and saved some injuries that happened during the panic.

That is a very good point! I think a warning announcement could have made all the difference in the world!

Also, on an airplane, carryons are stowed under the seat in front of you or in overhead bins that are snapped shut. They minimize projectiles for a reason. You are also advised to wear your seat belt at all times unless you are heading to the loo.

All the photos are from 20 plus minutes after the incident, clean up had already started taking place . I don't think any of us were worried about taking pictures when we were trying to get to safety.:)

So there were no reporters onboard? ;)

Cheers,

Norman

Well there are news articles from KHOU, and the Galveston news, there should be a few threads with all the info with pics and such.

From an earlier post:

http://www.saljournal.com/content/2-...playstory.html

http://news.galvestondailynews.com/story.lasso?ewcd=b2666a262c5c7d4d

Here's the link from the Houston news and the tv segment:

http://www.khou.com/news/local/galveston/stories/khou060211_ac_cruiseship.1dd00e4c.html

http://www.khou.com/news/local/galveston/stories/khou060207_ac_cruiseline.34cebe8.html

You have to register to view the KHOU info.

Just an update on the video... nothing can ever be easy can it? The video people came back and the tape was not edited correctly.:eek: They only incuded about 30 seconds of video in the new tape, I wanted the turn video + the rescue for display, it's only a small part of the turn at this time. Will get everything taken care of as soon as possible:)

Archived