A Solo Fashionista review of the MSC Armonia

lara_lox

Many thanks Lara!

You must have taken copious notes as it felt more like a 'live' blog. You opinions on the Armomia are most encouraging and I look forward to my cruise aboard her even more (though there is a big question mark hanging over this while MSC react to the Egyptian issues).

If I had a question, it would be this. Which were your favourite areas of the ship by day and by night and why? It usually takes me a few days to find mine so any tips in advance would be much appreciated.

Tim.

Lara.

I've said a couple of times already I've loved your review.

Loads of info for me and DW doing the same cruise in 52 days!

Shame Manchester isn't so sunny today!

I have really enjoyed your review. If you google Lady Lara you can see you can charter the yacht and there are also some pictures of the interior, so perhaps that might be for you on your next trip,,, :-)

Sandy in Spain

Many thanks Lara!

You must have taken copious notes as it felt more like a 'live' blog. You opinions on the Armomia are most encouraging and I look forward to my cruise aboard her even more (though there is a big question mark hanging over this while MSC react to the Egyptian issues).

If I had a question, it would be this. Which were your favourite areas of the ship by day and by night and why? It usually takes me a few days to find mine so any tips in advance would be much appreciated.

Tim.

Hi Tim, yes I took a lot of notes or I would never remember! I've been thinking about my favourite places and the main one which stands out is Cafe San Marco in the evening. I loved the atmosphere and decor and I generally sat at the balcony area where I could see what was going on down on the floor below. It seemed to be a popular place but not over crowded.

For daytime I liked the small outdoor tiered areas at the very back of the ship. There was nothing there but a few loungers which made it a perfect space to relax and enjoy some quiet time overlooking beautiful scenery. For more facilities and sunbathing the slightly elelevated areas above the pool decks were good because you were near everything and could see what was going on without having kids splashing round and people knocking you as they walked past, like on the pool deck itself.

For after dinner I never quite found my perfect spot. The Starlight Disco was a fantastic venue with lots of nice seating areas as well as the dance floor. Because the room spanned the entire back of the ship, there were panoramic views out to sea, with an outdoor area too. It would have been a fantastic lounge to enjoy after dinner drinks in before the dj started the disco, if only it had been used in this way instead of as a teen club. I know I keep going on about it, but it was such a shame. Though maybe on a grand voyage it would be different as there would probably be less teens?

Edited by lara_lox

May I ask what your next adventure will be? Ken

I have no idea! I only tend to book last minute as you never know when circumstances might change, so I just see what my options are at that time and what I fancy! I do like to get away in January when Christmas and New Year are over and it's cold and miserable, so that is probably when my next trip will be.

I walked back along to San Marco, this time very quickly and easily, guided by the signs on the walls of the buildings. I enjoyed the shade of the little alleyways and streets, which were lined with shops, both general clothes/shoes/jewellery type stores and souvenir shops full of Murano glassware and beautiful masks.

VeniceCruise2013096_zpsfb81123f.jpg

VeniceCruise2013097_zpsd75ac387.jpg

Hi Lara.

DW and myself have a "thing" about collecting masks from where we travel!

Does Venice have mask shops everywhere (it is the home of the Masquerade after all) If not can you remember where the shop you saw was? (In the pictures above)

Hi Lara.

DW and myself have a "thing" about collecting masks from where we travel!

Does Venice have mask shops everywhere (it is the home of the Masquerade after all) If not can you remember where the shop you saw was? (In the pictures above)

You will have no problem finding a shop selling masks, they were everywhere! The first picture above was at a shop on St Mark's Square and the other was on a little side street on the way to Rialto. I would look around though as most things at San Marco were more expensive than the same things on surrounding side streets a bit further away.

You will have no problem finding a shop selling masks, they were everywhere! The first picture above was at a shop on St Mark's Square and the other was on a little side street on the way to Rialto. I would look around though as most things at San Marco were more expensive than the same things on surrounding side streets a bit further away.

Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

I followed you over from NCL. I was so happy to see a new Lara cruise. As usual I enjoyed seeing your outfits. I love the maxi dresses.

Next time you cruise please com to the NCL boards and let us know another trip report is up.

• 2 weeks later...

excellent review, it inspires me to bite the bullet and get serious about booking a solo cruise! And on MSC! I have a friend who is a TA and she said NOT to travel on MSC (she doesn't book Costa, Carnival, MSC etc), but I may just have to ignore her advice!

excellent review, it inspires me to bite the bullet and get serious about booking a solo cruise! And on MSC! I have a friend who is a TA and she said NOT to travel on MSC (she doesn't book Costa, Carnival, MSC etc), but I may just have to ignore her advice!

Cruised solo many times with MSC and Costa as well and enjoyed everyone of them. Does your TA give a reason for not booking these lines?

The company she works for deals with "higher end" lines and she doesn't have a say in which companies they sell. The biggest common complaints she hears from clients of hers who are past passengers of MSC and Costa is that the Italian staff is not as polite and attentive as the other lines, and the heavily smoking passengers are a problem if you are a non smoker.

The company she works for deals with "higher end" lines and she doesn't have a say in which companies they sell. The biggest common complaints she hears from clients of hers who are past passengers of MSC and Costa is that the Italian staff is not as polite and attentive as the other lines, and the heavily smoking passengers are a problem if you are a non smoker.

Howdy Neighbor,

I have cruised on MSC 6 times and going on my 7th this year. I have never found the rude and unattentiveness you are talking about. On the Poesia they had one side of the ship on the pool deck and one side of a couple of the bars that were smokers and yes at times it got heavy but we, being non-smokers, would just avoid those areas. I have always had a great time on my MSC experiences.

Your TA is missing a great opportunity by not promoting MSC, they are a great cruise line. We rank them with our Holland America cruise.

If you have any questions about MSC please feel free to ask on here or in an email. I would be very glad to answer them.

Gerry

Thank you very much Gerry, the reason I started looking in to MSC is because they offer the itinerary that I want for a future cruise, and it is reviews like the OP and yours that continue to remove the doubts from my mind. To be fair, my TA books a lot of Crystal, Azamara etc, so she is comparing MSC to the top lines, which is not really fair. Thank you again!

TvanTuyl,

We are going to be on the Divina this Christmas and are so excited. MSC has a very good product, yes not like Azamara and Crystal but for me I would rather cruise more often then to put all my cruise allotted money on one cruise. No I am not being a snob there I just love to cruise and would not like only cruising once every 3 or 4 years.

Besides we usually take our grandkids with us as we are doing this Christmas so MSC is perfect for the price. We always take a large group with us also, this year we have about 40 people,. In my opinion, MSC is a fabulous line and we are well taken care of on the ship. I like that when you enter the ship the first time you are met by all the cabin stewards and asst. stewards with their white gloves on and they take you to your cabin.

I have never cruised MSC in the Med only in the Caribbean. But with saying that I have never cruised in the Med.

I hope this helps you with your decision.

Gerry

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hallo

we're leaving tomorrow, same ship and same itinerary.

We got this cruise as our TA called us to give us a sure free upgrade to a suite in case of booking. We did, but now we wonder if "suite" just means a larger stateroom or are there some extras included ?

When we travelled with Costa, and we had a suite, we got facilities as nice bathrobes, fresh tropical fruit basket everyday, priority boarding, etc...

Did you get any with Msc ?

Thanks regards:)

P.

Hallo

we're leaving tomorrow, same ship and same itinerary.

We got this cruise as our TA called us to give us a sure free upgrade to a suite in case of booking. We did, but now we wonder if "suite" just means a larger stateroom or are there some extras included ?

When we travelled with Costa, and we had a suite, we got facilities as nice bathrobes, fresh tropical fruit basket everyday, priority boarding, etc...

Did you get any with Msc ?

Thanks regards:)

P.

Well it's now 'tomorrow' so I guess you might already be there finding out for yourself! If not, then on the Armonia, all balcony cabins are called 'suites'. Other than the larger room, walk in wardrobe and a bathtub I didn't notice anything very different from a lesser cabin. I did get several fruit baskets and bathrobes were already in the wardrobes but I don't know if that was just standard anyway. Have a great cruise :)

• 5 months later...
Hey, about the drinks package, i read people talking about voucher books. Did you have to carry vouchers around? I booked the alegrissimo for my cruise, thanks in advance!

No, your card will show you have Allegrissimo.

Hey, about the drinks package, i read people talking about voucher books. Did you have to carry vouchers around? I booked the alegrissimo for my cruise, thanks in advance!

The vouchers thing seemed to be some other kind of deal/promotion, where people bought a certain number of drinks in advance for a set price. Silly way of doing it in my opinion! But as AmoMondo said, with Allegrissimo there is just a code already on your cruise card that shows you have this package, so it's much simpler.