Safe to wear jewelry?

I have heard that some travelers to Europe won't wear their real wedding rings and instead just purchase a cheaper band for the trip. Do you feel this is necessary? We will be in Barcelona, Villefranche, and several ports in Italy. I would think residents in these particular ports would also have diamonds and Rolexes that they wear on a daily basis, so would we stand out that much as targets? I live in Chicago now, so I know how to be aware of my surroundings. When I traveled to Eastern Europe, I did take more precautions and did wear much less expensive jewelry (although I don't know that it was necessary), so I'm just wondering if it is really recommended to do the same in Western Europe. Thanks!

I've always worn my jewelery in Europe. There are very few places where anyone would mug you (dodgy back alleys late at night excepted!) It's possible that a pickpocket could get a watch, but they mostly go after unguarded cash.

And I speak as someone who lost €50 to a pickpocket.

Lisa

I have heard that some travelers to Europe won't wear their real wedding rings and instead just purchase a cheaper band for the trip. Do you feel this is necessary? We will be in Barcelona, Villefranche, and several ports in Italy. I would think residents in these particular ports would also have diamonds and Rolexes that they wear on a daily basis, so would we stand out that much as targets? I live in Chicago now, so I know how to be aware of my surroundings. When I traveled to Eastern Europe, I did take more precautions and did wear much less expensive jewelry (although I don't know that it was necessary), so I'm just wondering if it is really recommended to do the same in Western Europe. Thanks!

You can wear whatever you want to wear re jewelry...it's just that it's best not to wear a lot of it and set ones self up for someone deciding to try and get it is all.Some people wear simple jewelry out and about at ports and save the "bling" for the ship..other's wear whatever all the time.Just my observations.

I have bought less expensive jewlery to wear on my travels to anywhere, not just Europe. You aren't a local, and no matter how hard you try to fit in, you will still be a tourist, therefore a good target for pickpockets or thieves. Even if you report a theft to the police, you aren't going to be around for a trial if the thief is ever caught.

The only place I didn't think to do that was when we went to Australia. I just wore my regular jewelry there, and never had a problem. I haven't actually had any first hand problems, only hearing from other people. One lady I used to travel with had a 1 carat diamond solitaire that she wore, and it was taken from her in Naples. The thief was never caught and the ring was never recovered, thankfully she had insurance. Since she told me that, I leave my more expensive/meaningful jewelry at home.

I think its a matter of common sense and not advertising that you have alot. If you are going with a tour or guide, probably no problem. if you are walking through the back streets alone and taking the local metros, leave the fancy flashy stuff on the ship. I don't think you have to give up your wedding ring, do you wear all the time in Chicago? (I'm just nosey--I want to know if its a ten caret yellow diamond)

I have to agree with the other posters - when I travel, I leave my bling at home and wear just a plain gold wedding band that I purchased for travel. Takes the worry out and why tempt fate? I do bring costume jewellry to wear on board - but that stays on board.

I wear my jewelry all the time anywhere.... It's just I am never alone; I always walk with my husband and he is a big guy, so I am not afraid of anything... However, I don't like diamonds and wear my red-gold jewelry. Nothing too fancy... but you never know...

In most if not all european cities and towns on the med, you have what I call opportunists rather than muggers!

I wear what I would wear in a city in the UK or the US. Sometimes valuable, sometimes bling whatever takes my fancy at the time! I stick to the major tourist routes and stay clear of the backwaters!

Whilst sitting in an outdoor cafe in Barcelona a couple of years ago, I glanced down to see an arab type going into my hand bag! I shouted and my DH jumped up! The waiter came running over and the guy got away. The waiter had said we where lucky as if my DH had tried to tackle him he would have more than likely produced a knife!

I had thought I had caught him in time, as I still had my purse. But when I came to take my insulin injection before I ate realised he had taken it! I hope he took the bl@@dy lot. lol

Fortunately, I had a spare back at the hotel!

My TA strongly suggested that I buy a cheap watch to wear in port, so I did. I kept my Breitling in the stateroom safe while ashore. DW & I both used a money belts for everything other than small change (gelato funds). We never had any problems.

An ounce of prevention… ;)

I don't think it is so much being mugged as being distracted. As an ex travel agent I heard many stories of people taking a diamond ring, etc. off to wash their hands after lunch and not realize they had forgotten it until the bus was two countries away or the ship had left the port.

Buy some inexpensive things at a discount store and you won't have to worry. If someone approaches you with a loupe, consider them gauche and let them know they are out of line.

What on earth is it that makes Americans so paranoid?

I wouldn't even think of not wearing my wedding ring - even in New York or Los Angeles. I wear my Jaeger-LeCoultre Reverso daily, and normally when out on holiday. The only reason I might not is to wear my Omega instead.

My wife always wears her wedding ring, engagement ring and diamond earings.

We've never had any trouble. Even in New York. I even survived the subway there.

Mind you, you don't have much time to worry about being mugged in the USA do you? Because they don't quickly lift your wallet but prefer to blow your head off. That's right, isn't it?

No. It isn't. But it is no more or less daft than the constant panic about pickpockets in Europe from Americans.

Matthew

Ah, Matthew, your post did make me chuckle. I can see your point. Really, that is a big reason why I posted the question. I hear the concern, and have had people advise me to leave my "goods" at home, but I would certainly think that people living in Europe will be walking around with comparable jewelry to what I will be wearing, as well as the nice watches my husband is so fond of. We too walk around NY, subway included, and I travel to Los Angeles frequently for work and never bother to change my behavior - so point well taken. I think I will wear what I wear here on a daily basis, not walk down any dark alleys by myself, or wander around with my head in the clouds. If I do get anything stolen while abroad, I will be sure to cry about it very dramatically on this board when I return... kidding... ;) Thanks for all of your input!

I live about 23 miles outside Los Angeles city limits, and I DO NOT WEAR my diamonds and good jewelry when I go DOWNTOWN Los Angeles.

When I went to New York City pre-cruise in '06, I didn't take my good stuff, it stayed home hidden.

I don't have a 10 carat ring, but the little 1.5 carat I have is all I'm ever

likely to get, so I don't take chances with it when I go anywhere, and you can see by my signature that I have traveled a little.

Now that said, with all the precautions you take, somebody could break into your house while you're gone and rob you, so guess it really doesn't make much of a difference. Do whatever makes you feel comfortable.

I never wear my good jewellery when I travel. It remains in Toronto in the safety deposit box at the bank. They promised to take good care of my things until I return.

For wear on the ship I have bling. It looks real and I never wear it off the ship. One ring was admired by an antique appraiser. She waxed on about the colour and the cut of my "diamond". After listening to her for a while I told her the truth. It had cost me $10US.

I would never wear it on shore as I don't want to be hit over the head for something that was so inexpensive.

Fran

We have learned that it's best to not wear our jewelry in port, no matter where we travel. I will wear a very inexpensive watch and my wife will either not wear jewelry or she will wear some inexpensive earings. We have traveled extensively and most recently on a world cruise and we just left the valuables in our safe when we went ashore. When you are in port, it is fairly obvious that you are a tourist no matter where you go and as such become even more of a target for thieves.

Now, some will say that their jewelry is insured but why be a target in the first place.

Keith

What on earth is it that makes Americans so paranoid?

I wouldn't even think of not wearing my wedding ring - even in New York or Los Angeles. I wear my Jaeger-LeCoultre Reverso daily, and normally when out on holiday. The only reason I might not is to wear my Omega instead.

My wife always wears her wedding ring, engagement ring and diamond earings.

We've never had any trouble. Even in New York. I even survived the subway there.

Mind you, you don't have much time to worry about being mugged in the USA do you? Because they don't quickly lift your wallet but prefer to blow your head off. That's right, isn't it?

No. It isn't. But it is no more or less daft than the constant panic about pickpockets in Europe from Americans.

Matthew

I agree with you, may I add that I visit miami at least twice a year, and this year in jan had my credit card cloned, you have to sign the paper slips, because they donot have chip and pin, not once was a comparison made,between my signature or the cards, on another thread I was told that the terminals for chip and pin were instaled in certain areas 2yrs ago but are yet to be connected, they can put a man on the moon, or " bitch" about pick pockets, but chip and pin to reduce the huge credit card frauds in the U S seems to be a very low priority, also when I was filling my hire car, because the fuel is so cheap to us, I did not check the meter on the pump for an amount, it was only when my wife followed me in to the shop to by some gum, she pointed out they wanted $15 more than shown on the pump, it was a "mistake" that mistake happened 2 more times, but I will be back in miami the end of this month for a 10day stay before a cruise, wearing my multi zip trs, with false pockets, dye filled exploding wallet, special locks on my wifes handbag, We both have cartier watches which will be welded to a chain attached to my nipple ring, etc etc, all because we want to blend in and not look like tourists regards

The posting from RetiredFL would be a reason not to wear good jewellery anywhere, after all people wash their hands everywhere, not just ashore from a cruise.

Having said that, I suspect that the problem might be people dripping with large showy items that stand out and make them a target. Wearing some nice, expensive but not overstated items is unlikely to be a problem.

BTW when I was on Adonia in the self service laundromat a woman came rushing in, in a big panic. She'd taken some valuable family heirloom rings off whilst sorting out her laundry and forgotten to put them back on, but when she returned a few minutes later there wa no sign of them, and as far as I know they were never found. The others in the laundromat couldn't believe fellow passengers would do a thing like that!!! Naive or what? Even thieves take holidays.

Paul S

My point is that you are more distracted while traveling. You are in a hurry to get on with sightseeing, the bus driver is honking, you can't figure how to flush the toilet, etc.

Certainly I wash my hands at home and locally but I am in familiar territory and it is much easier to return and hopefully try to find a missing item.

Traveling should be with the least amount of worries possible.

What I want to know is...WHY would you take your wedding ring off to wash your hands in a restroom? WHY?:confused:

Is the soap going to melt the diamond?:confused: ;)

I don't know about the rest of you--but when I wash my hands...I tend to keep my rings on.

I can always clean them from soap residue easily enough at a later time.

And ladies--QVC can be your friend.

You don't want to wear your diamond brooches and tiaras? Buy diamonique ones at a bargain price--no one will know the difference! :D

And ladies--QVC can be your friend.

You don't want to wear your diamond brooches and tiaras? Buy diamonique ones at a bargain price--no one will know the difference! :D

Including muggers. Fake jewels prevents loss, not attack. Depends on whether you value your diamonds or yourself more!

Matthew

I do not make light of crime anywere, on the BBC radio news last night, there was a piece about the growth of gang related gun crime in the U K, a police official from Chicago was discussing how they deal with the 80,000 gang members split into the 30 predominant gangs in Chicago to the first poster from Chicago, what do you do at home, regards

Including muggers. Fake jewels prevents loss, not attack. Depends on whether you value your diamonds or yourself more!

Matthew

I haven't heard too much about muggings in Europe. NYC--yes. Europe no...at least where the cruise tourists are headed. :)

And--I was just trying to be a little tongue in cheek. Obviously, if a woman wears a diamond tiara on the street in broad daylight--she's going to draw attention to herself!!;)