No lobster on Getaway?

Primapnay

Because they serve something they call lobster. It's better that NCL does not serve that crap the other lines serve. My last Celebrity cruise the lobster was about the size of my little finger and was not good at all.

I had never had lobster before my Carnival cruise in Sept. I figured I'd give it a try b/c it was free and hey, why not... it was just ehh... very small piece, and not very tasty. There were 2 other people at my table who also ordered and wanted more because the pieces were so small, and were told no, since we had the early dinner, they weren't allowed to give us "seconds" on the lobster so they made sure they had enough for the later diners... one of the guys joked that he'd be back at 8pm for his 2nd tail then... the waiter just laughed and said "No sir, I'm sorry but there won't be a seat available for you"... I still don't know what the big fuss is...

• 3 weeks later...
I certainly think NCL cut out the lobster in the MDR, because of the cost.

I have a friend who is a lobsterman in Massachusetts. His current prices as of January 2015 are $6.99/lb for the smaller 1-1.5 lb lobsters and $8.99/lb for lobsters larger than 1.5 lbs.

Costs less than a good steak then, if you get it from the source.

Catching warm water spiny rock lobsters in season is great sport here in South Florida. They can be very tasty if properly grilled. NCL used frozen tails and cooked the life out of them. The Cagney's extra-cost lobster tails that I have seen are previously-frozen cold water tails of generous size. They were removed from the shell in one piece, dipped in a buttery sauce, and placed back on the shell. In all three instances, the ordering party (not me) pronounced them chewy and flavorless and sent it back. I like several Cagney's entries, including the lamb and prime rib. As for lobster, I will stick with fresh-grilled spiny lobsters or steamed live cold water lobsters.

I won't abandon NCL because they don't serve free lobster in the MDR. But I have had delicious lobster on Carnival, Princess and RCCL. I have heard comments stating that the lobster previously served on NCL in the MDR was crappy and not worth it, and that we weren't missing anything. Just saying that I have had very satisfactory lobster on all the other main stream lines that I have sailed on. Not sure where the other lines are cutting corners in ways that make them able to afford to keep serving lobster but maybe NCL can take a look. If lobster wasn't something that many cruisers look forward too, this topic wouldn't keep coming up over and over again.

How sad, I was really looking forward to it... Why couldn't they wait to discontinue it until after my cruise at the end of the month :(

Probably because the quality of the lobster was marginal at best. Back when, I used to gorge myself on lobster night. Eventually, the lobster (warm water) became glorified "shrimps". I didn't even bother.

Good call by NCL.

I "like" lobster but its more about the experience so if they can provide an alternative like a great steak or lamb chop, I'm all for it. So long as its great. I'd rather have an awesome hamburger than a mediocre lobster tail. Makes me think of my favorite comedian. What is lobster anyway? lol.