Cruise out of Galveston.....Fly into Which airport.

Romamom444

I'm from the east coast and am considering a cruise out of Galveston. I am not familiar with that part of the country. Would I fly into Houston or Galveston? Which airport would be the best. I would probably fly in the day prior. Thx

I'm from the east coast and am considering a cruise out of Galveston. I am not familiar with that part of the country. Would I fly into Houston or Galveston? Which airport would be the best. I would probably fly in the day prior. Thx

Hobby 30 minutes to galveston

Scholes Airport (Galveston) does not handle commercial flights...

http://www.galvestonairport.com/

There are two commercial airports in the greater Houston Area:

George Bush (IAH) and Hobby (HOU)...

Bush is NORTH of Houston--about 70-75 miles from Galveston...

Hobby is SOUTH of Houston--in the direction of Galveston...42 miles from Galveston...So, you save about 30 miles and miss driving the entire length of the city of Houston...

There are more flights into IAH, but it's a long and expensive shuttle or taxi ride to the port...

For my December cruise, I'm waiting on Southwest to release its flight schedule as they fly exclusively into Hobby from LAX...

This doesnt answer your question but, unless you are saving a ton of money by cruising out of Galveston, I would consider ports in Florida. Galveston is not very cruiser friendly if you have to fly in.

Thanks everyone for the responses. I am a bit concerned regarding what the cost of the flight will be from Boston. I think I might just take a closer look at east coast port terminals for a comparison. Thx again

• 2 weeks later...

Carnival does do pick ups at Hobby the day of the cruise for sure..they stand there holding the infamous sign.:) Also, Hobby is A LOT closer to Galveston than Intercontinental.

The cheapest way to fly into Houston is via Southwest Airlines and they only fly into Hobby. But you have to buy the airline tickets through Southwest as they will not appear on the travel websites like expedia.

Five hour drive to Bayonne for you. I'd try the Explorer of the Seas 9 or 10 day cruise if you can get the time off. Looks like a good price on the Dec. 13 10-day cruise to the Eastern Caribbean. You could even spend a day or two in New York for Christmas. I hear the Radio City Music Hall Christmas program is really special.

• 2 weeks later...
Carnival does do pick ups at Hobby the day of the cruise for sure..they stand there holding the infamous sign.:) Also, Hobby is A LOT closer to Galveston than Intercontinental.

The cheapest way to fly into Houston is via Southwest Airlines and they only fly into Hobby. But you have to buy the airline tickets through Southwest as they will not appear on the travel websites like expedia.

Just curious: will the cruise line shuttle pick you up at Hobby Airport if you are coming in a day early or do you have to come in on the day of sailing? We are taking Carnival in Dec.

Just a note here...

Yesterday, Southwest finally opened up its bookings through January and I was able to book my flights for my December cruise...

$400 pp round trip LAX to Hobby, nonstop both ways...

Cheaper than all of the other Airlines wanted to fly into Bush...Well worth the wait...

Archived