QUESTION: How much weight do you gain per day on a cruise?

portia1780

I have no clue how many calories I consume on a cruise, and don't want to know:eek:

As far as weight gained, I gained 5lbs on a 3 night cruise in 00, 5lbs on a 4 night cruise in 03, and 5lbs on an 8 night cruise in 04. So, for me I guess it's not the length of time, I'm just allergic to cruising: it makes me break out in 5lbs of fat.

I have no clue how many calories I consume on a cruise, and don't want to know:eek:

As far as weight gained, I gained 5lbs on a 3 night cruise in 00, 5lbs on a 4 night cruise in 03, and 5lbs on an 8 night cruise in 04. So, for me I guess it's not the length of time, I'm just allergic to cruising: it makes me break out in 5lbs of fat.

I know this is in fun but its probably not "real" weight gain; likely just water retention from the change in food.

A pound is something like 3500 calories and while it is possible to eat that much in a day it isn't very likely.

I'd say that you should take seriously any weight gain that isn't gone a week later; that might mean its for real.

I know that I do eat more on a crusie and I'm more likely to eat stuff I normally wouldn't but I'm also usually more active so the two cancel each other out.

Ay least that is what I tell myself! :)

Calm seas,

Caroline

My 5lbs were real weight gain. I already deducted the 2-4lbs that was gone within 48 hours.

I have a real slow metabolism, so I gain weight very quickly and easily when I veer from my strict eating plan.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not huge, only a size 10 at 5'9", but I have the potential.:eek:

count in all the drinking.....i never eat dessert at home....always on a cruise......drink in hand most of the time...anyway....i always gain a pound a day...loose about half right away...the rest sticks like glue....i have been on several long cruises and now weigh 6000 lbs....:eek: just kidding well kind off lol:cool:

I was on the Diamond last June. I got off the ship on a Saturday 11 pounds heavier than when I got on. But, by the following Thursday, I had lost those 11 pounds.

And, I haven't a clue how many calories I consumed. -I'm in the camp of "I don't want to know." I didn't really ever "pig out" but I never deprived myself of anything I wanted either.

I have either actually lost weight on cruises, or stayed the same! probably because I go to the on board gym everday, and eat whatever I want in moderation, I tend to stay somewhat low -carb and indulde in something sweet when I want once a day or whatever meal I choose. Aso eating is usually a lot more relaxed then my usual run around schedule at home! Enjoy! If you are lucky enough to be sailing on Celebrity Millinieum or the Constellatiin, their food is fanastic, and they have spa cuisine available that is really delicious.

3500 calories is very easy to consume on a cruise. (Breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, desert, snack, desert, liquor) you get the idea...

I ate so much when I was on my cruise. But with all the walking around in the heat, and going up and down hills, having fun in the water, it's really easy to burn those calories.

I didn't gain a single pound on my cruise.

I had been on low carbs for seven months prior to the cruise and lost 50 pounds, and decided to go off the wagon so to speak on the cruise. After all, it was a vacation. I gained five pounds and a week later had lost it all after going back to the low carbs. I ate alot on the cruise, drank a fair amount and just enjoyed myself. I dont think you need to be on a diet on a cruise. The diet can wait until you get back home.

A rough estimate is that you can consume about 2,800 calories to maintain 180-200 pound weight if you are a 40 year old male. This is just sitting around, no exerecise. Lots of variables in here, but that is an estimate. You can debate all day the variety of fad diets out there, but if you have even a remotely balanced diet (i.e., you can't eat 2,800 calories of just snicker's bars), then it is pretty much calories in versus calories out.

I track everything that I eat, and I mean everything (I know, I know, perhaps a bit over the top). I normally average about 2,000 calories a day. On the cruise, I averaged 3,300 calories/day, and a good amount of that was from alchohol. I ran around the track 30-45 minutes a day, and used up 310 calories per day on average. I didn't count the stairs, as the exercise associated with that is really insignificant (I only rode the elevator one time -- when I got on the ship with my luggage, going to the 7th floor). So, I ate about 190 calories per day over my stability number of calories. One day, I ate a whopping 4,600 calories (okay, I drank some of those!).

Imagine my surprise when I got home to find that I had gained 10 pounds on a 7 day cruise!! Don't ever weigh yourself the day you get home. I weighed myself four days later -- the result? Same weight as when I left. My guess is that the salt content of the food on a cruise causes people to gain tremendous amounts of water.

A rough estimate is that you can consume about 2,800 calories to maintain 180-200 pound weight if you are a 40 year old male. This is just sitting around, no exerecise. Lots of variables in here, but that is an estimate. You can debate all day the variety of fad diets out there, but if you have even a remotely balanced diet (i.e., you can't eat 2,800 calories of just snicker's bars), then it is pretty much calories in versus calories out.

I track everything that I eat, and I mean everything (I know, I know, perhaps a bit over the top). I normally average about 2,000 calories a day. On the cruise, I averaged 3,300 calories/day, and a good amount of that was from alchohol. I ran around the track 30-45 minutes a day, and used up 310 calories per day on average. I didn't count the stairs, as the exercise associated with that is really insignificant (I only rode the elevator one time -- when I got on the ship with my luggage, going to the 7th floor). So, I ate about 190 calories per day over my stability number of calories. One day, I ate a whopping 4,600 calories (okay, I drank some of those!).

Imagine my surprise when I got home to find that I had gained 10 pounds on a 7 day cruise!! Don't ever weigh yourself the day you get home. I weighed myself four days later -- the result? Same weight as when I left. My guess is that the salt content of the food on a cruise causes people to gain tremendous amounts of water.

Alcohol also makes one retain much water.

I actually lost weight while on my cruise. Like some one else said, with all the food around, I just couldn’t make up my mind what I wanted, so I only ate at the scheduled meal times. Kind of like a kid in the candy store. Also, I never sat down, I was always doing something, so the inadvertent exercise worked off what I did overload on. Think of it this way, if you start your cruise weighing, say 180 lbs and are 5’10” tall. And when you get back you suddenly weigh 200 lbs. Then you must be at least 6’2” tall. See, you don’t gain weight; you just grow a little bit.

I think as you get older and slower you tend to hold a little of the weight you pick up on the ship.

The wife usually picks up about 7 lbs.

Me - it's about 4 to 5 but - as they stated above - drop it off to 1 or 2 withing 3 or four days of returning.

I'm on the go in the am exercising for at least an hour.

We both walk everywhere - no elevators.

This past trip was tough.

We were on level 9 and the gangway was on level 2.

Lots of walking up the stairs.

I think as you get older and slower you tend to hold a little of the weight you pick up on the ship.

The wife usually picks up about 7 lbs.

Me - it's about 4 to 5 but - as they stated above - drop it off to 1 or 2 withing 3 or four days of returning.

I'm on the go in the am exercising for at least an hour.

We both walk everywhere - no elevators.

This past trip was tough.

We were on level 9 and the gangway was on level 2.

Lots of walking up the stairs.

My biggest fear was if the formals I just got will still fit by 2 & 3rd formal night of my 11 night cruise?

I am thinking, maybe body slimmers just in case.

I think we will probably get more excercise on the ship & excursions than we normally do during cold months at home.

And if it is really hot?? The salt is a big issue with us too.

We both tend to swell in the feet.:(

I usually lose 3-5 pounds on each cruise. I never eat dessert (occasionally a sorbet), swim some each day, always try to take the stairs and do extensive walking while on shore excursions. I never actually work out, I am allergic to gyms and the equipment found there. The closest I will get is in the sauna where I sweat off all the booze that I consumed the day before.

The year my husband turned 30 I sent him and a friend of his who was going through an ugly divorce on a four day cruise. I think the friend made a spectacle of himself with eating. He's a huge guy, not really fat but very tall and very big. Anyway he put on 15lbs in four days.

Given that it is pretty much calories in versus calories out, you'd have to walk a *lot* to make a difference. In order to burn off one pina colada, you'd have to walk for about 90 minutes. If you eat an additional 1000 calories per day while on a cruise, you're going to need to be walking about 6 hours / day to break even.