Panama Canal Show

BecciBoo

It is 7:00 CST here in Texas and we are right this minute watching a show on the dredging for the enlarged Panama Canal on the SciFi Channel!

They just said that every ship that passes through the Panama Canal pays $100,000 one way. Thought that was interesting as is the show. Don't know if there will be a repeat.

I spent 10 days in Panama this past February and we did the canal transit.

That price sounds about right, but when you consider that it takes on average 17 days to go around the tip of South America (not including weather delays) and that it can cost $10,000 or more in fuel costs daily, you get a better understanding at why ships are willing to pay the fees.

It is 7:00 CST here in Texas and we are right this minute watching a show on the dredging for the enlarged Panama Canal on the SciFi Channel!

They just said that every ship that passes through the Panama Canal pays $100,000 one way. Thought that was interesting as is the show. Don't know if there will be a repeat.

Becci, on the HAL board I read it costs well over $300,000 for the ship we'll be on (Zuiderdam) to enter and exit the canal.:eek: I believe the price varies depending on the size (tonnage) of the ship.

I hope they repeat the show...I'm slowly starting to do research for our November cruise, and I definitely want to learn more about the canal before we go!

Archived