Royal clipper cabins

shilu

Has anyone cruised in cat 6 inside cabin on the Royal clipper and did they wish they had upgraded?

We are used to big ship cruising inside cabins but have heard the beds are smaller than a double, on the RC.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

The inside cat 6 cabins on the Royal Clipper are on the small side at about 110 sq feet. The bed is a fixed double that is pushed up against the far bulkhead. There is a small table next to the bed, drawers in the bed, and a average sized closet.

It's quite functional, but also a lot smaller than your average main stream cruise ship cabin.

I've cruised as a single 2 times in one of these cabins, including a 16 day transatlantic and have no regrets. (When I went with my wife, I booked us in a cat 5 outside.)

Aloha,

John

John

Thanks for your advice John.

I will be travelling with my husband so it sounds like it could be a bit tight, but do you think it is worth paying the extra to upgrade to cat 4 which is £250pp extra, star clippers say they are sold out of cat 5?

Many thanks,

Shilu

Shilu -

It's up to you... You can pay for a lot of drinks and excursions with that money *IF* you can live with the lack of floor space, and the smaller bed...

FYI, the cat.4 cabin will have the same amount of furniture (a small bench, plus a stool.

Aloha,

John

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for your advice John.

I will be travelling with my husband so it sounds like it could be a bit tight, but do you think it is worth paying the extra to upgrade to cat 4 which is £250pp extra, star clippers say they are sold out of cat 5?

Many thanks,

Shilu

The cat 5 cabins are horrible. They are so small, no storage, the bed is just another story all together. The cat 6 is actually better than the 5.

• 4 months later...
Has anyone cruised in cat 6 inside cabin on the Royal clipper and did they wish they had upgraded?

We are used to big ship cruising inside cabins but have heard the beds are smaller than a double, on the RC.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

So r u saying the Cat 6 has a Double Bed- that hardly seems room for 2 adults> What is size bed on Cat 4 and 5, and do they upgrade u on ship if u request or "give" free upgrades if they r not fully booked??

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I was in the inside cabin room 212 Royal clipper and it was perfectly fine.

The bed was up against the wall but a perfectly good size double bed. I did have to straddle across my husband if I needed the loo but the room size and storage was just as good if not better than some of the outside cabins.

Of course if you are not happy, you can change once onboard, it is a bit discounted but for us it was not worth it as we hardly spent any time in the room.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember having cabin 224 cat 6 on the Royal Clipper while doing the Transatlantic crossing plus the first week summer cruise that ended in Barcelona last year. I am 5'9" tall and I remember the length of the bed was just about the same as my height. Also, there was a drop-down twin or bunk bed just above the main bed and I kept it folded up against the bulkhead.

I was a single passenger. I thought at the time that I was lucky to be by myself as two of us in that cabin for any length of non-sleep time would be a bit much. But it depends on the personalities of a couple in small spaces. Mostly I used the cabin for sleep. Other times just for quiet and sometimes for reading. But, I am now 72 yrs old. Age, maybe? Who knows. I am not a party animal. In am in the sack early and up early.

I will say this. If you are inclined to spend more time in a cabin than in the public areas of the ship you might want to carefully consider all the options. I noticed that some of my friends who had nice cabins with seaside patios were not seen as much out and about.

If the ship is not sold out when you board you should ask the hotel manager for a tour of available cabins.... pronto! If you see something you like....go for it. But do not delay as old hands at this game know to move quickly to change cabins when they first board. There is something else I noticed when I did the cabin tour. Many cabins are uniquely different in ways not shown on the web site diagrams. You just have to see the cabins for yourself. Being a single passenger I felt a small cabin was just fine and I used the money I saved on the cabin to book tours at various port visits. For me that worked out just fine.

Also, during the eastbound crossing there only ninety some passengers that left plenty of little nooks and crannies available to stay out of sight in the public areas. Surprisingly, with the ship full of passengers in the Med there were still places to be found were you could read or just avoid the commotion of roving passengers.

What I did not understand was what the different categories of cabins really signify. From what I saw it was hard to see the other categories of cabins as anything unique from the cabin I had. Some were larger cabins. But many were not. This issue of figuring out the variety of cabins seems like an endless challenge. And do not be surprised if the comments about available cabins by the hotel manager leaves you just as confused as before. He has an altogether different way of talking about cabins. Maybe it is just a royal pain in the neck for the hotel manager when someone asked to see other cabins. He sure did not seem thrilled when I broached the subject.

Good luck with all that.

Now that I think about it I have heard from some passengers about machinery noise heard from some of their cabins. Cabin 224 is a little forward of the mid-ships area. It was as quiet as an abandoned monastery. The only sounds I ever heard from that cabin was voices in the passageway. I would think that general area of the ship is quiet. Around the fan tail area of the ship are the mechanical spaces down below and if you have a cabin towards the rear of the ship you may hear some activity. But I have not heard any real complaints in that regard.