North to Alaska, Shadowmeboy's Jewel Shimmering Pictorial Review

shadowmeboy

Thank you so much for letting us all come along with you all on your trip. I have enjoyed coming home from work each night and checking out what you all got up to. It’s kinda weird that I can’t wait for you to go on your November cruise..right? It’s made me put Alaska on my must do cruises. Most cruises for us involve long flights from down here in New Zealand so having someone covering a trip so thoroughly is fantastic! Love that you included photos of the food, on and off the ship as I’m a bit of a foodie and can’t wait to start planning...maybe a north followed by south trip . A big thanks to you both for sharing, Julie.

Thank you for following along. I don’t think it’s weird. We love sailing Alaska, and will sail again in 2020.

Susan and I are both foodies, so we love to take pictures of food. Dywers in Ketchikan is a must revisit for us. Of course, Pioneer Cafe if there at breakfast!

Let me know if you need any assistance planning!

- Matthew

Have enjoyed your review so much. Question about the bus trip up to the Yukon in Skagway...are there restrooms on the bus? Were there any "pit stops" along the way?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

No restrooms on the bus. The driver was constantly asking if anyone needed a bathroom break. We all went before we left and at lunch. No one needed it on the road, but plenty of opportunities.

Great review, thanks for sharing! I went on the Jewel out of Houston a few years back in an oceanview on deck 8...real story, my oceanview window was "Frosted opaque for privacy" so there was no light coming through :eek: Otherwise, a great ship!

Matthew, We are tentatively planning a SB cruise in Sept of 2020. As it stands now on the Jewel, but of course that could change. When you stopped in Skagway, did you here of anyone taking the Chilkot Eagle Preserve excursion? That is the one main highlight I am doing the cruise for.

Great review, thanks for sharing! I went on the Jewel out of Houston a few years back in an oceanview on deck 8...real story, my oceanview window was "Frosted opaque for privacy" so there was no light coming through :eek: Otherwise, a great ship!

Thanks for reading, I am glad you enjoyed it!

Matthew, We are tentatively planning a SB cruise in Sept of 2020. As it stands now on the Jewel, but of course that could change. When you stopped in Skagway, did you here of anyone taking the Chilkot Eagle Preserve excursion? That is the one main highlight I am doing the cruise for.

I have heard about it, but no one I talked too did it. Most people did the train, which is to be expected.

We are looking at a June 2020 Southbound. Starting Alaska in Fairbanks.

If your talking about the Chilikat Bald Eagle Preserve float down the river. I'm doing that next Friday. I'll try relay my experience best I can.

If your talking about the Chilikat Bald Eagle Preserve float down the river. I'm doing that next Friday. I'll try relay my experience best I can.

That is the one. I would appreciate any info.

Awesome as always! Thanks for a great review. Doing the round trip Seattle with a friend who won’t fly. B2B too much $$$$.

Thank you! Totally understand the fear of flying some people get and the cost.. Enjoy your trip nonetheless!

Thanks again for another wonderful review with so many great pictures. I hope to go to Alaska someday. :)

I'll also be looking forward to your Bliss review as I'd love to sail that ship, too.

Heather

Alaska is so awesome. Everyone should go at least once.

Thank you for following and I am glad you enjoyed it! I am looking forward to the Bliss. I am already planning how I am going to attack that, plus there are surprises in store for Susan!

Alaska is so awesome. Everyone should go at least once.

Thank you for following and I am glad you enjoyed it! I am looking forward to the Bliss. I am already planning how I am going to attack that, plus there are surprises in store for Susan!

Nice, leaving us with a cliff hanger! ;p I look forward to finding out about Susan's surprises. :)

Heather

Hi Shadowmeboy/Matthew - really enjoyed your review, felt like I was right there with you guys! We have the Jewel booked SB out of Seward next Aug 2019. Long wait but lots of time to plan.

Regarding your stateroom - we booked 5516, port side oceanview, almost straight across from where you were. I couldn't spend the money for a balcony but wanted the window to be able to look outside when I wake up. Also, I like being near the elevators. But every other cruise I've done, I've stayed 10 or higher and mid-ship, a little worried about being this low and far forward on a cruise. Did you feel alot of movement? Was it noisy? Looks like we are right outside the Stardust?

Thanks for the details in your review!

Hi Shadowmeboy/Matthew - really enjoyed your review, felt like I was right there with you guys! We have the Jewel booked SB out of Seward next Aug 2019. Long wait but lots of time to plan.

Regarding your stateroom - we booked 5516, port side oceanview, almost straight across from where you were. I couldn't spend the money for a balcony but wanted the window to be able to look outside when I wake up. Also, I like being near the elevators. But every other cruise I've done, I've stayed 10 or higher and mid-ship, a little worried about being this low and far forward on a cruise. Did you feel alot of movement? Was it noisy? Looks like we are right outside the Stardust?

Thanks for the details in your review!

Lori,

Thank you for following and enjoying!

I love the Southbound itinerary! Icy Strait Point is awesome!

We were feeling the movement all over the ship. We had rough seas a couple of days. On other days, it wasn’t noticeable.

The room and hallway were quite even when shows were occurring. Shouldn’t be a problem for you.

- Matthew

Thanks for the great trip report! Do you mind a couple questions? How early did you arrive at King Street Station? We have reserved coach seats. Does that mean we have assigned seats or should we arrive early for seat assignments? What was your Uber cost from your airport hotel to King Street Station? Do you mind me asking? Thanks!

Thanks for the great trip report! Do you mind a couple questions? How early did you arrive at King Street Station? We have reserved coach seats. Does that mean we have assigned seats or should we arrive early for seat assignments? What was your Uber cost from your airport hotel to King Street Station? Do you mind me asking? Thanks!

We got to the train station at a few minutes after 6:00 am. There was already a line to check bags. Bag checkin starts at 6:30 am. I suggest you get there at about 6.

The reserved coach means you have a seat somewhere on the train. You still need seat assignments. Once you check in bags immediately go get in line to get your coach seat assignment. You will be in line for a bit before they start. Ask politely for seats on the left hand side so you are on the puget sound side of the train.

We used Uber Black for a comfortable ride and to make sure the bags fit. We payed about $85 before tip. I was expecting that amount and budgeted it.

Hope that helps!

Lori,

Thank you for following and enjoying!

I love the Southbound itinerary! Icy Strait Point is awesome!

We were feeling the movement all over the ship. We had rough seas a couple of days. On other days, it wasn’t noticeable.

The room and hallway were quite even when shows were occurring. Shouldn’t be a problem for you.

- Matthew

Thanks perfect answer!

Wow, what a review!!! Your details and pictures are just amazing! We did this north route 2 summers ago on Princess and I've been researching and pricing different options for next summer. I am leaning toward this exact cruise on the Jewel but can I ask why you recommend this over a round trip Seattle cruise? I've looked at those too and I'd love to hear your opinion since you've done both. Thanks!