2012 Guide - Places to See in Saint John New Brunswick for Cruise Ship visitors

fundy

Thanks for all the great information about St. John. I am considering taking a Carnival cruise in October to St. John and Halifax but noticed last night that the ship arrives in St. John on Monday, October 13th, Canadian Thanksgiving. Will anything be open on that day? I will probably want to just walk around town to see the Markets and have a great seafood meal but understand that it is a holiday to celebrate with families so the merchants could be closed (and I wouldn't blame them). Any insight is great appreciated. Thanks!

Hello,

For those who are visiting Saint John NB this year.

Here is an updated, free and no publicity Saint John port guide written by a fellow cruiser. With maps, GPS coordinates etc.

http://www.tomsportguides.com/SaintJohn-NB-05-30-2014.pdf

The guide is very helpful.. We are thinking of eating lunch in Saint John. Do you have any suggestions for good food, atmosphere and not too expensive?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for all the great information about St. John. I am considering taking a Carnival cruise in October to St. John and Halifax but noticed last night that the ship arrives in St. John on Monday, October 13th, Canadian Thanksgiving. Will anything be open on that day? I will probably want to just walk around town to see the Markets and have a great seafood meal but understand that it is a holiday to celebrate with families so the merchants could be closed (and I wouldn't blame them). Any insight is great appreciated. Thanks!

More will be open than you'd expect for a holiday, especially uptown, since cruise ships bring in so many people. I love when cruise ships are in on Sundays, because it means the market is likely open. It's too early for businesses to have posted their Thanksgiving schedules yet though, so I can't be more specific.

• 2 weeks later...
The guide is very helpful.. We are thinking of eating lunch in Saint John. Do you have any suggestions for good food, atmosphere and not too expensive?

Thanks.

Just noticed I did not answer your post. Although I have sailed in Canada/New England many times, my ships never stopped in Saint John. So, I cannot suggest a restaurant. Perhaps somebody else who sees this post will be able to....

Hello,

We will be on Brilliance of the Seas docking into St John, NB 15 October (7am - 5.30pm) and would like to visit the St Martins Sea Caves.

I found this link which shows the tides would this be applicable for the sea caves too?

stmartinscanada.com/pdf/Tide_Schedule_2014.p…

So in order to walk on the sea bed on 15 October we should arrive by say 11am for low tide at midday?

How long does it remain walkable would that be until high tide comes in at 6.16pm?

If that is the case we could come anytime between 12pm-6pm to see low tide and if we wanted to see high tide it would be anywhere between 6am-midday?

Sorry for all the questions, I have no idea when it comes to tides!

• 2 weeks later...
Hello,

We will be on Brilliance of the Seas docking into St John, NB 15 October (7am - 5.30pm) and would like to visit the St Martins Sea Caves.

I found this link which shows the tides would this be applicable for the sea caves too?

stmartinscanada.com/pdf/Tide_Schedule_2014.p…

So in order to walk on the sea bed on 15 October we should arrive by say 11am for low tide at midday?

How long does it remain walkable would that be until high tide comes in at 6.16pm?

If that is the case we could come anytime between 12pm-6pm to see low tide and if we wanted to see high tide it would be anywhere between 6am-midday?

Sorry for all the questions, I have no idea when it comes to tides!

http://stmartinscanada.com/events.htm

That page says the caves are accessible for about 2 hours on either side of low tide. ie if low tide is at noon, the ideal time to visit is from 10am to 2pm. Bring shoes you don't mind getting wet because the beach is rocky and there's always a small stream of water that you need to cross to get to the caves.

• 9 months later...