Nynashamn Complimentary Shuttle Bus

HG2018

For anyone who had received the email stating that due to the port changing from the original booking you'd receive a complimentary shuttle to Stockholm, has this actually been true? I had a friend on the first sailing of the season on the Breakaway and there was no shuttle. So on the more recent sailings did they get their act together and actually provide the shuttle bus?

On our recent Breakaway cruise, we received the email bout the change and the free transfer into Stockholm.

Here's how it worked: We saw somewhere (maybe a notice in the stateroom or in the daily) that if you had booked prior to Nynashamn being the designated port stop, you could get a complimentary transfer to Stockholm and that you'd have to go to Guest Service no later than the evening of the 2nd St. Petersburg day to get "signed up" for that. I did, and that was no problem -- guest services made a note of our cabin number and then put a sticker on our card to identify us. I wasn't sure if we all needed to be there at guest services to get the sticker. I took my son with me, and they just gave me an extra sticker for my husband.

That sticker got us a free bus to the train station. And, as we were lining up for the shuttle bus to the train station, NCL staff gave each of us sticker-havers a 24 hour train ticket (hang on to it for the return trip).

On the return, we used the same train ticket to get back to Nynasham, and once we arrived at the station, shuttle buses were waiting to take us back to the pier.

The train ride was around an hour, and the shuttle bus part was 4-5 minutes.

I brought a copy of the email I received from NCL about the free transfers with me, in case I needed proof. I did not need it. Still, I'd bring a copy just in case.

Great! Thank you! Now I'm just trying to get the letter NCL sent our travel agency so we have the proof just in case. Still annoying but just happy to get to see Stockholm!

The train broke down last week, NCL had to send coaches to rescue passengers and get them back to the ship, everyone was late, NCL don’t seem to use local knowledge, the next day was a public holiday and everyone was escaping Stockholm, even our coach a NCL tour got stuck in traffic, and we returned late back. It’s a complete farce docking in Nynashamn.

I have to say I was extremely disappointed in the berthing change from Stockholm to Nynasham. Cruising the archipelago was one of the things I was most looking forward to on the cruise and when we finally did get into Stockholm, I looked at the Viking Cruise Lines (not river cruise) ship with great envy. The Nynasham transfer was okay, I mean it worked, but it was a major buzzkill for our group.

I should add, too, that there seemed to be some difficulty in the actual docking in Nynashamn. Not sure why, but we were late getting off the ship. The cruise line did add two extra hours to the day in Stockholm to make up for the extra time required getting into the city, but we didn't end up getting those two hours (maybe only one -- don't remember exactly) Here's hoping they can get that sorted out for future cruises..

The train broke down last week, NCL had to send coaches to rescue passengers and get them back to the ship, everyone was late, NCL don’t seem to use local knowledge, the next day was a public holiday and everyone was escaping Stockholm, even our coach a NCL tour got stuck in traffic, and we returned late back. It’s a complete farce docking in Nynashamn.

Was this on the 5th? We were on a train that had to sit for about a half hour but it eventually moved and we got in ok, around 5:30. I wonder if it was the train after that one? How stressful!

Please note that someone posted in the Baltic board about having difficulties with the HOHO bus shuttles in Nynashamn. The driver was working off commission and refused to leave until the bus was full. Due to the free bus provided by NCL, only 20 people were on the HOHO bus. After an hour and a half, the bus finally left with a lot of frustrated passengers. https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2642125

In general due to the excellent public transportation system, HOHO buses aren't recommended in Stockholm since you can wait longer for them than public transport.

When we docked in Nynashamn several years ago on a NCL cruise, we had to pay something like $79 a person to take the shuttle to Stockholm. Was booked as a shore excursion - Stockholm on your own but included the Vasa tour.

We were on the June 7th Breakaway and I'm critical of Norwegian typically. However, the way they executed our Stockholm free transportation was as good as can be expected. You need to qualify for the free transportation as mentioned already in this thread in order to get your sticker (blue for adults, red for seniors or kids) and put that on your cruise key card. As you walk off the expandable gangway, Norwegian crew are there to point you in the right direction. If you have the sticker you go right and through a tent, receive a 24-hour transport card, and catch a bus to the train station. Norwegian gave you times for the trains and suggested which is the last train to return. See attached.

The 24-train card is also good on all Stockholm city transportation options (bus, trams, ferries, etc) and will save you a lot of time and effort as this is the most efficient way to get around. Tram 7 for instance to the Vasa after you arrive at Stockholm City (just a short few blocks walk away). The Breakaway is just too big of a boat to get into Stockholm and the fact that they tried was probably the biggest mistake. It would be way better to sail into Stockholm and port in town, but this ultimately didn't make too much of a difference for us--although was annoying.

On our stop in Stockholm, the last train back (at 3:54) encountered some electrical problem about 15 minutes south of Stockholm--45 minutes or so away from Nynashamn. There were about 500 people on this train and some took taxis back to port (costing about $300 USD). Norwegian heard of this issue, and since this was the last train that they approved of taking, send out the buses that were waiting at Nynashamn train station all the way up to pickup the passengers that were stuck. The trains aren't the responsibility of Norwegian, but I give them credit for sending those buses and getting those people. We left port about 2-hours late but made up the time and arrived at Copenhagen on time.

415833184_StockholmtrainfromNynashamn.JPG.ba207f3f0fd322573a5c0db3bb75bf46.JPG

When we docked in Nynashamn several years ago on a NCL cruise, we had to pay something like $79 a person to take the shuttle to Stockholm. Was booked as a shore excursion - Stockholm on your own but included the Vasa tour.

Same here - if I correctly recall, we paid $99 in 2011 but our transfer did not include the Vasa.