Self Check out of Camp Ocean - advice please!

Only you know your kid. My youngest was able to handle it at 9 with strict rules. It’s not like letting a kid wander town - it’s a confined floating resort. We provided very strict rules and structure at this age and it worked great. We tested by sitting on Lido and having him walk to camp and back. We tried it from the room. When he was comfortable, he left dinner and went to camp - we peaked in after dessert. He’s an easy kid, observant and responsible so he was ready. Especially since he had been cruising since 2.

My older child was over 10 before I gave him the same freedom.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When my sons were that age, I let them sign themselves out. We had rules that if you signed yourself out, you could walk to get an ice-cream and then you had to come back to the cabin. After 10pm, they cannot sign themselves out so late at night you don't have to worry. This was all before the Carnival Hub app so we couldn't message each other back then. When they were a bit older, they were allowed to hang out with their friends but no one goes into anyone's cabin. My advice is to not panic, set some rules, see how things go. A good threat is that if they do not follow rules, they will lose their sign out privileges.

I personally would be nervous about a 9 year old walking alone through a ship looking for his parents. A ship is like a small floating city. There is always a risk of some bad people onboard, although most are fun loving families. No. I wouldn’t allow it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

And let me add that I’m a grandma of 14, but I raised my 5 children during an age (1970s) of more “free range”. My kids walked to school alone, and played outside and rode bikes everywhere in our small city. No helicopter mom here!! They grew up to be independent individuals. But I still would be nervous with a child walking around a ship alone, although I see plenty doing it.

I didn't see mention of it, so I will share. We bring walkie talkies. When they leave camp, they ping ours with where they are going or ask to meet us where we are. It is a check in, but still allows them freedom to leave camp.

The camp did no allow my child to keep her walkie-talkie. Maybe on your ship they will allow your kids to keep them.

The camp did no allow my child to keep her walkie-talkie. Maybe on your ship they will allow your kids to keep them.

was it the kind that needed to be kept turned on at all times? yes i can see the counselors taking those. Very annoying to people around you.

If it was the kind that you kept turned off until you needed to call someone I dont see why the kid couldnt keep it in the cubby they give him/her for the week

I personally would be nervous about a 9 year old walking alone through a ship looking for his parents. A ship is like a small floating city. There is always a risk of some bad people onboard, although most are fun loving families. No. I wouldn’t allow it.

they should also know where the parents will be at any given hour or half hour. There is no reason any kid should be roaming. The parents should be on deck 5, 9, 10 or 11. (more on 5 or 9) so that kid is NOT roaming the ship only certain decks and these decks are PUBLIC. No kid should ever be in the cabin spaces

Just wondering if anyone noticed' date=' did most of the kids in the 9-10 yr old range have the privilege? Not have the privilege? Or around 50%?[/quote']

I wouldn’t know numbers but from meeting other families, many were given the privilege as the cruise went on.