Medical Evac at sea on GTS Constellation by USCG Helo

Xcruiser

Amazing how the mast and side rails are folded down. I wondered how a helicopter landed in such a tight space. Thanks for sharing.

I too thought it was neat how it all folded down and how a helicopter could land on a small moving object. cool video thanks for sharing. I hope the crew member was alright.

Amazing how the mast and side rails are folded down. I wondered how a helicopter landed in such a tight space. Thanks for sharing.

They did two fly by's and just put it down right on the spot, it was windy as well. They made it look easy but I'm sure that was a first for them...they are very good at what they do.

I too thought it was neat how it all folded down and how a helicopter could land on a small moving object. cool video thanks for sharing. I hope the crew member was alright.

We were told it was a appendicitis and we heard he was doing well after arriving in Miami. Apparently it was his first cruise onboard Constellation – not a good way to start. :rolleyes:

They did two fly by's and just put it down right on the spot, it was windy as well. They made it look easy but I'm sure that was a first for them...they are very good at what they do.

It's the USCG...no job too tough!

(a proud USCG dad...)

While on the Serenade of the Seas last month a passenger had to be evacuated back to Hawaii. We were 1600 nautical miles from Hawaii. The Coast Guard lifted him when we were 100 miles from Hawaii. He had a heart attack and wouldn't be able to make it back to San Diego. Since it was the US Coast Guard we were told they didn't charge anything. However, since the ship had to turn around there may be a charge. There are insurances that pay for an emergency evacuation. Read those policies!! The passenger was stable when we last heard.

Thanks for posting the link to the YouTube clip. We also witnessed a USCG at sea rescue in May, 1997 on the Norwegian Majesty enroute from Boston to Bermuda that I will never forget. We had very strong winds and pretty choppy seas that morning, and soon after struggling to walk around the promenade deck (I was tossed by a gust of wind into the railing), we learned that a female passenger had been seriously hurt, when she fell on the deck and struck her head, sustaining a head injury. The U.S.Coast Guard dispatched a helicopter from the Cape Cod Air Station, which was quite a distance away. From our vantage point in one of the lounges, we watched them hover over the heliopad on the deck during rough seas and winds and flying sideways at the same time. The collective cheers and applause from the passengers and ship's crew when the woman had been safely lifted aboard and the copter took off was incredible. My husband, being a Coast Guard veteran, could barely contain his pride. They truly are "angels".

Video was great, on the Enchantment I saw a video ( they don't have a heliocopter pad) where they lower and diver and then a basket for an elderly women off the coast of boston. She had a detacted retina and need immediate surgery.

Connie has a helicopter pad, but when we were at sea between Ireland and Newfoundland, the procedure was the same as you describe. Two Canadian Coastguardsmen were lowered along with a stretcher, the patient was strapped to it and it was raised and brought into the helicopter. The two Coastguardsmen followed. There was a lot of twisting and turning as the stretcher was raised so I hope the patient was heavily sedated. It was a remarkable procedure to watch.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived