Favorite moments on Silversea

Silver Pearl

Howdy, folks. I'm becoming a bit obsessed with the 25th wedding anniversary Silver Whisper cruise I've booked for my wife and me on November 2. I've long wanted to go on a Silversea cruise, and this feels like the perfect start. But, it's six months off! I can't read enough about Silversea, so I'm hoping folks will share some of their favorite moments.

What were some of your favorite romantic moments?

. . . favorite moments of feeling pampered?

. . . favorite moments of meeting new friends?

. . . favorite adventures on board, or shore-side?

Since I haven't yet cruised Silversea, I can only share two, tiny favorite moments so far:

1. Making the decision and booking the cruise,

2. Discovering a day later that I could go to the Silversea web site, find my cruise, and complete passenger information. It felt like great service.

--Rich

We have sailed many times on Silversea. One great pleasure is: you walk onboard and are greated by smiling friends that remember you from past voyages. As you reconnect with the staff, they hand you a glass of champagne! Ah, home again!

Richard

Specialty Cruise

Other than sharing a wonderful cruise with a great group of women, I have to say one of my favorite moments on our Whisper cruise this past December was watching the parade of waiters and waitresses bring us our specially ordered grand marnier souffles. What a nice presentation and a spectacular desert to boot (do order these one day in advance). Another favorite moment was having breakfast delivered to my suite and having breakfast out on my verandah. There is nothing like it in the world.

Have a great time on your cruise - I know you and your wife will have the best time.

I had an amusing moment on the SILVER WHISPER when one of the sailors on the tender deck said "Excuse me sir, but when I first saw you, I thought you were Sean Connery."

(Better that than "Dick Cheney with a beard.")

Or Commander Schweppes...

Hey, I remember him. He was a very distinguished-looking gent. (Mind you, I haven't seen his picture since I was considerably younger than the Man in the Hathaway Shirt.)

We took SS Whisper about 3 years ago on a 10 day itenerary Rome-Athens, with wonderful stops in Venice, the Greek Islands, and other mainland Greek stops and the Adriatic. Two memories:

1. Sailing down the Grand Canal on the Whisper - all pax on deck, watching as the lovely shoreline of Venice, and great landmarks came into view..............First time in the a.m., second time at sunset - remarkable experience, and very romantic!

2. Met an older, quiet English lady traveling alone on an excursion. After talking at length, found out she was a former Member of Parliament, and she had very interesting stories to share! You certainly can't "tell a book....", and you just never know what delightful person you will run in to on SS!

Glenda

We're currently on the Silver Shadow, anchored today off Sicily. This is our first cruise. I had very high expectations of Silversea...all of which have been exceeded. I know regulars will be very well aware of what life is like on board, but it truly is an incredible experience. I'm already planning my next trip. There are so many things to mention. But, perhaps, it's best to say that every moment is a favourite one whilst sailing on the Shadow.

We're currently on the Silver Shadow, anchored today off Sicily. . . . perhaps, it's best to say that every moment is a favourite one whilst sailing on the Shadow.

I've been appreciating people's recollections of favorite moments on Silversea. Thanks!

It was a treat to read London14's note from the Silver Shadow off Sicily today. It was also fun to read quick bites of people's adventures onboard the various Silversea ships. I won't get taken for James Bond, though when I was young some people thought I resembled John Lennon.

Another treat was CASHIPman's recent trip report. It's nice to read so much detail. There was one paragraph that puzzled me, though. It referred to Silversea ships being more like luxury hotels than nautical experiences. It seems to me I read that same paragraph in another post awhile back. And, I'd like to know more about that idea. Although Silversea ships are luxurious, it seems to me that they are quite competent sailing vessels. Despite "The Unofficial Guides'" remark about shallow drafts and handling in rough seas, I expect that Silversea ships are really shipshape, nautically speaking. Am I wrong?

--Rich

i dont want to put words in cashipmans mouth but i think he might have been referring to the decor of silversea ships and not their viability as sailing vessels. in fact, SS ships are state of the art and one of my favorite moments aboard was watching the captain on the cloud pull the ship away from the dock in stockholm by using what looked like a joystick. and this was in 1994. another favorite moment of mine was sailing out of rio de janeiro on the shadow drinking capparanhas (sp.?) and watching the magnificent city recede as we slipped further and further away. one more special time was on the whisper last year. one evening we were tired and didnt feel like dressing for dinner so we ordered champagne, caviar and pizza in our suite and gorged dressed in our bathrobes. does it get any better?

Just returned from Silver Shadow Venice to Rome--many many memorable moments but one stands out: the night of the deck bbq we were docked in Valletta, Malta and it happened to be during the city's fireworks celebration...there we were dancing under the stars, and then treated to the most fabulous display of fireworks I have ever seen right in front of the ship that went on for hours. I will never forget that night.

Susan

Several other favorite moments:

- Waking up on our first morning of an Athens-Rome cruise and stepping out onto the balcony as the ship drew up to its anchorage off the Gibraltar-like rock of Monemvasia, Greece.

- Watching Stromboli erupt after dinner (Captain Arma had timed the ship's passage so that passengers could enjoy the volcano's fireworks after dessert).

- Sailing past Ischia before sunset.

- Standing on the nearly deserted deck of the SILVER WHISPER late at night as the ship left the Venetian Lagoon for the Adriatic Sea.

- Dining with two delightful entertainers (both veterans of Broadway shows or national touring companies) on the SILVER WHISPER--and on another voyage, discussing family life with Captain Arma at dinner.

Archived