CamCorder Query...

mongo51

I hope I'm in the right place. Has anyonr here used a Canon Elura 100 to shoot video of their cruise? I'm debating wheather to borrow this model, or to purchase a newer Mini DVD unit. I would rather go the borrow route but would like info and or user review on the 100. Any help? Thanks all.

William

... or to purchase a newer Mini DVD unit. I would rather go the borrow route but would like info and or user review on the 100. Any help? Thanks all.

William

William, the Elura 100 is not a mini DVD camcorder, if that is what you are implying here. The Elura 100 uses tape while the mini DVD is disk based.

Your question is rather hard to answer. How hard core of a videographer will you be in this cruise? For a lightweight point and shoot kind, the 100 is sure to please. I personally haven't used the 100, so I can't give a user review.

I know the 100 is a tape unit. Sorry for any confusion. I don't plan on doing to much hard core videogrophy, point and shoot is fine for me but I do want to capture whales and such. I have done some research on the 100 and read mixed reviews. I guess I was just looking for a review right from the horses mouth. So to speak. Thanks.

I know the 100 is a tape unit. Sorry for any confusion. I don't plan on doing to much hard core videogrophy, point and shoot is fine for me but I do want to capture whales and such. I have done some research on the 100 and read mixed reviews. I guess I was just looking for a review right from the horses mouth. So to speak. Thanks.

OK, I have a better idea for its use now. With long distance whale watching, a stronger OPTICAL zoom should be a factor to consider. Having OIS (Optical Image Stabilization) would be a plus. Both in consideration will allow cleaner, less noisy, video of what you aim at. The OIS is no panacea, but with a relatively stable platform it would do you right.

MiniDVD would have less video data capacity than tape. Tape is 13 gigabyte while disk is considerably less. When you're out and about waiting for things to happen with the recording, you may need that extra capacity. Because you'll never know when a whale decides to do a great showing.

• 2 weeks later...

I was going to say go with a DVD unit. I had a JVC MiniDV on my first cruise and it was OK. The extra tapes didnt take up that much space in my pockets while on excursions on wandering the ship. I only used it a couple time on a few vacations, so I just put it up for sale on Ebay. I just bought a Sony miniDVD camcorder. I tested several units in Wal-mart before trekking over to Best Buy and Circuit City to check out what they had. All the stores had the Sony DCR DVD108, which is the model I decided on. I'm not a serious videographer. I mainly record family events, holidays and vacations. This thing will probably be in the closet 11 months out of the year.I was also looking at the Hard Disk HDD units. HSN and QVC had a few by JVC, but I couldnt see putting down $400.00 for a camera that's used a few weeks total out of the year.

Yes, what I mean by-"depends on how hard core you are"

If the closet is the camera's friend , then by all means, don't even spend $ 200. You can now get those Aipteks, or Sanyo HI-Def flash memory, AVC -type handhelds for under $ 250 . Really a great time to take these anywhere you are.

Get a SOny or a Canon HDV camcorder. Why record your memories with yesterday's technology?

When you play it back, it is in high definition with twice the picture quality of DVD or any of the junky memory cams. You won't just watch your memories, you'll relive them!

HDV uses cheap DV tapes which give better picture quality than the other high def formats.

dclark is right. And right now the Canon HV-20 has been discontinued and can be had for $200-300 less than a few months ago. Super deal that I wish I could afford.

However, I suspect that mongo51 is not a gadget hound, so a camcorder that records straight to DVD or mini-DVD might be better for him (her?). No messing about with cables or computers - just watch what you recorded on your DVD player.

I use the first generation Elura from 2000, and it is fine. The Elura 100 is, for the most part, an upgrade. You'll like it, but you will need to transfer from tape to DVD or (shudder) VHS to watch your video at home once you have given the camera back.

When direct-to-Blu-Ray camcorders come out, it will be time for the "point-and-shoot" crowd to buy an HD camcorder.

dclark is right. And right now the Canon HV-20 has been discontinued and can be had for $200-300 less than a few months ago. Super deal that I wish I could afford.

However, I suspect that mongo51 is not a gadget hound, so a camcorder that records straight to DVD or mini-DVD might be better for him (her?). No messing about with cables or computers - just watch what you recorded on your DVD player.

I use the first generation Elura from 2000, and it is fine. The Elura 100 is, for the most part, an upgrade. You'll like it, but you will need to transfer from tape to DVD or (shudder) VHS to watch your video at home once you have given the camera back.

When direct-to-Blu-Ray camcorders come out, it will be time for the "point-and-shoot" crowd to buy an HD camcorder.

Well, today is your lucky day.

Hitachi already came out with their BluRay disk camcorder last year. So get that credit card out and start shooting.

As for the HV20, I've been using it for 9 months now. It's one sweet picture quality. Right now you can have that for about $ 500. The HV30 is around $ 750 online and is such a minor improvement that getting the HV20 is still a very good buy. If still in doubt, check out my videos, it's in high def.

I was unaware of the Hitachi BluRay camcorder. I read a few reviews this morning and it seems pretty poor. Wait for Canon or Panasonic.

HeadShot, I am jealous of your camera, but the $1000 I spent on a digital SLR this month means I'll probably be buying an HV40 or HV50 ;).

I was unaware of the Hitachi BluRay camcorder. I read a few reviews this morning and it seems pretty poor. Wait for Canon or Panasonic.

HeadShot, I am jealous of your camera, but the $1000 I spent on a digital SLR this month means I'll probably be buying an HV40 or HV50 ;).

Hughster, the BluRay system is still fraught with issues- standards, interoperability issues, digital rights management heavy handed built in codes,etc. When Hitachi came out, I believe people was waiting it out, since the format war was hot and heavy. I am not a Hitachi fan as far as camcorders goes. Though they're always first with innovative features, they don't have staying power.

Right now I can burn High Definition videos using regular DVD disks and play it on HD DVD player to an HDTV. Back then you couldn't do that with BluRay. Now you can but still clunky, and some burned disks can't play on some players( frustrating).

Keep a watchful eye on the digital camcorder market- the new SONY is looking to topple Canon. This is going to drive the price pressure down in 2008 and beyond. You probably don't have to wait long.

I'm rooting for ya.

Archived