Which Mayan Ruins?

barrelracer89

My SIL and I are having a hard time choosing between a few of Carnival's excursions. We have narrowed it down to

Alton Ha Mayan Site & River Wallace

Ancient Palace Explorer

Lamanai Mayan Ruins & River Boat Safari

We would love to hear if anyone has done one of these and what you thought about it!

Thank you in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If all you want to do is see the ruins and you're willing to spend all your time in port doing so, and you want to see less excavated ruins, not the cleaned up ruins, the Lamanai is the tour to take. And despite the fact that there are private vendors heading there and many folks have had successful excursions and gotten back to the ship on time, I suggest for ease of mind to do this one via the ship.

If on the other hand you wish to have some time to shop or grab a nice lunch or just not spend the entire day in port, the Altun Ha River Wallace is the one to do. It is only 45 minutes from the tender pier and if you do it via aprivate vendor for cheaper $ than via the ship, you can see the entire thing in an hour/hour and a half. It is cleared and looks more reasonably like what it was when inhabited, not an Indiana Jones site.

Not sure where the Mayan palace is, as all of these sites have temples and "palaces". But if it's at Xunanatunich, that too is a ways away but very interesting set and they do take you to a nice hotel for lunch in San Ignacio afterward on the ship tour. Nice air conditioned motor coach both ways.

My SIL and I are having a hard time choosing between a few of Carnival's excursions. We have narrowed it down to

Alton Ha Mayan Site & River Wallace

Ancient Palace Explorer

Lamanai Mayan Ruins & River Boat Safari

We would love to hear if anyone has done one of these and what you thought about it!

Thank you in advance

We visited the Lamanai Ruins, and enjoyed it very much. The river boat broke the trip and made it more fun. Saw howler monkeys, crocodiles, and other wildlife. Also didn't know there Mennonites in Belize, until we saw farmers along the river. The ruins are not as big some of the other sites, but were still well worth seeing, and you get to climb the pyramid. The view from the top is worth the climb.

I'm sure you'll enjoy whatever you decide.

Edited by Domino D

My wife and I did the Lamanai Mayan Ruins & River Boat Safari and really enjoyed it. I recommend you book the excursion through the cruise line since it pretty much takes all day.

If you have time, you might enjoy seeing my wife's pictures on her website at the link below.

Lamanai Mayan Ruines & River Boat Excursion

Seeing pictures will give you an idea of what to expect and help you decide. Happy cruising!

Edited by JimAOk1945

My wife and I did the Lamanai Mayan Ruins & River Boat Safari and really enjoyed it. I recommend you book the excursion through the cruise line since it pretty much takes all day.

If you have time, you might enjoy seeing my wife's pictures on her website at the link below.

Seeing pictures will give you an idea of what to expect and help you decide. Happy cruising!

We are going to book anything we do in Belize with the cruise line I don't want to be left behind.

Did this include lunch?

Thank you for sharing the pictures. This looks like a very interesting tour. Loved the pictures!

San :)

Bear in mind the pics Jim posted are outdated. You will not climb the face of the temple. It has been replaced with wooden stairs and hand rails on the back of the temple.

Also, I cannot vouch for RCCL, but the boats and facilities for my recent CCL excursion for the river portion of the trip are different from what Jim is showing.

Bear in mind the pics Jim posted are outdated. You will not climb the face of the temple. It has been replaced with wooden stairs and hand rails on the back of the temple.

Also, I cannot vouch for RCCL, but the boats and facilities for my recent CCL excursion for the river portion of the trip are different from what Jim is showing.

Can not say i'm surprised that they no longer let you climb the face. It was fun, but really was steep. When we were there some guy did it with a little girl on his shoulders. He almost lost her twice coming down. Probably a lot safer and more accessible I bet.

• 6 months later...
We're trying to decide between Altun Ha & River Wallace and Lamanai & River Boat Safari through Carnival.

Key issue then is TIME. Are you okay with spending the greater part if not the whole time in port on an excursion with low probability to do anything else? Lamanai.

Or if you didn't want to spend all day on a tour and maybe walk around the cruise port or the flea market across the way or head to One Barrel Rum, then do Altun Ha.

• 4 months later...
Key issue then is TIME. Are you okay with spending the greater part if not the whole time in port on an excursion with low probability to do anything else? Lamanai.

Or if you didn't want to spend all day on a tour and maybe walk around the cruise port or the flea market across the way or head to One Barrel Rum, then do Altun Ha.

I know this is an older thread, but on the Carnival site it lists Lamanai as 5 hours but Altun as 6.5. So if we wanna see the port is it best to do the Lamanai?

Unless the trip to Lamanai is direct and via roads, I'd venture the time is off on the website. Altun Ha at 6.5 hours means something else is added, city tour? cavetubing? zip line. Transportation via River Wallace, maybe?

With kids, with tendering, I heartily suggest you look into a private vendor if you want to see ruins in this port. Altun Ha could fit your family better, especially if it's a hot or muggy day.

• 5 months later...