NCL Gem Obstructed Oceanview question

mgf316

Hello i am cruising on the gem and will be staying in obstructed oceanview cabin 8578. Has anyone ever stayed in this room before? how obstructed is it? pics? also anyone that has stayed in an obstructed view room and had a good view please let me know. Thanks!!:D

We stayed in an obstructed view on the Pearl (same layout as Gem) and got lucky. Our window was between 2 lifeboats so we had a pretty good view and some sunshine now and then. Just beware, the crew does run drills and things with the lifeboats while in port, and you may have someone standing outside your window.

Okay, this is kind of a convoluted answer but try and bear with me. I went looking for a pic of your room and wasn't able to find one. However, after Pappion stated that the Pearl was the same layout, I decided to check there. What I was able to find was a video of cabin 8076 which is the other side of the ship and one cabin forward from yours. The lifeboat layout will be the same on both sides so with that in mind, the cabin next to yours, 8576, sits right between two of the lifeboats. Unfortunately, this will put you pretty squarely behind a lifeboat. I wish I had better news but at least you have some idea of what to expect now.

Obstructed OV on the Gem or similar ships should be considered for its slightly bigger room sized vs. Insides, natural lights & its deck location vs. lower decks.

OP, you have a fairly good, mid-ship location, easy & quick access to midship stairs & elevators - O'Sheehan's are 2 dozen steps away for 24/7 comfort food. Don't worry about the views outside your stateroom's big picture window, it is called obstructed for good reasons - just a matter of how much is blocked.

Get out of the staterooms, there are plenty of places to sit back, relax & look out ... try the Spinmaker's Lounge on Deck 13 Fwd. Checkout the Bridge Viewing Room on sea days, open dusk to dawn unless closed for maritime security reasons. OSH has full picture windows, floor to ceiling - enjoy coffee & dessert there.

We're in #8570 this May, several cabins in front of yours - see this link for all the details, including latest pictures inside ours ... your view is probably different, with a single, big picture window (ours are smaller twins) -

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2423660

• 6 months later...
Hello i am cruising on the gem and will be staying in obstructed oceanview cabin 8578. Has anyone ever stayed in this room before? how obstructed is it? pics? also anyone that has stayed in an obstructed view room and had a good view please let me know. Thanks!!:D

I am staying in this same cabin in March we’re you able to take pic’s?? Would love to see them. My confirmation says it’s a Pothole.

Just off the gem 5/19 -5/26 sailing, stayed in 8578. the cabin has 2 windows, don't choose this cabin for the view, you can tell what the weather is from these windows, and that's about it. We loved the cabin, it is steps away from everything, centrally located, hard to beat for convenience, the only observation that might be considered a negative, was that the shows in the atrium could be heard in the room, if you're a late night person this won't be an issue, we were half the time, so it wasn't a deal breaker. This ship is great, just the right size, crew was awesome, we love the Jewel class ships! Enjoy your cruise!:):):):)

Just off the gem 5/19 -5/26 sailing, stayed in 8578. the cabin has 2 windows, don't choose this cabin for the view, you can tell what the weather is from these windows, and that's about it. We loved the cabin, it is steps away from everything, centrally located, hard to beat for convenience, the only observation that might be considered a negative, was that the shows in the atrium could be heard in the room, if you're a late night person this won't be an issue, we were half the time, so it wasn't a deal breaker. This ship is great, just the right size, crew was awesome, we love the Jewel class ships! Enjoy your cruise!:):):):)

Thank you didn’t choose this cabin for a “view”just the sunlight 😊

Appreciate you answering Glad you had. Great time. I love the Gem! Can’t wait to get back on her

I am staying in this same cabin in March we’re you able to take pic’s?? Would love to see them. My confirmation says it’s a Pothole.

Are you sure it's a porthole as confirmed by NCL ??? We're just off the Gem last month, our BIL/SIL were in the oversized #8100, obstructed Oceanview with a large rectangular Oceanview window, it's further back near the AFT elevators & stairs, bottom 1/3 is definitely blocked by the lifeboat but over it, mostly not obstructed.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=56075171&postcount=368

We loved these "OK" obstructed Oceanview not for their blocked views as it is absolutely understood, just for its natural lights and deck location, and easy access - and for one SIL, to help ease her mobility issues.

I've walked below the lifeboats on the Promenade Deck #7 and checked out almost all of the staterooms along the corridors from the outside, and can pretty much say for sure that none of them have a round porthole, some of them - including the one we had in 2017 - #8570 has 2 smaller oval shape windows, with obstructions.

Info about that stateroom also next to the link above.

Enjoy the Gem - it's the favorite class of ships in the NCL fleet.

Are you sure it's a porthole as confirmed by NCL ??? We're just off the Gem last month, our BIL/SIL were in the oversized #8100, obstructed Oceanview with a large rectangular Oceanview window, it's further back near the AFT elevators & stairs, bottom 1/3 is definitely blocked by the lifeboat but over it, mostly not obstructed.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=56075171&postcount=368

We loved these "OK" obstructed Oceanview not for their blocked views as it is absolutely understood, just for its natural lights and deck location, and easy access - and for one SIL, to help ease her mobility issues.

I've walked below the lifeboats on the Promenade Deck #7 and checked out almost all of the staterooms along the corridors from the outside, and can pretty much say for sure that none of them have a round porthole, some of them - including the one we had in 2017 - #8570 has 2 smaller oval shape windows, with obstructions.

Info about that stateroom also next to the link above.

Enjoy the Gem - it's the favorite class of ships in the NCL fleet.

Yes it says “porthole” on my confirmation.