What would you do? B2B or S2S?

Hello all!

I am a long time follower of these boards, and I have always appreciated the feedback and reviews you all provide.

I'm having a minor dilemma. My family (myself, husband, and 7 year old son) have a cruise booked on the Magic in December 2018 for the Eastern Caribbean. Because I love to look at cruises, and plan cruises, and go on cruises...I happened to notice that the day we get back from our week on the Magic, the Horizon is leaving for a 6 day cruise to the Western Caribbean. I was immediately intrigued because 1) it's a new ship and new class of ships for us and 2) the price seemed right for a new ship. I would LOVE to try a Havana cabin, but since we are traveling with our son, we cannot. So I was looking at an Oceanview cabin with obstructed view in the Family Harbor area. (I have to be budget conscious as a second week of vacation was not in our original plans)

My dilemma comes in that when I just happened to check the price of that room to the price of a Cove balcony on the Magic (same room we have already booked) for the next week to the Western Caribbean...making our original vacation a B2B, the price is only $200 more than the cost of the partially obstructed Oceanview cabin on the Horizon (and 7 days instead of 6 days).

I get really excited when I think about the Horizon, and I think it would be a lot of fun to get to sail on two different ships, and especially the newest one from Carnival. However, I've heard so many great things about B2B's and I have never experienced that either. The ports are pretty much the same for the second week (all Western Caribbean and all ports we have been to before). While we have never sailed on the Magic, we have sailed the Breeze, and I am expecting relatively the same experience.

To do a S2S would mean two totally different jam-packed, exciting experiences while doing a B2B would probably mean a more relaxing experience. And honestly, both sound great to me. I'm a little concerned, however, that my son or husband will get bored on a B2B.

I'm sorry, I know this has rambled a bit. I truly appreciate any and all feedback you have!

B2b and S2s are both good fun for us. There are much more logistics in s2s, however. The turn areound day on s2s takes on more work and some stress. So far, we haven't had any complications, but they can occur. What if the hurricane events delay a ship returning? How do we get from one terminal to the next? How ab carry on wines?

We are getting ready to do our first S3S, beginning this week. The ships are usually docked bow to stern in Miami. GSMs have told us there would be assistance. We will see how this goes. A little nervous, yes.:D

Hate to go against the flow, but I would prefer the B2B:

1. For $200 dollars for three people to upgrade to a (cove) balcony from and obstructed view, with an extra day makes good financial sense;

2. One entire day would be spent packing, getting off one ship, getting luggage, dropping off luggage at new ship, checking in and unpacking. A lot of work and a lot of stress. On a B2B you simply get off and get back on.

I would save the new ship for another vacation.

(Disclaimer - take my advice for what it is worth. I have done neither a B2B or a S2S).

Thank you all so much for your replies. It really does help to hear other opinions! The possible stress of a S2S is one of the reasons I am having trouble deciding. There are a lot of what-ifs, and that extra day of packing, waiting in line again, etc. Just as soon as I think I've made up one way, I start swinging toward the other direction!

Does anyone have any experience on a B2B on the Magic? I know she is a big ship with lots to do, and I'm happy for hours with just a cocktail and a book and a view of the water, but what about for a 7 year old and a husband who get bored easily? Any chance they will run out of things to do? (Beyond trivia...it's just not really our thing.).

We are getting ready to do our first S3S, beginning this week. The ships are usually docked bow to stern in Miami. GSMs have told us there would be assistance. We will see how this goes. A little nervous, yes.:D

Wow, S3S? That sounds amazing! Have you done any S2S's out of Miami? We are a relatively fit family, but sometimes my son likes to pull a "I'm tired" and refuse to walk anymore, especially when there is luggage involved 😆 Is it difficult to get around the port area?

We've done S2S only once, so far, from Miami. It was from a Royal ship, Empress, to a Carnival, Sensation. It was not too far to walk. They were docked close to each other. We did have to pull luggage, but only two smallish pieces. The car remained in the same parking deck.

We've done two S2S in Port Canaveral. Dream to Ecstasy, docked next to each other. A bit further walk and it was hot.

Three times we've driven from Tampa to Port Can and sailed a different ship, same day. Also, Tampa to Jacksonville and FLL to Miami. Just parked at the ports.

We are hearing that a golf cart may be available on change over days, if we need it. We are flying into Miami this trip. Parking costs for 22 days would eat our lunch. ;p

I was only on the magic for 7 days, but we definitely didn't do everything we wanted to do! But we also had a 15 month old with us so that did limit doing some things and we had to often take turns. There is always something going on but it will be the same stuff as the week before, can be nice if there were 2 things at the same time you wanted to do, catch it the next week!

Sent from my XT1650 using Forums mobile app

We did a SbS recently. Got off Allure in Fort Lauderdale, took Uber to Miami for Vista. Didn't experience any stress at all. Two very nice ships ( Vista was only a six day also ). New dinner menus, new shows, new everything. Would do it again. We were in Miami by 10 am.

I've never experienced either, but if I had the opportunity, I'd do the B2B, especially because you'll be traveling with you 7 yr old. I know my son at least would love the familiarity of the ship and the crew (esp in the kids club). Plus, if you can keep your cabin, all the better, less stress!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Hello all!

I am a long time follower of these boards, and I have always appreciated the feedback and reviews you all provide.

I'm having a minor dilemma. My family (myself, husband, and 7 year old son) have a cruise booked on the Magic in December 2018 for the Eastern Caribbean. Because I love to look at cruises, and plan cruises, and go on cruises...I happened to notice that the day we get back from our week on the Magic, the Horizon is leaving for a 6 day cruise to the Western Caribbean. I was immediately intrigued because 1) it's a new ship and new class of ships for us and 2) the price seemed right for a new ship. I would LOVE to try a Havana cabin, but since we are traveling with our son, we cannot. So I was looking at an Oceanview cabin with obstructed view in the Family Harbor area. (I have to be budget conscious as a second week of vacation was not in our original plans)

My dilemma comes in that when I just happened to check the price of that room to the price of a Cove balcony on the Magic (same room we have already booked) for the next week to the Western Caribbean...making our original vacation a B2B, the price is only $200 more than the cost of the partially obstructed Oceanview cabin on the Horizon (and 7 days instead of 6 days).

I get really excited when I think about the Horizon, and I think it would be a lot of fun to get to sail on two different ships, and especially the newest one from Carnival. However, I've heard so many great things about B2B's and I have never experienced that either. The ports are pretty much the same for the second week (all Western Caribbean and all ports we have been to before). While we have never sailed on the Magic, we have sailed the Breeze, and I am expecting relatively the same experience.

To do a S2S would mean two totally different jam-packed, exciting experiences while doing a B2B would probably mean a more relaxing experience. And honestly, both sound great to me. I'm a little concerned, however, that my son or husband will get bored on a B2B.

I'm sorry, I know this has rambled a bit. I truly appreciate any and all feedback you have!

S2S is best but more hectic.

I would pick the S2S. My husband and I have only cruised 7 times, and his goal is to win a ship on a stick from every ship in the fleet! So for us, two ships in one vacation would be a big help!

We've never done two cruises back to back, but I would like to some day. Ideally I would pick a second cruise that leaves a day after the first cruise comes back....disembark, spend a leisurely day in the port city, a night in a hotel, then on to a new ship the next day. Maybe even two embarkation ports, like Miami and Fort Lauderdale, since they're so close.

Whatever you choose, I'm sure you'll have an amazing adventure. Your son is old enough to take it all in stride and have fun with it, no matter what you do. It would be much harder to change ships if he was still a baby or a toddler, with all that equipment they require at those ages!

You all have been so helpful with your responses and I truly appreciate all of them. I talked to my husband and he insists he would not get bored on a B2B (he mostly comes for the food anyway!) So, it's looking more like it will be a B2B for us. I'm so excited to experience this for the first time and get to try different things that we might not get to do on a 7 day cruise!

Hello all!

I have done many B2B cruises, the best one for me which I have done a few times is on the Glory, one week it does the Western and week two it does the Eastern.

For me S2S doesn't make since, I don't want to have to pack and unpack again, plus the crew remembers you.

I love back to back. I am going on my second back to back on Sept.8-21, 2018 on Sunshine out of Port Canaveral. It is so cool when you come back to port and think hey we are still on vacation. We also took a Journey, which was very cool because we didn't come back to port but stayed 14 days out. Which ever one you choose you will have a great time. Have fun.

Hate to go against the flow, but I would prefer the B2B:

1. For $200 dollars for three people to upgrade to a (cove) balcony from and obstructed view, with an extra day makes good financial sense;

2. One entire day would be spent packing, getting off one ship, getting luggage, dropping off luggage at new ship, checking in and unpacking. A lot of work and a lot of stress. On a B2B you simply get off and get back on.

I would save the new ship for another vacation.

(Disclaimer - take my advice for what it is worth. I have done neither a B2B or a S2S).

I agree, I have done both and a B2B is easy, no packing and unpacking and the turn around day has no stress.