Christmas markets or spring/fall cruise?

Kiwifromkiev

Hello fellow cruisers! My DH and I are thinking about doing a river cruise in Europe (most likely the most popular Budapest to Amsterdam route). My question is - for the first cruise (river) would you recommend Christmas time or warmer spring/fall dates? I love Christmas [emoji319] so much! But, I was born and raised in Europe and know how wet and unpleasant December can be - not a picture perfect snow Christmas at all . What would you recommend? Has anybody done Christmas market when the weather was not cold enough for snow - what was your experience? As always, thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We had the same thoughts for our first river cruise in 2017. We also share the same sediments regarding how much we enjoy the holiday season. We also had concerns about the weather. But, never having done a river cruise, the price was great for testing the waters. So, while the cruise did not ooze with holiday atmosphere, the tours and markets were great. We did Budapest to Passau on Uniworld. The weather was not bad, low of 38f to 45f, damp at times, even flurries. We had such a nice time we booked another Christmas cruise on the Rhine. This time with Crystal.

KiwifromKiev,

I know what you mean about the not-so-nice-rainy-too-warm-even-the-glühwein-does-not-work-weather before Christmas. But I would go for it, seeing that you say you love Christmas. The ship will likely be decorated festively - I have seen it (from a distance) and people have reported favourably about the efforts of staff and crew of getting into the Christmas spirit. You say you will likely book the long European tour, if you get the first and second weekend of December into your cruise you could well hit the cold spell that usually happens then and see snow and cold temperatures. If you can have a ride out of the valley in Bavaria up into the hills somewhere you are more than likely to see snow as they usually get the first snow that stays in the hills in November.

And the markets are adorable according to past cruisers. From what I remember past cruisers have rated Budapest markets higher than Amsterdam. If I had the choice I would go A to B rather than B to A, leaving the (my) highlight of the cruise till last.

But spring and autumn are great times for travelling as well. I might prefer early June to September or October but the autumn colours are lovely.

Have fun planning.

notamermaid