Lose Before You Cruise
A place for cruisers to share their stories of how to lose weight before a cruise. Virtual snacks allowed, but only in small quantities.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 07:10 AM.
Clovis, CA
5,479 Posts
Joined Oct 2010
Originally posted by Jpintn
I have had some of the same issues my gallbladder is acting up and seems to be related to the fat in my diet! I have lost over 13 pounds in a little over a month and because of the Keto diet this is the first time in years I have been able to lose. I have no intention of stopping the diet I am just readjusting some of what seems to set it off and yes as soon as we get back from our next two cruises they can take it out!hang in there and try and pay attention to which foods cause you trouble and avoid those as much as you can!!
Mine does this intermittently - occasionally I do have gallbladder issue3s - I take an 800 mg Motrin when I first start feeling any twinges or pain and it seems to go away - I have lost too many POF (pounds of fat) to go back to any other WO (way of eating)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sam and Audrilee Clovis, CA
395 Total Days at Sea
Royal - D+ = Celebrity - Elite

Future Cruises:
May 2018 - Ovation - 9 day - Japan
Oct 2018 - Anthem 9 day - New England/Canada
Oct 2018 - Anthem 5 day - Bahamas

Mar 2019 - Eclipse - 14 day Argentina - Chile- Around the Horn
Mar 2019 - Eclipse - 15 day - Chile - San Diego

Apr 2019 - Summit -7 day - Southern Caribbean
Oct 2019 - Explorer 5 day - Spanish Delight
Oct 2019 - Explorer - 11 days - Sunshine in the Canaries
Nov 2019 - Rhapsody - 14 day - TA Barcelona - Tampa
Mar 2020 - Constellation - 15 days - Dubai - Singapore
Apr 2020 - Millennium - 14 days - Tokyo around Japan
Tennessee
156 Posts
Joined Jan 2016
I need to get myself back in gear. Cruising in a month and I'm up about 5 pounds, from a combination of bad holiday choices and working a lot of hours. Instead of cooking, we've been picking up fast food (yuck). My husband never has a weight problem, but he doesn't need the fast food either! I lost about 25 pounds last year low carb. I've tried keto, but the high fat doesn't always agree with my system! I have had good results with IF and will probably do that a few times before the cruise, usually 16:8 (16 hours of fasting with an 8-hour eating window). I have also managed to stay low carb on cruises and actually LOST 2 pounds on my last cruise (even with the alcohol), probably because we did a ton of walking. The key was resisting the "bread people," who are always pushing the rolls and sweets! I will have a long drive to Fort Lauderdale and plan to stay on plan for the drive. I'm always looking for ideas for nonperishable low-carb foods. I do love macadamia nuts and find them to be very filling. The little individual packs of olives are also handy. I appreciate any other ideas to help me through this next month! I would love to be down the 5 pounds I've gained, and I know that's achievable!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

January 1991, Chandris Fantasy Cruises, SS Britanis, Mexico - escape with husband
June 2004, Carnival Jubilee, Bahamas - great cruise with our sons and my sister/family
March 2015, Ruby Princess, California Coastal
January 2016, Carnival Fascination, Bahamas
January 2017, Caribbean Princess, Eastern Caribbean before the awful hurricanes

March 2018, Regal Princess, Western Caribbean
Tennessee
5 Posts
Joined Feb 2018
So I have been reading all of the threads about staying Keto well on a cruise! I leave in two weeks and feel like I have come to far to quit now! I have lost about 12-13 pounds since January 3. I have 30-35 to go and this is the first diet I have been able to lose on since have omg breast cancer! The medication I take makes it next to impossible to lose weight and the doctors told me that going in 7 years ago. I go back in May and would love to be able to tell them the trick is Keto!! We cruise in 2 weeks on the dream, I feel like this is not a problem with the steak house, and all the other places I should be able to put enough together to stay Keto. My big fear is in April we go for 8 days on the Fantasy and well the dining choices are quite limited. I have not done the fasting in this diet, but have seen some of you talk about it, how do I incorporate fasting into this diet as maybe that would help on the cruise as well. I try to challenge myself all the time and through this whole process the only cheat I have had was 1 little Girl Scout cookie on super bowl Sunday, and their was a lot of food I wanted their, so I feel I have the will power to fast on a cruise and would love to try it. Any advice would be appreciated
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jenny
10/31/2011 Carnival Ecstasy
2/20/2012 Carnival Elation
11/11/2012 Carnival Conquest
2/4/2013 Carnival Elation
6/24/2013 Carnival Elation
7/22/2013 Carnival Elation
10/6/2013 Carnival Conquest
1/20/2014 Carnival Elation
2/17/2014 Carnival Elation
3/22/2014 Carnival Elation
3/27/14 Carnival Elation
4/28/2014 Carnival Elation
8/31/2014 Carnival Dream
10/18/2014 Carnival Elation
3/1/2015 Carnival Pride
4/27/2015 Carnival Elation
8/31/2015 Carnival Elation
11/8/2015 Carnival Dream
3/19/2016 Carnival Elation
4/25/2016 Carnival Triumph
11/14/2016 Carnival Fantasy
11/28/2016 Carnival Fantasy
2/11/2017 Carnival Fantasy
2/16/2917 Carnival Fantasy
3/11/2017 Carnival Magic
9/3/2017 Carnival Fascination
11/13/2017 Carnival Fantasy
Tennessee
5 Posts
Joined Feb 2018
So I am assuming that this diet can irritate the gallbladder, I can handle the pain in exchange for the weight loss!! First time in many years I have lost any weight and not giving up now.
Originally posted by Esahuma
Mine does this intermittently - occasionally I do have gallbladder issue3s - I take an 800 mg Motrin when I first start feeling any twinges or pain and it seems to go away - I have lost too many POF (pounds of fat) to go back to any other WO (way of eating)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jenny
10/31/2011 Carnival Ecstasy
2/20/2012 Carnival Elation
11/11/2012 Carnival Conquest
2/4/2013 Carnival Elation
6/24/2013 Carnival Elation
7/22/2013 Carnival Elation
10/6/2013 Carnival Conquest
1/20/2014 Carnival Elation
2/17/2014 Carnival Elation
3/22/2014 Carnival Elation
3/27/14 Carnival Elation
4/28/2014 Carnival Elation
8/31/2014 Carnival Dream
10/18/2014 Carnival Elation
3/1/2015 Carnival Pride
4/27/2015 Carnival Elation
8/31/2015 Carnival Elation
11/8/2015 Carnival Dream
3/19/2016 Carnival Elation
4/25/2016 Carnival Triumph
11/14/2016 Carnival Fantasy
11/28/2016 Carnival Fantasy
2/11/2017 Carnival Fantasy
2/16/2917 Carnival Fantasy
3/11/2017 Carnival Magic
9/3/2017 Carnival Fascination
11/13/2017 Carnival Fantasy
Tennessee
156 Posts
Joined Jan 2016
As far as intermittent fasting, there are all kinds of options. I do 16:8, which is an 8-hour window to eat with 16 hours of no food. If I have my last meal at around 3-4 p.m., I'm usually not hungry before bedtime and can go until the next morning pretty easily. Some people do 18:6, or even 20:4 I think I did 18:6 one time...not for me. Now this doesn't mean I'm continually eating for 8 hours (although sometimes I'd like to)! I usually have two regular meals and a few snacks. My meals might be a large breakfast around 8:00 with some type of meat and eggs or an omelette, then more of a snack around noon (handful of nuts), followed by another meal around 3-4 p.m., and that's it after (except water). The key is also to plan dinner for my husband ahead of time (he doesn't need to lose weight). I'll usually have something for him that I can just heat up. I'm definitely going to try it a time or two this week and see what happens. I switched completely back to low carb a few days ago and told my husband I don't want any fast food in my house! It's also easier to intermittently fast on low carb because I'm just not as hungry.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

January 1991, Chandris Fantasy Cruises, SS Britanis, Mexico - escape with husband
June 2004, Carnival Jubilee, Bahamas - great cruise with our sons and my sister/family
March 2015, Ruby Princess, California Coastal
January 2016, Carnival Fascination, Bahamas
January 2017, Caribbean Princess, Eastern Caribbean before the awful hurricanes

March 2018, Regal Princess, Western Caribbean
Clovis, CA
5,479 Posts
Joined Oct 2010
We do IF by finishing up our evening meal - last night at 1930 and we are not eating again today until lunch - We leave for an excursion in Vietnam and since there are no bathrooms on the tour buses we don't want to eat in the morning so that would be 18 hours without food - we will eat a small lunch trying what is offered to us on the tour - then eat a small meal and again skip breakfast. Last night I had a very small plate of tomatoes with vinegar - two small lamb chops and scallops! Yes I do drink but I stay with red wine and/or straight spirits as a martini or sprite zero!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
395 Total Days at Sea

Future Cruises:

Clovis, CA
5,479 Posts
Joined Oct 2010
Originally posted by Gina9166
esahuma fasting practice will definitely help you prepare for the future traveling when you can't always eat easily.
Yes it does - especially when flying and then we are served so many carbs - so I just skip it~!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
395 Total Days at Sea

Future Cruises:

2,268 Posts
Joined Aug 2008
Hello all! I am doing keto and will be cruising next week. I don't think I will have much of an issue except for a couple areas.

I am going to make some low carb cookies to take with me if I want a dessert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsrV_I2aU7k&t=143s

The other area is I really like pizza. Has anyone gotten pizza on the ship and just scrape off the toppings and dump the bread? I do realize there will likely be some carbs get mixed in with the toppings, but I will not be perfect I am sure.
Florida
281 Posts
Joined May 2009
Low carb works for me as well as drinking tons of water ( which I have to force myself to do )
I did want to say that one of my fav desserts is the cheese plate. I do like the WCMC but that cheese plate is just divine.. 😋☺️
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

y
capecod ma
462 Posts
Joined Feb 2008
yes I have been known to take a couple of slices of pizza and just eat the topping it fulfills my cravings and I do not feel guilty lol
2,268 Posts
Joined Aug 2008
Originally posted by kellbellscruise
Low carb works for me as well as drinking tons of water ( which I have to force myself to do )
I did want to say that one of my fav desserts is the cheese plate. I do like the WCMC but that cheese plate is just divine.. 😋☺️
I too like the cheese plates. BTW Royals is much better than Carnival's. The problem is what to spread the cheese on. I think I have that covered by bringing along the whisps. Some days we don't have dinner and will just go to the windjammer and grab brie and bread. (Of course this time I will use the whisps instead of bread.)
Thanks!
2,268 Posts
Joined Aug 2008
Originally posted by kacurl
yes I have been known to take a couple of slices of pizza and just eat the topping it fulfills my cravings and I do not feel guilty lol
I normally would make a low carb pizza if I wanted one, but not an option on the cruise.

I have heard of people just eating the toppings. I guess that will be my plan.
Thanks for your comments.
Clovis, CA
5,479 Posts
Joined Oct 2010
Finally back from our 28-day adventure that included - Singapore - Thailand - 3 stops in Malaysia - Boracay - Manilla - 2 days Hong Kong - Vietnam - all on 14 days on Celebrity Constellation and 5 days Mariner - with 5 days pre-cruise in Singapore! LOVED IT ALL

BUT very hard to stay LCHF and KETO off the ship as we had a few meals included with our tours that Asian foods are not friendly to our WOE- but once back on ship, we managed!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
395 Total Days at Sea

Future Cruises:

MI
218 Posts
Joined Apr 2004
As someone who is doing keto and a cruiser I am happy to find this forum. Been on keto since Jan 8, have lost 36 lbs. I've found this about the easiest diet I've done (and I've done just every other diet out there). I haven't had any bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, sweets, fruit or alcohol in 8 weeks. Haven't had any cravings or have need to cheat. I am at my goal. Now what?

My question is what to eat on a cruise? I have one coming up in April. I've been eating a lot of eggs and meat. How does that translate to cruise food? I suppose I could just go to the buffets and only eat the high fat stuff. My wife and I like to eat in the MDR so I suppose I could just order the entre' and veggies. I am open to suggestions.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NCL Sunward II-4 night Bahamas 79
NCL Sunward II-3 Bahamas 89
RCL Empress-3 Bahamas 94
RCL Majesty-7 West Carib-99
RCL Explorer -7 East Carib-2001
CCL Glory -7 West Exotic Carib-04
CCL Triumph -7 West Carib-06
NCL Pride of America- 7 Hawaii May 09 *
X Reflection-7 East Carib Mar 13
RCI Freedom-7 West Carib 7 Dec 14
X Constellation-5 West Carib 2 Feb 15
RCI Explorer 9-South Carib 12 Feb 15
X Equinox 11-W.Carib/Mardi Gras Feb 17
RCI Oasis 7-W.Carib Dec 17 *
NCL Pride of America 7- Hawaii Apr 18
RCI Freedom 7-Southern Carib Feb 19

* published CC reviews
Clovis, CA
5,479 Posts
Joined Oct 2010
Originally posted by mac66
As someone who is doing keto and a cruiser I am happy to find this forum. Been on keto since Jan 8, have lost 36 lbs. I've found this about the easiest diet I've done (and I've done just every other diet out there). I haven't had any bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, sweets, fruit or alcohol in 8 weeks. Haven't had any cravings or have need to cheat. I am at my goal. Now what?

My question is what to eat on a cruise? I have one coming up in April. I've been eating a lot of eggs and meat. How does that translate to cruise food? I suppose I could just go to the buffets and only eat the high fat stuff. My wife and I like to eat in the MDR so I suppose I could just order the entre' and veggies. I am open to suggestions.
Congratulations on losing the POF (pounds of fat) and finding what works for you~ I love Keto LCHF (low carb high fat) -

I have found that we also do IF (intermittent fasting) most mornings on a cruise we do not eat breakfast and if we do it is only eggs - bacon - ham - sausage. Usually, skip lunch if not - cheese - meats - salads

We do eat in the MDR I order the most KETO friendly appetizer - caesar salad without croutons and add anchovies - and the main entry that has the meat that I like - I don't do desserts unless they can bring me assorted berries and HWC (heavy whipping cream) Still do not eat bread - rice - potatoes or any vegetable that grows under the ground
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
395 Total Days at Sea

Future Cruises:

MI
218 Posts
Joined Apr 2004
Originally posted by Esahuma
Congratulations on losing the POF (pounds of fat) and finding what works for you~ I love Keto LCHF (low carb high fat) -

I have found that we also do IF (intermittent fasting) most mornings on a cruise we do not eat breakfast and if we do it is only eggs - bacon - ham - sausage. Usually, skip lunch if not - cheese - meats - salads

We do eat in the MDR I order the most KETO friendly appetizer - caesar salad without croutons and add anchovies - and the main entry that has the meat that I like - I don't do desserts unless they can bring me assorted berries and HWC (heavy whipping cream) Still do not eat bread - rice - potatoes or any vegetable that grows under the ground
Thanks for the encouragement.

I've been doing really well with intermittent fasting, I was doing a couple 18/6s and a 24 hour a week. Not so much to push it but because after awhile I just wasn't hungry in the morning. Cup of coffee and I was good to go till noon.

After awhile however I found I wasn't getting enough calories and was getting dizzy when standing up and/or working out. I went back to eating b'fast and that helped and I am still losing weight.

I am to a point now where I have to find the balance to maintain my weight where I am.

-like you I've been pretty strict not eating any bread, rice, potatoes or below ground veggies. haven't had any or even tempted to have any in 8 weeks.

Someone mentioned ordering a cheese plate as a desert or snack.

One thing about cruising is that they don't skimp on fatty foods. Should be easy to find replacements for the carbs.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
RCL Empress-3 Bahamas 94

* published CC reviews
Clovis, CA
5,479 Posts
Joined Oct 2010
Thanks for the encouragement.

I've been doing really well with intermittent fasting, I was doing a couple 18/6s and a 24 hour a week. Not so much to push it but because after awhile I just wasn't hungry in the morning. Cup of coffee and I was good to go till noon.

After awhile however I found I wasn't getting enough calories and was getting dizzy when standing up and/or working out. I went back to eating b'fast and that helped and I am still losing weight.

I am to a point now where I have to find the balance to maintain my weight where I am.

-like you I've been pretty strict not eating any bread, rice, potatoes or below ground veggies. haven't had any or even tempted to have any in 8 weeks.

Someone mentioned ordering a cheese plate as a desert or snack.

One thing about cruising is that they don't skimp on fatty foods. Should be easy to find replacements for the carbs.
I do find if we eat breakfast it is only eggs - bacon (plenty of bacon) and maybe full fat sausage!

Also, I do butter alone instead of bread! Helps to get my fats intake up!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
395 Total Days at Sea

Future Cruises:

MI
218 Posts
Joined Apr 2004
Those of you who do LCHF do you count your calories or just carbs, fat and protein? I struggle with this.

Second related question.. I've actually been averaging under a 1000 calories a day for the last 10 weeks and I exercise 5 days a week. Obviously one is going to lose weight that way. Now that I've reached my desired weight I am struggling to eat enough calories/fat to stabilize my weight. I don't want to lose any more weight but I'm afraid if I eat more I will gain. Not sure how to approach that? How many calories can you eat and not gain weight if you keep your carbs below 20 gr/day?

I plan on staying LC from now on.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
RCL Empress-3 Bahamas 94

* published CC reviews
Clovis, CA
5,479 Posts
Joined Oct 2010
Those of you who do LCHF do you count your calories or just carbs, fat and protein? I struggle with this.

Second related question.. I've actually been averaging under a 1000 calories a day for the last 10 weeks and I exercise 5 days a week. Obviously one is going to lose weight that way. Now that I've reached my desired weight I am struggling to eat enough calories/fat to stabilize my weight. I don't want to lose any more weight but I'm afraid if I eat more I will gain. Not sure how to approach that? How many calories can you eat and not gain weight if you keep your carbs below 20 gr/day?

I plan on staying LC from now on.
From what I have read - researched and learned on my own - if you are doing LCHF or Keto it doesn't matter (at least in my case) how many calories - it is either one or the other and I count macros and carbs - Most days I only do OMAD (one meal aa day) and keep my carbs below 5% - fat 75% and protein 20% (or less) I like to stay way under 10 carbs per day
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
395 Total Days at Sea

Future Cruises: