The shoe's on the other foot. I'm on a charter vs cancelled cruise

papa B me

Last year I booked a cruise for 2019 on another premium cruise line. It was way in advance but it was cancelled as the ship was chartered for the week I had scheduled. I have read a number of threads on different boards about the practice of booking then cancelling booking when a ship was chartered. I have complained with others as I have had to start over in deciding what to do for the trip cancelled.

However I now find the shoe is on the other foot. A couple of weeks ago I received an invitation from one of my business vendors for an all expense cruise on Silversea Whisper in August. Silversea has been on my radar for future cruises as a number of people who've I've communicated with on the River Cruise Board sails with them. So obviously I decided I can't refuse an all expense cruise with them. So I cancelled by trip to Spain scheduled for September on Azamara(I own my own business and can't take two back to back trips of this size), and began the planning process for this cruise which leaves from Venice and goes to Split, Dubrovnik, and Montenegro. I've already booked 3 nights pre cruise in Rome and then will take a train the day of sailing to Venice.

So I find myself conflicted in asking for help on a Charter cruise since I imagine there are people here whose cruise may have been cancelled to make way for this Charter. So if that's you, I'm truly sorry.

I am going through a bunch of threads here to learn more about butler service, restaurants, shore excursions, etc... But I do wonder if there is anyone who has experienced a chartered trip on Silversea. If so, on the Charter do they radically change how they do things or am I getting a good representation of what to expect by reading these threads?

Any other thoughts or comments about being on a Charter with Silversea would be greatly appreciated.

began the planning process for this cruise which leaves from Venice and goes to Split, Dubrovnik, and Montenegro. I've already booked 3 nights pre cruise in Rome and then will take a train the day of sailing to Venice. Any other thoughts or comments about being on a Charter with Silversea would be greatly appreciated.

We have done five sailings with Silversea, but I cannot speak to any differences and details for a regular SS sailing versus being on a Charter cruise. My guess is that BOTH will be high enjoyable. What's nice about your charter? Sounds like you will be a guest and someone else is picking up the cost.

Below are some links, pictures and ideas for Dubrovnik, Kotor and Venice to help in your planning and for considering your many great options.

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at this link. Have had over 40,304 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and dropped by.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

Wonderful Kotor and nearby Montenegro? Check these postings. Have had over 40,192 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and commented.:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439193

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Venice: Loving It & Why??!! Is one of your future desires or past favorites? See these many visual samples for its great history and architecture. This posting is now at 71,175 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

Our first ever (SS or otherwise) cruise was ‘mostly chartered’ with a large alumni group (about 250 passengers) and our smaller group of 24. As far as I can judge from subsequent cruises, about the only difference were a couple of group exclusive activities for the University group, and one for ours. But there were still enrichment lectures, etc., and the two groups mingled quite nicely.

Based on that, I’d say the information you’ve gleaned from this board would be mostly representative of what you should experience.

Enjoy your free cruise! (We sure did)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you so much for the responses. I'm really looking forward to experiencing Silversea and visiting a part of the world I haven't been to. I usually plan a trip for 18-24 months in advance. So its really different planning it 4 months in advance. So the help is greatly appreciated.

We were on the 2014 World War II cruise chartered by the National World War II museum in New Orleans. It was not an award cruise, but a fairly expensive cruise due to the number of historians and honored vets on board. Our experience is probably not typical of most charters which seem to feature a lot of partying. We had no evening entertainment other than lectures and our days were filled with wonderful adventures planned by the museum. We were able to get credit for our days and also received free laundry which was not in the original plan, but since a passenger with over 2000 days was on board, we were accorded the same privileges.