Your Favourite Oceanview Room on the Rotterdam?

trixiee

We were on the Rotterdam for the first time last spring and had a "lanai" cabin. (As you probably know, the only verandas available on the Rotterdam are suites and we didn't want to spend that much more.) I was actually pretty dubious when our travel agent suggested it, but I ended up enjoying it a lot. Of course, you can't look right out at the ocean from your cabin--but you can see what kind of day it is. And I liked being able to step right out unto the promenade.

Towards the back on the lower decks with easy access to the quite wonderful open back decks with loungers and premium view of the ship's wake. Extra closet space in those lower deck cabins too. Shhhhhhhhhhh...........

• 1 month later...
Towards the back on the lower decks with easy access to the quite wonderful open back decks with loungers and premium view of the ship's wake. Extra closet space in those lower deck cabins too. Shhhhhhhhhhh...........

Good to read this...We're on the Dolphin deck in the very aft! Was hoping for a Lanai cabin a few decks up, but our sailing is sold out!

Good to read this...We're on the Dolphin deck in the very aft! Was hoping for a Lanai cabin a few decks up, but our sailing is sold out!

I'm looking at those too... Are there any pics of that area on the Rotterdam?

I prefer the cabins furthest forward that have windows (as opposed to portholes). Currently they are category EE (but that can change), 1816-1821. If possible I prefer to be on the port side. I like being able to look out the window and see activity on the port, though we do have to remember to pull at least the sheers overnight because sometimes we forget and the dockworkers/people on the dock can see into the rooms.

A note on possible cons for my preferred location: Many people will complain about these cabins because of the anchor or thruster noises, but I really enjoy those noises. I have noticed some loud banging as the waves hit the side of the ship when the seas are particularly rough, but that has never really bothered me. As far as motion, you can feel motion if the seas are rough, but it's much less than higher up on the ship. If the seas are smooth, I have had to look out the window to be sure the ship was moving.

I organized a cabin crawl on the Rotterdam, and on deck 2 near the back, the host pointed out her balcony. Just go out the door at the end of the hallway, and there's a huge balcony. If I remember correctly, she was in the handicapped room in the corner.

We were on the Rotterdam for the first time last spring and had a "lanai" cabin. (As you probably know, the only verandas available on the Rotterdam are suites and we didn't want to spend that much more.) I was actually pretty dubious when our travel agent suggested it, but I ended up enjoying it a lot. Of course, you can't look right out at the ocean from your cabin--but you can see what kind of day it is. And I liked being able to step right out unto the promenade.
On our Voyage of the Vikings in 2016, we found the Lanai cost almost as much as the Vista Suites. Having organized the cabin crawl, we were glad we picked the Vista. Also, the Vista brings double mariner points.