Bike Trail- Caves? Beach?

tara3575

A group of us (Fairly active) are considering renting bikes on our own and enjoying the Bike Trail for a day. My questions are:

We are in Bermuda for 3 days... Would you get the 3 day ferry pass to get around?

Would you take the Ferry to Hamilton and rent bikes there and head toward St. George’s? Are we missing a lot by not leaving from outside the Dockyard?

What is the easiest beach to pull up to on bikes and enjoy a break?

Can we safely get to the caves to do that for a bit?

Any other sightseeing stops you recommend that we should plan on making that may be a little off the bike trail?

TIA

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There is a recent thread on biking the Rail Trail which you should read. Here is the link - https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2635862

For the Transportation Pass, how many times will you be boarding a bus and ferry? (in other words, what are your plans?)

I would not start the bike ride in Hamilton and ride to the caves. Take a look at the map in the linked thread.

I would suggest doing the western portion of the trail. If you want to visit a beach, you could go to most any of the South Shore beaches but it will require leaving the trail.

SBtS

For the Transportation Pass, how many times will you be boarding a bus and ferry? (in other words, what are your plans?)

I have posted a number of times about three day passes not being available for sale at the Dockyard, only one and two day passes and tokens. I realize that people can't tell that from reading the Bermuda tourist info so it is understandable that they think since they will be there three days, get a three day pass. I guess it's not necessary to post that info as they will find that when they ask to purchase them at the Dockyard....

Edited by Charles4515

A group of us (Fairly active) are considering renting bikes on our own and enjoying the Bike Trail for a day. My questions are:

We are in Bermuda for 3 days... Would you get the 3 day ferry pass to get around?

Would you take the Ferry to Hamilton and rent bikes there and head toward St. George’s? Are we missing a lot by not leaving from outside the Dockyard?

What is the easiest beach to pull up to on bikes and enjoy a break?

Can we safely get to the caves to do that for a bit?

Any other sightseeing stops you recommend that we should plan on making that may be a little off the bike trail?

TIA

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Why would you purchase passes if you are going to bike around a day? What are your plans for the other days. Single rides on the ferry are $4.50 for a token or $5 cash. You can only purchase one or two day passes or tokens at the Dockyard. Since the third day for most people is not as ambitious for most cruise passengers because it is departure day, and some cruise lines like NCL leave at 3:30 the three day pass was overkill anyway for most cruise passengers.

Your bike riding plans off the trail are pretty ambitious. I would not call Bermuda roads pedal bike friendly. There are no bike lanes. There are barely any shoulders or sidewalks. Nothing like any signs like we have on my local rioads that says pedal bikes have the right to the whole lane when there is no bike lane. You don't see any indication of a big local pedal bike culture. About the only place I would pedal around on roads is St. George's because the traffic there is not congested.

Edited by Charles4515