Cruising Snobbery

e3g

really....who cares about these events?

Are people that desperate to get a free glass of really cheap plonk, are their egos that small or their aspirations such that they need have a need to be in a group with a ship's officer and be recognized for being an 'important' repeat customer of some sort.

I would much prefer something more tangible like a discount on my next cruise or an upgrade. My customer loyalty can be bought...but it will take a little more than a glass of $3. Wine to get me in the mood to place another order without shopping the deal.

+10

I don't know that I'd call it "cruising snobbery" but it seems a lot of people want to seem more important or in the know than others. Especially others they will never see again. I remember one man at our MDR table, no matter what you said, he could top it. If you said you'd played golf with the Pope, he'd say he'd played with God. It got to be pretty funny.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Oh yeah we've known people like that too. We've called them the "better, quicker, stronger, faster, etc" people. No matter what you said they could always do it (fill in the blank with verbs)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Really....who cares about these events?

Are people that desperate to get a free glass of really cheap plonk, are their egos that small or their aspirations such that they need have a need to be in a group with a ship's officer and be recognized for being an 'important' repeat customer of some sort.

I would much prefer something more tangible like a discount on my next cruise or an upgrade. My customer loyalty can be bought...but it will take a little more than a glass of $3. wine to get me in the mood to place another order without shopping the deal.

This.

Was it Groucho Marx who said he wouldn’t want to be a member of a club who would have him as a member? :)

A bit of an exaggeration maybe? The ONLY city in America with a population over 5 million IS New York City at 8.6 million. That is a far cry from saying that is the AVERAGE size is 5 million.

Los Angeles is just over 4 million ... dang close in these terms.

The Miami metropolitan area, which includes Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties, had a combined population of more than 5.5 million people, ranked seventh largest in the United States.

There are, however, at least 9 US metropolitan areas with over 5 million population. As such and especially since most discussions of US population figures are based on metropolitan areas (ergo the SMSA nomenclature), I say we give CruiseGal999 some leeway ... unless that would be forbidden by the First Amendment to the US Constitution, a topic on which you provided insights in another Thread ...

Yes, THIS is more appropriately what I was trying to say ... but I said 'cities'. Thank you for the correction and clarification.

This thread is closed.

Please read this which appears in our posting guidelines and be guided accordingly.

Disruption of our Community

The harassment of our members is not allowed.

Cruise Critic is committed to providing an online environment that is free from these types of harassing postings. Please, don't attack another poster or group of posters. Do not harass, threaten, embarrass, or do anything else to another member that is unwanted. This means: don't say bad things about them, don't keep sending them unwanted Instant Message notes, don't attack their race, heritage, or their sexual orientation, etc. If you disagree with someone, respond to the subject, not the person. Postings of this nature will be removed from the boards.

Do not post details or private information about any other person. Do not attempt to impersonate another person, either real or virtual.

Postings that have been placed on the boards to disrupt the flow of conversation or otherwise disrupt Cruise Critic members' enjoyment of the Community will be removed and you run the risk of losing your posting privileges. This would include, but is not limited to, the posting of essentially the same message over and over in response to different threads on the forums or utilizing the features of our Community to transmit messages of a personal nature.

Also disrupting to the Community is Thread hijacking which is the act of trying to steer a web forum discussion thread off topic by discussing a subject entirely unrelated to the original topic. This would also include making references to the original poster, or even to OTHER posters, that have nothing to do with the subject at hand.

Creating a disturbance during a "Live from......" Thread is also not allowed. We're grateful for members who take the time to post on their vacation, plus spending $$ to do so, to share with us stuck at home. If you disrupt a "Live From...." thread you will find your posting privileges suspended.

We realize that in some instances, this happens naturally. However, it does appear to be intentional by certain members. Please be considerate of your fellow members; posting off topic within a discussion -- 'hijacking' -- is boring and only wastes everyone's time. Think twice and, for some of you, even three times before posting off topic in an existing discussion: not "thinking" may result in loss of your posting privileges on Cruise Critic.