Cruising Snobbery

e3g

If you want to shut people down, all you have to say is that, "Our company designs, markets and sells custom imprinted urinal cakes. I'm the 7th generation in the family business."

You can also mention that you are in life insurance sales.

Both of those should work.

If you go with the former, you can shut down suite conversations by talking about how disappointing it is that the PS has a bidet but no urinal.

I love to say we are from just south of Detroit. And when asked for more details I say "Canada". Really cool to see the glazed look in peoples' eyes while they try to process that info. :D

Ahh, Windsor. I have some very fond memories of that place. :)

1- Ditmar, I'm jealous of your country's health care system. Ours is awful. Health care should be a right, not a privilege.

2- As for snobbery, I find cruising to be extremely affordable, even for us poor folks. (I'm on a teacher's salary.) The fee includes a week's lodging, all you can eat 3 meals a day and tons of entertainment (both on your own like the pools, but also on stage). The only thing that boots a cruise's expense is the airfare.

3- How do I block certain posters on this board, like someone who feels a need to preach about his fit and healthy lifestyle on a cruise board, as if any of us care?

For your question #3, you want to put the poster on "ignore". That way you don't see their posts unless someone quotes them.

to put a poster on ignore, go to your usercp (User Control Panel) - right hand side at the top where your name is, there is an arrow, click then and you will see the ignore option on the left hand screen about 1/2 way down.

Hope this helps :)

To learn these skills though means having to examine whether an attitude or thought that you held as true could actually be false. Perhaps the thoughts that you have around what constitutes polite conversation need to change? This doesn't mean that you need to refrain from idle chit-chat or polite conversation, or as another has put it, bend over backwards to avoid a topic, but simply accept that others may find a certain topic uncomfortable or offensive and it is best that I refrain from it until I get to know them better.

Also culture can differ. For instance: In Denmark it is not considered polite to ask anyone about their religion. Or even assume that they have one.

1- Ditmar, I'm jealous of your country's health care system. Ours is awful. Health care should be a right, not a privilege.

2- As for snobbery, I find cruising to be extremely affordable, even for us poor folks. (I'm on a teacher's salary.) The fee includes a week's lodging, all you can eat 3 meals a day and tons of entertainment (both on your own like the pools, but also on stage). The only thing that boots a cruise's expense is the airfare.

3- How do I block certain posters on this board, like someone who feels a need to preach about his fit and healthy lifestyle on a cruise board, as if any of us care?

That everyone should be able to access decent healthcare is a reasonable concept.

That said, as regards it being a "right" in the US, you may want to reread the US Constitution where, basically, the only things protected as "rights" involve commerce and defense.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That everyone should be able to access decent healthcare is a reasonable concept.

That said, as regards it being a "right" in the US, you may want to reread the US Constitution where, basically, the only things protected as "rights" involve commerce and defense.

Actually you’re wrong here it specifically says to provide for the welfare of its people and when you look up the word welfare in any dictionary the very first word is health and safety. Don’t take my word for it Google it

Actually you’re wrong here it specifically says to provide for the welfare of its people and when you look up the word welfare in any dictionary the very first word is health and safety. Don’t take my word for it Google it

I assume you were not a history major in college.

You need to look at the context of "general welfare" in light of the time the Constitution was written.

This may help you better understand:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/ajbulava.wordpress.com/2011/08/13/original-meaning-of-the-general-welfare/amp/

Again, providing for things like healthcare and public education are nice goals and there's even legislation in some states and within the federal government that have created related requirements to provide for them.

However, the US constitution (as originally written and intended) has nothing to do with healthcare being a "right."

I assume you were not a history major in college.

You need to look at the context of "general welfare" in light of the time the Constitution was written.

This may help you better understand:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/ajbulava.wordpress.com/2011/08/13/original-meaning-of-the-general-welfare/amp/

Again, providing for things like healthcare and public education are nice goals and there's even legislation in some states and within the federal government that have created related requirements to provide for them.

However, the US constitution (as originally written and intended) has nothing to do with healthcare being a "right."

No I was a history minor not a major. That’s one person‘s interpretation of the general welfare clause I can provide you with links that counter that all day long but suffice it to say it’s definitely open to interpretation just like the Bible. I think I’ve made my point that your blanket statement is not so black-and-white however

I cannot speak for anyone but myself, and I HAVE to say I have received incredible health care and am so grateful for tha t. I live near two of fhe finest hospitals in our country and some would say among the best in the world . I have been treated in both. When I left ICU in both, I had no bill owed by me Sooo, please be sure you know of what you speak when you are criftical of o other than your own .

A sign hangs in al lt he Emergency rooms I have been in either with someone el se o r as patientr myself and there hangs a sign stating no one will be turned away form emergency c are because of their inability to pay.

Edited by sail7seas

This has somehow morphed into a huge political and social services debate. The only connection to cruising is that it has "traveled" far off course.

Getting back to asking what one does for a living, a guy once told me he "managed the family estate." As impressive as that sounds, all it might mean is that he pays the monthly rent and grocery bill. I've used that response a few times myself, but I always clarify it because it sounds so pompous. But I would guess that in one way or another we all manage our "family estates."

If you ever drive I-95 east through Connecticut, take Exit 59 in Guilford, turn left onto the Post Road (US 1), go about two miles east and, just as you cross into Madison you will see the Red Tomato on your left. Since Pepe's on Wooster in New Haven started coasting on reputation, this is THE place for traditional New Haven - which means no mozzarella unless asked for as just another topping. Try their traditional -perhaps topped just with spinach and bacon - on a crust that makes the angels sing - you will want to find your way back.

I’m going to save this information...thanks. Next time we drive thru CT, we will sto. The pizza sounds divine. BTW, your post has salvaged this otherwise boring thread. Thank you for that, too! [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m going to save this information...thanks. Next time we drive thru CT, we will sto. The pizza sounds divine. BTW, your post has salvaged this otherwise boring thread. Thank you for that, too! [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You won't regret the stop.

P.S. Just noticed your cruise history - I have been on Noordam just before you a couple of times - New York to the Caribbean late January 2007 and again 2008. I wish they would bring that itinerary back.

One thing I have learned on this very long and complicated thread. Don't ever ask someone on a cruise what they do for a living. I don't think I or DH have ever done that, but it is good to know that some people find it offensive. Others can ask me or DH, we don't really mind, as we are retired anyway. But I can understand that a doctor, dentist, lawyer, tax professional, or judge, or a few other occupations may not like that question because of where the conversation may lead. I will make sure I never ask, unless the information is offered. Religion and Politics are definitely not mentioned by us. Now, asking where someone is from, or where they have traveled I feel are pretty vanilla questions provided a person never criticizes the response.........like mocking someone's accent or lack thereof, for example. I like talking to others on a cruise or tour when the situation presents itself and learning some very valuable travel information in the bargain. But evidently occupation is a touchy subject and I will make sure I never go there!! It is a good thought for everyone to keep under their cap when traveling!!

That's certainly the case in the U S as well.

I would never ask someone I was just meeting if they practice a religiion and if they said yes, I would never ask which? AND if anyONE ASKED ME, that might be the last thing they said to me as I would find it quite rude and none of their business. JMO>

I don't ask such qusttions.

I

We cruise with friends, sometimes a large group, sometimes smaller. I don't think any of us has ever asked what any of the others does or did for a living. It's not really a conversation starter after all and not relevant to anything. A conversation could probably stop dead on most of the answers. And it is not a question I have ever asked anyone else in a social setting.

So much for personal responsibility yay free lunch!

Our right to not have medical care comes the day after the Emergency Room. And all thereafter.

Gentle persons: healthcare isn't an appropriate subject for this forum. I suggest you take this discussion elsewhere.

Gentle persons: healthcare isn't an appropriate subject for this forum. I suggest you take this discussion elsewhere.

Lol why are you quoting me responding someone else talking about healthcare I never brought healthcare up?

Lol why are you quoting me responding someone else talking about healthcare I never brought healthcare up?

You argued 5 or 6 times a day with people on your cruise and now you’re arguing everyone on this thread.

Hello! McFly!

Everyone else is not the problem.