Gluten free snacks

Gatordad815

We will be on a cruise stopping in Cozumel with my 5 year old daughter who has celiac disease and must have a strict gluten free diet. I was under the impression (from my research here) that if we want to bring factory packaged gluten free snacks on the island for her, we would be permitted to do so. But I am concerned that may not be the case, as on another question I posted on the Royal Caribbean forum, a poster relayed the following experience:

"You can NOT take any food pre-packaged or not onto the island. They have dogs at the gate sniffing all bags..... I eat Gluten free as well & took an **unopened** bag of GF crackers with me in my bag in case I got hungry & wasn't able to find anything GF to eat while on the island.... guess what? That little doggie found it!"

Can anyone with recent experience confirm the rules? Alternatively, can anyone recommend a place in port to buy safe gluten free snacks or lunch for her? Thank you.

I'm gluten free and I think its fairly easy in Mexico because you can get corn tortillas. So you can have guacamole or pico de gio with chips (fried corn tortilla) . Tons of fruit and juices as well. An easy go to for kids is quesadillas but just be sure that they use corn tortilla ( tortilla de mais)

I see on your other thread Kletina has already answered and they live there so probably has local knowledge.

I would suggest you try and take off the snacks you are comfortable with and if you don't speak Spanish carry one of the gluten free restaurant cards translated into Spanish to show.

This link may offer some practical suggestions, (although a few years old) for names of places and foods. From International you would certainly need to take a taxi to Mega or Chedraui for greater choice of snacks to purchase.

http://glutenfreediscoveries.blogspot.com/2010/05/cozumel-mexico-gluten-free.html

I don't know what activities you gave planned or where you plan to go but perhaps the easiest, if you just want a beach day and you are arriving at International, would be to walk 5-10 minutes to the left after you exit port and get a day pass to Park Royal (11am-6pm). Nice pools, small beach, children's pool and club - Google for more info. That way, if all else fails you can easily get back to the ship for lunch although I would think you should be able to find something at Park Royal just as easily as the ship, from their indoor lunch time buffet. If you carry the restaurant card you can show it there for help as well.

• 1 month later...

I always bring EnjoyLife chewy bars. They are free from the top eight allergens and are really yummy. Should not be a problem bringing off the ship.

Also be careful as some corn tortillas are still coated with wheat flour. To be safe, I will be returning to my ship for lunch.