Any insight into exact type of extension cord Carnival will not confiscate???

S&S Cruisers 1983

I have searched and searched this, so thought I would just ask. After research for our Carnival cruise last year, I took a brand new, still in the package, 8 ft, UL Listed, non-surge protected, regular household 3 outlet, 2 conductor extension cord, and it was confiscated at the port.

Now we have another cruise booked. I emailed Carnival's special needs department and asked them if I could get a cord sent to our cabin. They said yes, for a $25 refundable deposit, but there are no guarantees they will have one to borrow depending on the demand. They also said "You may bring the extension cord. It will need to be in good working condition, and need to have the label, U/L Listed and will be subject to safety inspection at the pier." I emailed them back with my prior info of the confiscation and asked for specific info on what to bring, but never heard back.

So, my question is, what am I missing? Do I need to get a grounded one? Marine grade, with a 1 inch thick cord? LOL! Any ideas would be appreciated!

I have searched and searched this, so thought I would just ask. After research for our Carnival cruise last year, I took a brand new, still in the package, 8 ft, UL Listed, non-surge protected, regular household 3 outlet, 2 conductor extension cord, and it was confiscated at the port.

Now we have another cruise booked. I emailed Carnival's special needs department and asked them if I could get a cord sent to our cabin. They said yes, for a $25 refundable deposit, but there are no guarantees they will have one to borrow depending on the demand. They also said "You may bring the extension cord. It will need to be in good working condition, and need to have the label, U/L Listed and will be subject to safety inspection at the pier." I emailed them back with my prior info of the confiscation and asked for specific info on what to bring, but never heard back.

So, my question is, what am I missing? Do I need to get a grounded one? Marine grade, with a 1 inch thick cord? LOL! Any ideas would be appreciated!

That extension cord did not have been confiscated.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Sounds like Carnival did a no-no!

Besides the one we Always take being 4ft long w/6 outlets, ours are Exactly alike yours. Never had one confiscated. Idk if having it in carry-on makes any difference, it shouldn't because yours was in complete compliance with Carnival's website specs stating *you may bring an extension cord, none surge protector.*

Sent from my XT1585 using Forums mobile app

Was the cord in your checked luggage or your carry-on? I always bring a power strip (without surge protector) my carry-on bag and have never had a problem. I would suggest that you pack the extension cord in your carry-on, and bring along a printed copy of the information that states what Carnival allows. You'll find that info. in the F.A.Q. section on Carnival's home page. That should alleviate any problems.

I totally agree with beachbum53 on this one...

Bring the cord in your carry-on, along with a printed copy of Carnival's rules.

I had a 6-outlet power strip (without surge suppressor) confiscated a few years ago, and since then have started carrying my power strip in my carry on so that if they tried to confiscate it, I would be there to argue about how it fully complied with the rules. Have never had to argue the point, as they have never confiscated it since I started bringing it in my carry on.

I think the folks that do the security searches at the passenger check-in are focused on very different priorities than the folks that do the searches of the checked bags. It seems to me that the folks that do the searches at the passenger check-in are focused primarily on looking for weapons. They don't seem to care about electronics and cords and such.

I have a regular brown household extension cord that stays in my CPU carry case. No one has ever even looked in there before I board.

I second getting a plain 3-4 head extension cord at the $1 store. Then pack it in our carry-on, in case we need to defend our choice. This is what we have done our last 10 cruises across different lines and have had no problems not even as much as a raised eyebrow.

an extension cord is not a surge protector or anything to do with a surge protector, there is no way an extension cord was confiscated for any reason

Yes, I know the difference, I only put in that it was not surge protected because I was sure that someone would ask if it was. It was a plain extension cord that was confiscated. I even kept a picture of it with the tag that was put on it by Carnival. I went to get it only to ask why they took it. I was told because it was against policy. There were a lot of the same kind in the room. The picture is attached below.

99432489_20171018_085008(1).jpg.8e201b22b18d0d00e20eac9443f7e6a5.jpg