How many specialty restaurants should we try on NCL Gem??

annabug

My recent experience with Teppanyaki on the Gem, will mitigate against experiencing it again, unless we decide to dine at the first available seating. Firstly, the chefs, food , etc. were all terrific. It was the noise that was the most disturbing if you happened to be initially seated while the two other tables were being feted. Try as you might, you could not carry on a casual conversation with the exciting commotion that was necessarily only a few feet away. Closed, small room....not conducive to "teppanyaki" style dining, in spite of how well every part of it was accomplished when it was your turn.

LeBistro tends to be fancier, with many men wearing a jacket (but with khakis and polo shirts - country club attire I guess you would call it.) The menu is also more formal, which may or may not fly well if you have younger children. I enjoyed it - the ambiance and service are, I think, perfect for something a little special on a cruise where everything else caters to the masses. I'm afraid I won't be of much help to you because I enjoyed them all. Cucina was surprisingly good; my first thought was, "Italian food....meh, I can get that anywhere." But I thought it was excellent and worth the money. The Teppanyaki was probably my least favorite food wise, but the whole experience is very entertaining. I think I need a longer cruse because by the time I tried all the specialty restaurants I barely had time for the regular ones, which I was also pleased with.

In a nutshell, there may be issues with NCL, but I personally don't list the food as one of them

We've been on the Gem twice. Le Bistro was our favorite both cruises. Excellent food and service. I thought La Cucina was mediocre the first cruise but it was really good the second time. Cagney's was really good as well. Half of our group went to Moderno when my wife and I went to Le Bistro and they thought it was good. I haven't tried Moderno personally yet but I love churrascaria's and will definitely try it on our next cruise.

I've really enjoyed reading this thread. It's helped make my mind up. I think a couple of visits to La Cucina for us. Do they have Italian waiters in there?

Would any of the dining options cover Indian options, I've heard tell this might be the case, possibly in the buffet?

I've really enjoyed reading this thread. It's helped make my mind up. I think a couple of visits to La Cucina for us. Do they have Italian waiters in there?

Would any of the dining options cover Indian options, I've heard tell this might be the case, possibly in the buffet?

Personally I have not seen Italian waiters. Most of the crew seem to be of Fillipino or Indian heritage but they do a great job!

The buffet would be the option for Indian cuisine, although I'm not sure how authentic it really is.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Do you tip extra in specialty restaurants? We did before. just wondering...Thanks

If you have the SDP package you already paid a gratuity.

So it is up to you if you want to pay an additional tip. We do only if there was something outstanding about the service.

However, since our Platinum dinner perk does not include a prepaid gratuity we always leave a tip of $5 for the two of us.

• 3 weeks later...
Do you tip extra in specialty restaurants? We did before. just wondering...Thanks

In teppanyaki your bill will arrive with a tip line for the chef and a tip line for the server.

We will tip extra in specialty restaurants for exceptional service, but remember you’re already paying a gratuity on your bill...can’t remember if it’s 18 or 20%.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ok, just booked at Le Cucina!

what is the next best for non-meat (seafood ok) eaters?

Well, this depend on which cruise ship you would be going on.

If going by your signature - your upcoming cruise ship is on the NCL Gem..

You might want to try Le Bistro, Cagney's or Teppanyaki or go to La Cucina more than 1 time.

Even though Cagney's is best known for it steaks, they have other good food.