Explorer suites on Alsvin, need advice

Phillygirl3

I recently booked a cruise in an Alsvin explorer suite and am now have some trepidations, as I have read a few reviews on the fact that there is engine noise and vibration when the ship is underway. I'm not sure why the most expensive cabins would have this issue. It doesn't make sense. If anyone has sailed in an Explorer suite on this ship, I would greatly appreciate your feedback. We do not expect a ship to be extremely quiet as some engine noise is like white noise, but if there is a major issue with noise and vibration that would not allow one to sleep, then this will certainly be a deal breaker. Thanks, so much for any information that you can provide

Dear travelingduo:

I continue to look for feedback and have not received anything beyond the advice that just because suites are larger doesn't mean they are the best, but that people book for the amenities. Considering that we have been on many ocean and river cruises, I can't imagine why cruise lines would charge more these rooms and expect people staying in them to put up with major discomfort. It doesn't make sense. My TA sent me information rating cabins and the Explorer suites rated well. He also, said that reading one or two complaints on Cruise Critic or anywhere else should not cause someone to opt out of any cruise, as we know cruising experiences are personal and not everyone experiences what another person might experience. He stated that noise/vibration is connected to time of year of travel, height of water in the rivers, itinerary, etc. Since all of the cruises were sold out in the months that we wanted, we should assume that the problem may not be as big as I am imagining. I'm hoping that we hear back from other cruisers on this topic but my TA is looking into this situation for us and if I hear anything that will be helpful, I will post it.

Thanks Phyllygirl3. This is our first river cruise after 70+ ocean voyages. I spoke with some friends who have sailed several times on the Viking long ships. While they weren’t in an Explorer Suite, they never heard anyone complain about vibration in the Suite. They also said that the suites were wonderful and they were envious of the occupants! Happy sailing!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We just returned from the Grand European Tour on the Viking Ve and the Viking Gefjon, as we had to change ships when the water was too low. We were in an Explorer Suite. The space is wonderful, very large bathroom and shower with a window that changes clear to opaque. These suites are also the only ones I believe that have the option of breakfast in your suite everyday, and included free laundry. We availed ourselves of both. The views on two sides out the back are also awesome, with a nice terrace with two chairs and small tables. Lots and lots of storage space everywhere. The drinks package was also included. The living area is also large, with a couch and two chairs, coffee table and a desk where we set up our laptop. The bedroom is totally taken up by the large bed with only small walking room around it, also has large windows, we only slept there so no problem. The bedroom has the second large TV in the suite. We definitely did feel the vibration, and were very disappointed by the noise of the engines in the back. We were unable to sit on the terrace and enjoy the view. It was just too noisy. We also felt the banging many times as we went through the locks, not sure if this is felt everywhere, woke us up many times. So, would we get this suite again? The answer is no. We would consider the other smaller suite, which is midship, has a smaller bathroom, smaller living area, I think the bedroom is the same, has a smaller terrace. Also, the smaller side terrace would be right up against another ship when a few are docked together and you would have to keep the curtains closed for privacy, we did not have this issue in the back. I really liked having breakfast in the room, so we could slowly start our day, and not have to be up showered and dressed to eat and have a coffee. I would just pay for the laundry and drinks package, that is not a big deal. Of more serious decision making are the issues with low water that has occurred and is still occurring this summer. I did not sign up for a bus and hotel trip, with changes and packing and unpacking. This happened twice on our cruise, and because of this, although the Viking staff was wonderful, and had totally no control over the low water, I think we would not do a river cruise again. This issue is not going away, and may have to completely change the future of river cruising in Europe. Good luck with your decision making. The cities on this cruise, and our addition of Prague before Budapest, make it an awesome cruise, with wonderful ports and things to see and do.

Prudence Passenger, thank you for taking time to share your detailed response and experience. You have given us good information to consider and it is much appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have been in the Explorer suites on the river 5 times. We LOVE them.

At night if the ship is underway there is a small hum. And if go on the back deck when engine is going full blast you can hear it. But I LIKED the sound. Inside with the doors closed I didn’t hear it.

You can get some amazing pictures from its balcony.

Here when under full power:

fd17b379655e207327acb5d78a48a1b3.jpg

And here when docked.

cb4f2c2f8f363e26463b57cbfb36ff0a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums