Questions on Zaandam Dry Dock in 2018

AryMay

We are booked on the 23 day Panama Canal cruise on the Zaandam for April 2018. After booking the cruise, I realize that we will be on the first sailing after the drydock. I found the following description of what is to be accomplished here on Cruise Critic:

Details: As part of a $300 million investment, Holland America is updating entertainment, dining and suites across its fleet between 2016 and 2018. While enhancements will vary by ship, all Vista- Signature- and Rotterdam-class ships will receive new furniture, carpeting and wall covers, as well as a new quartz stone top on the desk, dresser, nightstands and makeup vanity. Electronic upgrades include a USB outlet added the bed's headboard, LED reading lights and a lighted closet rod. Suite passengers will also have access to a new interactive TV system with free movies on demand, in-cabin coffee and espresso machine, binoculars for use during the sailing, free mimosas with ensuite breakfast and more. Zaandam will receive the transformation that will turn Crow's Nest into the line's new interactive destination experience center, EXC or Explorations Central.

I found this photo from a few years ago and I see that the Zaandam was equipped with the old-style "vacuum cleaner" type hair dryer in the bathroom. Are these still being used? If so, any ideas if they will be replaced with the usual handheld dryers during the drydock?

Zaandam-2592-sink.jpg

I also noticed in the description it mentions that suite passengers will have access to on-demand movies. Does that mean that those of us in inside cabins will NOT have the on-demand movies? I think I read that some ships have DVD players??

We just returned from our first (and only) HAL cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam and my husband enjoyed the movies on demand in our balcony cabin. He is a big movie buff and watching a movie kept him occupied while I took a little longer to get myself put together. ;) It sometimes took him a couple of day to finish a movie, but that was what made the on-demand movies such a great feature.

I found this photo from a few years ago and I see that the Zaandam was equipped with the old-style "vacuum cleaner" type hair dryer in the bathroom. Are these still being used? If so, any ideas if they will be replaced with the usual handheld dryers during the drydock?

Every cabin on every ship has had hand-held hair dryers for years now. The old dryers were not removed from the bathroom walls when the hand held were placed in the cabins, and I, for one, hate to see them being removed now.

They have come in very handy when the mirror is all steamed up after a shower. I have also used them to dry my gloves in Alaska, and other cold climates. The last advantage is that the outlet included in them is low enough that I can reach it. In the bathrooms where it was removed, the outlet was placed close to the ceiling, and you have to be an NBA player to reach it.

Every cabin on every ship has had hand-held hair dryers for years now. The old dryers were not removed from the bathroom walls when the hand held were placed in the cabins, and I, for one, hate to see them being removed now.

That is great news! We had this kind of wall mounted hairdryer (and ONLY this kind) on a Norwegian cruise recently. I made do, but it was inconvenient when I needed to dry my hair and my husband wanted to be in the bathroom. Having a handheld dryer in addition to the wall mounted one is the best of both worlds! (Now I hope they don't remove them...)