Getting concerned....Century cabin selection

SF

We have been on Century several times but our cabins have always been

mid-ship or a little forward. This time around the only two cabins left are in the aft on deck nine (9222). I do not mind the "rocking" on a ship but excessive "vibration" bothers me. Last time we had to have our dining table changed since it was way in the back of the dining room and the vibration was bad, even the glasses were rattling on the table not just when pulling in/out port but all the time.

I know the dining room is on the lower deck but was wondering if anyone has stayed in the vicinity of the cabin mentioned above and if they felt the vibration all the time or just upon enter and leaving port.

Any information would be greatly appreciated as we have to decide whether to keep these cabins or cancel.

We have been on Century several times but our cabins have always been

mid-ship or a little forward. This time around the only two cabins left are in the aft on deck nine (9222). I do not mind the "rocking" on a ship but excessive "vibration" bothers me. Last time we had to have our dining table changed since it was way in the back of the dining room and the vibration was bad, even the glasses were rattling on the table not just when pulling in/out port but all the time.

I know the dining room is on the lower deck but was wondering if anyone has stayed in the vicinity of the cabin mentioned above and if they felt the vibration all the time or just upon enter and leaving port.

Any information would be greatly appreciated as we have to decide whether to keep these cabins or cancel.

We are booked on the same cruise April 29. We have an aft cabin and this will be a first time for us. If you hear anything about severe vibrations let me know. From what I have heard it is not that bad. I guess when they are going into port there is vibrations and if early, wakes passengers but other than that I think they are OK. At least I hope so.

We are on the 12th deck and not sure of the best location. I have heard that the noise from the Sunset Bar can be annoying. Also some balconies have nothing but a view of the white canopy over the sunset bar, but not sure which cabins they are.

You might do a search and check it out. Good luck.

Bob

I have tried to check it out and haven't been able to read any threads in regards to people staying in that location on deck 9 (9222). I have seen posts about a lot of vibration when docking as well as leaving a port. If that is all it is I don't think it will be a problem but if it's constant like we experienced in the dining room then that would bother me. I don't remember excessive vibration anywhere else on the ship except the dining room. I'm just hoping that being on the upper deck it won't be as bad.

Yes, I've heard that being near the Sunset Bar can be a little noisy and that some balcony views are blocked by the white canopy. We usually book mid-ship so haven't experienced that problem. We try to book cabins away from lounges or bars being either near, above or underneath.

Have you planned any of your shore excursions yet? We've been to some of these ports before but are deciding on which tours this time around.

I was in 1237 on the Century for a two week transatlantic in October, which is to say fewer stops than say a Panama Canal two week trip. There were definite vibrations in starting up and especially stopping and also definitely way more than when we were further mid ship in 1209 on another transatlantic.

That being said, we never found the vibrations too difficult or lasting too long. It just was what it was. I do think it was prominent enough to wake someone up if they were still asleep. I wouldn't be very concerned myself, but I guess it depends on how sensitive you are to that rattle.

We never had a table in the MDR in the far back but we sat out back a lot on the back of the ship beyond the buffet, and it was fine. Not noisy at all, I don't think.

The Century is such a nice ship. I hope you find a way to not have to cancel.

Fern

We were in cabin 9230 on a Mediterranean cruise last Fall. In the past we've also sailed on a similar ship, the Galaxy, in cabins that towards the aft of the ship.

There is a lot of vibration at the aft of the Century at any time the ship is maneuvering into or out of port or making similar maneuvers. This can also happen when making certain maneuvers while cruising at sea but this is much less frequent than when coming into or out of port. This can be quite a wake up call early in the morning on port days.

The engineer told us, on a tour, that one of the the reasons for the vibration is that the Century's propellers are shaft driven and that the drive shaft is designed to turn at a constant speed during normal operations and that the ship's speed is changed by changing the pitch of the propellers on the drive shaft. When the drive shaft is engaged and is moving up to running speed when leaving port the vibration is at its worst and likewise the reverse occurs when coming into a port. There can also be a lot of vibration caused by the aft thrusters when maneuvering into port. All of these issues are related to the basic design of the ship and is very common to the style of propulsion common on ships built over 10 years ago.

Newer ships have the propellers mounted on azipods which are much less prone to vibration.

We stayed in Century cabin #9232 this past January. We loved the room. I am a bit opposite in the fact that I do not care for the rocking back & forth, and can tolerate the vibrations well. Our cabin "hummed a bit" but it was easy to sleep through. The seas were rough, so we did not reach our intended ports until 1-2 hrs late each day. Luckily, we were always up and the harsher thrusting was never an issue while we slept.

I would recommend one of these cabins to anyone! Our room attendant spoiled us. He was one of the best we ever had.

The view was amazing, and we really liked being able to just hop on the stairwell right there ans walk 2 floors up to the buffet and pool.

We had aft FV cabin 9245 for our Century TA cruise and as others have stated, vibration was really only a problem when entering or leaving a port and seemed to be cause by a major change in the ship's speed and direction. Typically it would last for 10 to 15 seconds maximum.

If it lasts only when entering and leaving ports and is for only around 15 seconds then maybe things will be ok. It's only the constant vibration that bothers me. Guess it will be our early morning wake up call since we arrive at most ports by 7am!!! The rocking is fine been in rough seas and that isn't a problem.

Appreciate everyone sharing their experiences.:)

Archived