Volunteering?

jenee724

Anyone know of any organizations that would allow volunteers to help for a few hours? My husband and I arrive in San Juan the night before our cruise and since the boat doesn't leave until the following evening, I was thinking we could volunteer a for a few hours if there was something that needed basic help?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Anyone know of any organizations that would allow volunteers to help for a few hours? My husband and I arrive in San Juan the night before our cruise and since the boat doesn't leave until the following evening, I was thinking we could volunteer a for a few hours if there was something that needed basic help?

Following

Besides volunteering we are thinking of packing some essentials that P.R. might need but we don't know where to look. Clothing, soaps, toothpaste? has anyone heard of anyone or anywhere where we could get this info?

I’m interested in this too but haven’t seen anything. Someone had suggested bringing items to the hotel you’re staying at to help with their employees. I called mine but they told me to go to unidosporpuertorico.com instead for donations.

Puerto Ricans are, in general, very religious, and you will most likely find a church/temple group of almost any denomination doing relief work. Catholicism is by far the largest church on the island, but you will also find most Protestant churches represented here, also the three main Jewish denominations. The Catholic Caritas organization, Graham's Samaritan's Purse, and Chabad Puerto Rico are the most visible or the ones that I have seen out there.

If you are so inclined, maybe you can approach one of those and I am sure they are far less bureaucratic than the larger relief organizations.

Or, you can elect to donate for the preservation and restoration of the two main churches in Old San Juan: the main Cathedral of San Juan and San José Church. Both were in need of funds before the storms and they sustained some damage that set them quite abacks. Just an option.

But Frankly, just coming down here and sponsoring local businesses while enjoying yourselves, is plenty of help.

Thank you for your interest in helping us.

Or, you can bring me one of these and I'll reimburse you for its cost plus any additional luggage fees you might get charged by your airline. :p

https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-Running-Starting-Portable-Generator/dp/B002RWK9O6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1509128877&sr=8-1&keywords=yamaha+ef2600+generator