Rome in Limo subtopic -- lunch while on tour

Midnight Blue

I and my family have RomeinLimo booked for 2 tours on our upcoming cruise -- a tour of Pompeii and Herculaneum and one of the city of Rome. I have no worries that the company provides excellent service, as evidenced by the reviews on this site and elsewhere and my own experience so far.

My issue is this: just a few weeks ago, I was diagnosed as a Type 2 diabetic. Good news is my blood glucose levels are not wildly out of control and I've made some good progress already in stabilizing and lowering them. But a significant part of keeping that progress going rests on two things: (1) eating regularly and (2) eating "lower carb" (not "no carb," but being mindful of and limiting the carbs at any given meal).

On both the Pompeii/Herculaneum and Rome tours, we'll be on tour during what would be the time I would need to eat lunch (between say 11:00 am and 1:00 pm). I will have some appropriate snacks with me, but I truly need to eat an appropriate meal in order to keep things stable.

So, finally, to my questions:

1. Does anyone have experience with RomeinLimo and needing to schedule a meal during a tour? Was it a problem?

2. I have noted in several reviews mentions of the RomeinLimo guides taking people to their favorite restaurants. I'm good with that as long as the restaurant has something other than just pasta. I assume most would, but if anyone has experience with managing dietary restrictions while on a RomeinLimo tour, that would be helpful.

Finally, I realize that what I ultimately need to do is write the ever-highly-praised Jany and let her know my issues. I will do that, but I thought others' experiences might help me better frame my communications with her.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Midnight Blue

Finally, I realize that what I ultimately need to do is write the ever-highly-praised Jany and let her know my issues. I will do that, but I thought others' experiences might help me better frame my communications with her.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Midnight Blue

I'm sorry about your diagnosis. As soon as I began reading your email, I was ready to hit "reply" and say "write to Jany" and get things squared away with her. :) That really is the best advice. Then, the morning of each tour, before setting out, review the arrangements with your driver/guide, to be sure he/she understands what you need. (It's actually good general advice when you have arranged any private tour to review the plans with your guide before setting out, just to confirm everyone is on the same page.)

All the best to you in managing your diabetes, and have a great trip!

Managing my Type 2 diabetes has never been a problem on a European cruise. There i usually so much walking on tours that you may need to increase your carb intake. There were always salads and antipasti with our lunches and although there was pasta there were a lot of veggies too. My first European cruise I actually passed out on the ship due to low blood sugar. My doctor always encourages to eat more carbs than normal due to the increase in walking. On the ship I always order a salad before meals and an extra dish of steamed veggies. Travel with some good snack. Individual packages of nuts and cheese/peanut butter crackers but also have some full sugar candies just in case.

Enjoy, a few days of slightly higher glucose levels, not high but a few points higher, is better than a sharp drop.

• 3 weeks later...

I see you just got off the Jade in the Haven 3 bedroom. May I ask you a question please....

First of all, have the rooms been updated? It appears the Jewel was re-done recently and the colors have been toned down. Is that the case with this Jade? Or is it still the bright Pink/Orange/Greens?

Also, is it feasible to move a sleeping couch to the family room? For Privacy for all of us. We have 7 family members and would like to have the singleton sleeping in the big family room as opposed to the Master Bedroom on pull out. Any sense that that would be an options?

Thanks for your time!

I see you just got off the Jade in the Haven 3 bedroom. May I ask you a question please....

First of all, have the rooms been updated? It appears the Jewel was re-done recently and the colors have been toned down. Is that the case with this Jade? Or is it still the bright Pink/Orange/Greens?

Also, is it feasible to move a sleeping couch to the family room? For Privacy for all of us. We have 7 family members and would like to have the singleton sleeping in the big family room as opposed to the Master Bedroom on pull out. Any sense that that would be an options?

Thanks for your time!

The Jade has NOT been updated -- it still has the Hawaiian theme decor from its time as the Pride of Hawaii. I'll admit it's a little... incongruous... to be sailing through the Mediterranean Sea on a ship that features lots of tropical stuff, pictures of surfboarders and a life size statue of King Kamehameha in the Grand Pacific Dining Room. My family found it kind of endearing, though, maybe because we sailed the Pride of America in Hawaii last year, so it was kind of a connection for us between the two cruises.

And despite the fact that the ship has not been redecorated, it's very well kept. But I can promise you, that Garden Villa is VIBRANT!! LOL.

On moving a pull out to the living room area: I suppose it wouldn't be impossible, but it also wouldn't be easy. There's room for it in the living room, but the bedrooms are a *long* way from that living room (seriously, it's a big suite) so it isn't a matter of just moving something a short distance. You also would then have a big piece of furniture taking up a fair amount of space in your living room. The living room is dominated by a very large (really LARGE) white leather semicircular couch that probably couldn't be easily moved. Anywhere you put the bed in the room that I can think of it would block a door to the private outside area or impinge on the dining area. In addition, the front wall of the suite is all windows looking out over the pool area -- during the day, no one can see in but at night, people on the deck below absolutely can see someone standing at the window, so you'd have to be careful to pull the curtains every night. Having said that, the best option for your purpose might be be the chair in one of the bedrooms (can't remember if it's the second or third bedroom) that folds out into a twin bed. It could be moved easier than one of the couches and during the day could at least be used for seating.

It was a wonderful suite and we thoroughly enjoyed it. Hope this information is helpful.