P&O Cruises - then and now

Host Sharon

I just thought it would be interesting to hear your memories and anecdotes of cruising with P&O, past and present. What do you like best - what don't you like?

How has it changed from say Canberra and the old Oriana to Ventura and Azura? Or perhaps you remember the Iberia and Chusan and others?

Lets hear about the "Good Old Days !"

• 2 weeks later...

You may find it interesting that your first reply is from a "Yank". Our first P&O cruise was on the Arcadia in 1964; Hong Kong to San Francisco. We were a family of 5 in a 6 berth cabin (Tourist class) wih the toilet and showers down the hall. In those days, two thirds of the passengers were berthed in the back third of the ship with closed, if not locked, doors to keep us out of First class. Needless to say we loved it and took many more P&O cruises on such ships as the Orsova,Iberia,Chusan,Orcades, HImalaya and then came the NEW:) ships like the Canberra and Oriana. WE could not get enough and continued to cruise (actually cruise was not a correct term, as many of these trips were taken for the purpose of moving families). I actually was able to bring a car and a motorcycle home on one of the cruises we took to the Orient.

I alway felt that the original POSH club was set up partially because of one of my suggestions (Frequent cruiser progam like the airlines). We stayed members (I still have membership cards) even there was a cost to belong.

We stayed loyal to P&O until, after a couple of cruises on the Aurora and "new" Oriana. We had a segment of a World cruise booked and the Aurora did not make it out of the UK. That left us stranded with two daughters that had taken substantial vacation time and no cruise. WE looked to Princess and found they were very happy to have us. We tried again with P&O, with a cruise booked from HOng Kong. We booked the P&O pre cruise package which was to include pickup at the HK airport, transfer to the hotel and three nights lodging. When we arrived at the airport (6AM) there was no one there to meet us. We did not know which hotel the company was using so were really stuck. About three hours later, by calling around, I found the hotel. We then paid for our own transfer to the hotel. Attempts to find out what had happened only had different enitities pointing at each other and saying "It's their fault;not ours".

To make matters worse (or better for Princess) P&O was not counting our previous cruises for Portunus Club while Princess counted everything. We were often told that P&O did not really care about the US business:confused:. We have always enjoyed our cruises with P&O; we enjoy dressing for meals and the friendliness of every UK person we have met. We are just not sure the company wants us.:(

What an interesting thread this could turn out to be! I am in Spain on holiday at the moment but have some menus, ports of call information sheets and entertainment programs from the 1960s which were my grandmother's. I will post more info on my return. I did email P & O to see whether they were interested on any of the information I have for their celebrations next year but did not get a reply. We are going on our first P & O cruise next year, my children will be the third generation to sail with P & O with my grandfather sailing first in the late 1920s to the Far East.

Great stuff. I think it is really intersting to see how the same issues come up over years and years. There was a letter from a passenger complaining about people using "his" deckchair way back in the 1870s !!

I guess P&O don't worry about their US pax simply because there are so few of them??

Great stuff. I think it is really intersting to see how the same issues come up over years and years. There was a letter from a passenger complaining about people using "his" deckchair way back in the 1870s !!

I guess P&O don't worry about their US pax simply because there are so few of them??

One can only wonder is there are so few US Pax BECAUSE P&O doesn't care about them. Princess certainly has its share of UK passengers. It is a matter of priorities-On one P&O cruise we and a Canadian couple were the only non-UK passengers. When we went ashore we were told that we did not need our passports, which the ship had in their possession. Turned out the ship had to leave because of weather and while the UK folks had no problems getting out of that country, we (and the Canadians) were stuck. P&O apologized and took care of us but that was after the fact.

We have never had problems getting along with the other passengers but certainly have been made to feel that the company would just rather we stay home:confused:

And we have not even opened the "can of worms" about tippping;)

Must admit I did wonder if that might be the case triple7tahoe. Or perhaps P&O feel that because the ships cater for UK tastes they just won't appeal to US pax whereas Princess is the other way round - US ship attracting UK cruisers who like the more laid-back style.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I have returned from Spain and picked out a couple of menus-

Here is the Gala Menu from SS Carthage - Tuesday 30th September 1952

GALA NIGHT DINNER

Grapefruit Maraschino - Stuffed Olives - Sardines - Salade Russe - Crab Salad - Cocktail Sausages

Cold Consomme - Consomme Royale - Creme Waldeze

Fresh Salmon Hollandaise

Quarter of Lamb, Mint Sauce

Cold - Boiled Ham

Cold - Roast Capon

Brussels Sprouts

Potatoes - Croquette

- Boiled

Asparagus Vinaigrette

Savarin Medici

Californian Sundae

Welsh Rarebit

Fruit

Stem Ginger

(Coffee served in all Public Rooms)

I don't understand why the Welsh Rarebit is amongst the desserts?

Kids Menu from SS Corfu 15th August 1949

Bean soup

Fillest of Halibut, Tomato Sauce

Fried Calf's Liver or Mince

Vegetable Marrow

Potatoes

Tapioca Mould and Fruit Sauce

Sample of First Class Entertainment SS Carthage 1952

Monday 22nd September

9.00pm Cinema - His Excellency

Tuesday 23rd September

10.00am Fire and Boat Stations for Crew

Noon- Close Entry List for Deck Game Competitions

Dinner -Sports Fund Collection

Wednesday 24th September

10.30am Galley Visit

9.00pm Dance

Thursday 25th September

9.00pm - Cinema - Mr Denning Drives North

Friday 26th September

10.00 Sell Raffle Tickets for Race Meeting

9.00 Race Meeting

Not much entertainment each day, I would imagine the voyage from Southampton to Bombay, Malaya and Hong Kong was a long month! How things have changed with regards to entertainment! I am sure many would complain if the above menus were still served today.

On one of my grandfather's trips he had to go round Cape Horn and rescued passengers from another ship.

Must admit I did wonder if that might be the case triple7tahoe. Or perhaps P&O feel that because the ships cater for UK tastes they just won't appeal to US pax whereas Princess is the other way round - US ship attracting UK cruisers who like the more laid-back style.

I think it is because Princess was owned by p&o. and marketed each to their own country. Princess to USA p&o to UK.

Gan canny

Dai

I think it is because Princess was owned by p&o. and marketed each to their own country. Princess to USA p&o to UK.

Gan canny

Dai

Yes, but Princess was a US cruise line before P&O bought them.

Yes, but Princess was a US cruise line before P&O bought them.

Way back in 1974. It was p&o who developed the Princess brand.

Gan canny

Dai

Archived