Bergen Questions Answered 2017

Hi SIB or anyone else who can assist with some advice.

We arrive on Serenade of the Seas on Tuesday June 12th 2018. 0700 arrival 1700 departure.

We would like to do a fjord cruise and then walk around town and possibly the funicular later in the day.

As you have previously stated there is little difference between a few of the fjord cruises so whichever one would best fit our schedule would probably be our choice. Shorter time the better I guess.

Can you please recommend one and offer some advice on where we could purchase the cruise?

Are they likely to sell/be booked out because of the amount of cruise passengers or will we be able to book a ticket on the day?

Thanks in advance.

John & Danni Sydney Australia.

We will be berthing in Bergen on the Queen Victoria on Sunday 27 May 2018 - I have not been able to find out exactly which of the two cruise berths in Bergen that we will be at - does anybody have a link to the relevant Port Authority website please.

Thank you for a wonderful thread ShipsInBergen!

I read the whole thing and have most of my questions answered. I believe only two left ;)

We will be in Bergen June 29 - July 1 arriving on Viking Star.

How far is hotel Augustin from the Viking Star berth? Can we walk from the ship to the hotel? What are our options?

Does airport shuttle stops near this hotel? If yes, how much it cost and what about our suitcases?

We've been to Bergen last year but only for one day, so we decided to extend our time a little this year.

Thank you again for your detailed answers.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi ShipsinBergen. We will arrive in Bergen on August 6 on the Viking Sea. We have an 8 am flight to Oslo on August 7 then on to Iceland. What kind of transportation can we get on our own early in the morning and what time do we need to get to the airport for that domestic flight? I could not find an earlier answer to airport queries. Thank you for any help.

HI all, we'll be in Bergen in mid September from 8.00am - 6.00pm and was hoping to do a half day fjord trip, is this possible or will it need to be a full day?

Hi Caddion,

There are plenty of options for fjord cruises that will fit with a day in port. If you head to the Visit Bergen they should have links to all of the available options with up-to-date information :)

Hi SIB or anyone else who can assist with some advice.

We arrive on Serenade of the Seas on Tuesday June 12th 2018. 0700 arrival 1700 departure.

We would like to do a fjord cruise and then walk around town and possibly the funicular later in the day.

As you have previously stated there is little difference between a few of the fjord cruises so whichever one would best fit our schedule would probably be our choice. Shorter time the better I guess.

Can you please recommend one and offer some advice on where we could purchase the cruise?

Are they likely to sell/be booked out because of the amount of cruise passengers or will we be able to book a ticket on the day?

Thanks in advance.

John & Danni Sydney Australia.

Hi :)

If you're looking for a shorter trip then I would recommend the 'Rødne Fjord Cruise' to Lysefjord. It's about a 3hr round trip from central Bergen, leaving plenty of time for other sightseeing. I think tickets can be purchsed in advance, but they also have second 'overflow' vessel for busy times, so you won't miss out on a trip if you buy tickets on the day (and they won't miss out on their $$$) ;) One tip I would give is to arrive at the departure point 15/20 minutes ahead of the trip, as you'll be among the first to board and can snag a good spot on the top deck :)

We will be berthing in Bergen on the Queen Victoria on Sunday 27 May 2018 - I have not been able to find out exactly which of the two cruise berths in Bergen that we will be at - does anybody have a link to the relevant Port Authority website please.

Here's a link to the port schedule website:

https://bergenhavn.no/cruise/anlopsliste-cruise/

If you scroll through to the correct date you'll see where you're scheduled to dock :)

Which would be the best to do? The funicular railway or the cable car?

Hi :)

The funicular is closer to the centre and a shorter trip, but the views from Ulriken (with the cable car) are amazing too, and there should be time to do both if you plan. But the funicular up Fløyen would be a slightly easier and gentler option.

Hi ShipsinBergen. We will arrive in Bergen on August 6 on the Viking Sea. We have an 8 am flight to Oslo on August 7 then on to Iceland. What kind of transportation can we get on our own early in the morning and what time do we need to get to the airport for that domestic flight? I could not find an earlier answer to airport queries. Thank you for any help.

My preferred option to get to the airport is the city lightrail (Bybanen). Thi costs 37nok for a ticket from a machine on the platform. The first stop is Festplassen, right in the city centre, then it's direct to the aiport (45 min trip). This runs from around 5:45 on weekdays with departures every 10 minutes.

For a domestic flight I'd arrive 1hr before departure, but if you have checked luggage and don't want to stress the lightrail runs early enough for you to take even more time :)

Hello! Any restaurant recommendations? We’re staying at the Radisson Blu for a night post-cruise next month prior to taking the train to Oslo. Just wondering what restaurants might be interesting and popular with locals?

Hello! Any restaurant recommendations? We’re staying at the Radisson Blu for a night post-cruise next month prior to taking the train to Oslo. Just wondering what restaurants might be interesting and popular with locals?

Hi Twitchly, we will be staying at Radisson Blu after the same cruise you are taking :)

Are you planing to walk from the ship to the hotel? I heard it is really close to the terminal.

Will follow your trip closely. :)

And btw, ShipsinBergen has a new thread for 2018. You might check it out.

Thanks for that information. I have subscribed to the new thread. And thanks to ShipsinBergen for all their help and information. We are looking forward to being in Bergen this June.

Here's the link, to make it easier to find the new thread:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2615207