Koningsdam Information

hobgoblin

Hi

Ive only ever cruised with celebrity (have been on about 6 cruises in total )and am looking for a change .

Would anyone be able to comment on similarities in this ship and say Equinox if any?

Also,comparison in costs for excursions e.g. in Caribbean area ?

Normally book a balcony room and dine in speciality dining room .

Would like to try something different but still want some refinement !

Thanks

This may not be the information you're looking for, but I did a review of our January Caribbean cruise on Koningsdam, here: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2590910

I don't remember the costs of the tours we did, but I know it ain't cheap there!

Just reading over my first post, I noticed that I had said I didn't think we would ever sail on her again. We are now considering booking another cruise (Mediterranean) on her for next year!

I've found that HAL's Koningsdam is very similar to the newer Celebrity ships. Action stations in the buffet, magrodome over the pool, better wine lists and very good specialty restaurants.

Having done both:

K'Dam

Very nice new ship with a few design flaws, IMO. Not enough pool space. Hot tubs are extremely small. Not enough pool seating. The only time that I have been a chair hog, at the suggestion of the pool attendant :eek:.

Food, very good overall. PG, and Tamarind were wonderful, both food and service.

BBKing's was so loud on our cruise, it was unusable.

Biilboard was wonderful.

Vista Suite was a joke. Glorified verandah cabin. Go for Signature or Neptune if you want a suite, or do a Verandah.

Ah yes, the toilet squueze. You need to kind of sit at an angle, especially if you have long legs.

Equinox

Also a very nice ship, with very good crew.

Very good food; Murano is outstanding.

Suites are FAR superior to K'Dam (I have not seen or had a Penthouse on HAL). Suite service is, in my experience, wonderful. Luminae, the suite only dining is as good as most lines specialty restaurants. Michael's club (suite only lounge with gratis wine, beer, alchohol, soda and water.

While chair hogs are here as well, if a pool attendant is asked they will clear chairs and/or put 30 minute cards out. More pool and seating space.

Freshly squeezed OJ is actually previously frozen freshly squeezed :eek:.

Night life, while not crazy, is available later than HAL in general.

Having said all that, I would gladly sail on either ship, with a nod to Celebrity, especially if in a suite (only occasional for us).

Ken