Oyster (or not)

I know this subject has been discussed every which way but I am still confused.

I may or may not take the Piccadilli line tube into London. I understand Heathrow is Zone 6. If I do, I realize the fare does not count toward daily maximums. (It looks like a black cab is the least expensive direct transportation. I don't see any advantage to taking the express train unless I'm missing something. (Going to Park Lane area)

I expect to use busses and the tube for at least 5 of 6 days (one day is out of London tour)

If I don't care about a few dollars one way or the other and just want simplicity and convenience, is the Oyster card the way to go?

Please confirm you get both deposit and any funds remaining when you turn in card. Also, how doe you add funds to the card?

Thank you!!!

I can't answer the questions about the funds, but we got ours with the London Pass, we bought that bundle package. And we loved having it! It was just nice to not have to worry about the cost of each trip we took, just tap the card and go. So from a convenience standpoint, we liked it!

An Oyster card will pay for itself after only 2 journeys. Prices without the Oyster are soooo expensive! If you have trouble using the machines, (they take cash or credit cards) there are always staff available to help. Enjoy your trip.:)

Heathrow to central London on the Piccadilly line does count towards the daily cap using Oyster (also the cheapest way to get to Central London except possibly National Express coach). Black cab is by far the most expensive way.- there are several private hire firms which are quite a bit cheaper.

Heathrow to central London on the Piccadilly line does count towards the daily cap using Oyster (also the cheapest way to get to Central London except possibly National Express coach). Black cab is by far the most expensive way.- there are several private hire firms which are quite a bit cheaper.

Tube & Nat Express are about the same price, around £6.

Nat Express is probably best if your destination is near Hammersmith or Victoria because carrying luggage on the tube system can be fraught.

But the tube can work out well if your destination is near a tube station on the picalilee* line.

The Heathrow Express is ideal if your destination is near Paddington - it's geared to folk with luggage and about the same cost as tube or Nat Express - but only if you book months in advance, the walk up fare is over £20 so the cost for two or more people is around the same as a pre-booked private transfer.

So choose Nat Express, or tube, or Heathrow Express, or pre-booked private transfer, depending mainly on your destination in central London.

And yes, a black cab from the rank at LHR is the most expensive way to do it.:eek:

JB :)

(* don't blame me for the spelling - the OP started it :D)

Since you are not overly concerned about cost, I suggest that the convenience of a pre-booked car makes it well worthwhile. Having a driver meet you at departures (It works best if you can phone from baggage collection) after a long flight is a big plus in my book. There are any number of companies to choose from; Blackberry often gets a mention on this board, but have a look on TripAdvisor and see.

• 2 weeks later...