HAL Embera Village Tour

2tsquared

We will be on the Jan 12, 2010 partial-transit cruise with Zuiderdam. As such, shore excursions are limited to HAL's choices only.

Has anyone taken the Embera Village Tour? This excursion seems to be the #1 choice by many CC folks (including Richard D). I have a few (perhaps dumb) questions, but here goes:

According to HAL's description, the tour is 6-1/2 hours long and is considered "strenuous" activity (neither a problem). However, there is no "icon" that indicates snack, water, or a meal for the time we are on the tour. So -- does this mean we need to be sure to pack our own snacks and water (also not a problem, just need to be informed)?

HAL's description also states that there are "no restrooms on the boat" to the village. Aside from the one-hour boat cruise up the river to the village, are there bathrooms (even an outdoor toilet) available during the 6-1/2 time frame? -- which would be a dealbreaker.

All comments will be appreciated!

I've not done HAL's excursion but we did a Princess excursion last FEb and would assume some similiarities so hopefully my answers may work for your excursion. We really enjoyed the excursion as it was a bit different than any we've done in the past.

We were fed some Embre traditional food after arriving at the village and drinks were also provided (if i remember correctly soda and water). I'm a limited fish easter but the fish we were given to eat was really very good. You certainly could carry water or a favorite snack with you if you still wished.

There are restroom facitilies at the village. Primitive, but still useful when needed:D

Be prepared to get wet on the dug out canoe ride to the village. We were given poncho's to wear and really did need them. We didn't mind getting a bit wet but many on our canoe would have used the word drenched vs simply wet:D It was fun. The canoe ride is NOT a comfort ride, but also not a mode of transportation one is likely to experience often either. Limit what you take with you to the bare neccesities as space is limited. A small backback would work well.

There is no major sales pitch given and it is very easy not to even look at the items the Embera have for sale in their village but we enjoyed looking and talking to the members of the different families(each family has their own table) that had made them and ultimately were very very happy with the things we chose to purchase.

We were glad we did the excursion as it was a bit different than any we have done in the past. The time went pretty quickly and the scenery is very pretty and a good way to see more of the interior of Panama and a great way to meet a group of people that have moved into the 21st centery when needed but still try hard to maintain a way of life that has been part of their heritage for centuries.

"Grandma", thanks so much for all the information. It is exactly was I was looking for. It seems it would be a real shame to remain onboard and not see any of Panama. The village tour sounds "definitely different"; and we can certainly wear water resistant clothes, forget a hairdo and pull it up under a hat, and survive with our own water! Primitive facilities are ok -- just go with the "flow" so to speak, take our own TP or kleenex, a good bottle of Purel and I think we'd be set. I was just concerned I would have to look for "girl trees!":o

Thanks again,

Terry

"Grandma", thanks so much for all the information. It is exactly was I was looking for. It seems it would be a real shame to remain onboard and not see any of Panama. The village tour sounds "definitely different"; and we can certainly wear water resistant clothes, forget a hairdo and pull it up under a hat, and survive with our own water! Primitive facilities are ok -- just go with the "flow" so to speak, take our own TP or kleenex, a good bottle of Purel and I think we'd be set. I was just concerned I would have to look for "girl trees!":o

Thanks again,

Terry

You certainly have the correct attitude to enjoy the excursion!:) It was warm so the water spray on the canoe ride felt good, just wet! :D It's cerainly ok if someone wishes to stay on board their ship and not get off in Panama BUT having traveled all that way there we personally felt we wanted to see more of Panama than only what we could see from our ship. The vegatation is so lush and unspoiled but at times traveling to the site where we boarded the canoe one does see garbage beside the road and is reminded that we are not on the US mainland. The roads a bit narrow in places and also a bit bumpy here and there but nothing terribly uncomforable and we always felt safe. Oh, almost forgot we did have a guard that did ride our bus with us to the canal entry site. Pleasant gentleman, and not a bad idea because one never knows.

If you plan to purchase anything at the village you will want that backpack, or purse large enough or plastic bag to carry your purchases dryly on the canoe ride back to the ship.

Hope you enjoy every moment of your cruise as we did on our Coral Princess partial transit cruise:)

In my opinion if you are interested in other cultures, the Embera tour is a unique and special experience, and a favorite of guests who take it, even when they come back wet! I've got pictures and tour info on my blog at http://richarddetrich.wordpress.com/category/embera-indigenous-groups/

According to HAL's description, the tour is 6-1/2 hours long and is considered "strenuous" activity (neither a problem). However, there is no "icon" that indicates snack, water, or a meal for the time we are on the tour. So -- does this mean we need to be sure to pack our own snacks and water (also not a problem, just need to be informed)?

HAL's description also states that there are "no restrooms on the boat" to the village. Aside from the one-hour boat cruise up the river to the village, are there bathrooms (even an outdoor toilet) available during the 6-1/2 time frame? -- which would be a dealbreaker.

"Strenuous" in the sense that you have to sit in a dug out log "canoe" - very stable, and maybe get a little wet. There are lots of Indians who will help you get in and out if you have knee problems. And there is a walk up a slope at the place where you board the boats, which can be a muddy trail if it rains, about 20 foot long slope down to the boats. At the village there is probably another 20 foot walk on uneven dirt steps from the boat landing to the village. It is not for folks with walkers, etc.

It is a dug out canoe, other than peeing over the side . . . "no restrooms on the boat." There are simple, primative, generally outhouse-style facilities at the village. You are encouraged to use a rest room before you board the bus, after you have taken the tender from the ship. But from there to the village, for some folks, can be a loooooooooong ride. Just don't drink much coffee in the morning! Before you board the dug out canoe, there's no rest room for the gals, but the guys can . . . well, be Panamanian!

Bring your own drinking water.

At the village you will be served a snack in a hand-made, banana leaf dish, of typical Embera food . . .OK to eat . . . delicious fried tilapia fish, patacones (fried plantain), and fresh fruit. The tour operator also provides a snack of cola, make-your-own ham and cheese sandwich -- NOT the Lido! - so you won't starve. And I suggest taking some Froot Loops or a bagel along. No one is going to actually check your bag.

And take money . . . they have beautiful baskets and crafts, and the Indians in the middle of the jungle don't take credit cards!

Regards, Richard

I would love to take that tour, burt am concerned about the canoe ride. I am "fluffy":p and do have some knee issues, although walking on uneven ground is usually not an issue. Are they canoes in the traditional sense, like when I was a girl scout and sat deep down in the bottom of a narrow deep canoe and hoped it wouldn't tip over if someone shifted too quickly?:eek:

Of course if I really do follow doctors orders I may be sveldt and limber by that time & it will be no problem........:rolleyes:

What is the issue alluded to by one of the earlier posters about only being permitted to take one of the cruise ship's excursions?

Why couldn't we arrange to participate in a private (non-ship) excursion?

The "canoes" or more accurately "pangas" are gigantic logs that are hollowed out and each holds about 20 people, two-abreast, nothing like the canoes at Girl Scout camp!! They drag them up on land, and they are easy to get in and out of.

If you are referring to the ZUIDERDAM, which the OP was, the ship disembarks guests for tours in a restricted and secure area of the Canal bordering Gatun Lake. There are no cabs. No independent folks are allowed in that area. A guard opens the gate for the buses to come in. Guests tender ashore, board the buses, and the gate is locked. It is the Panama Canal Authority, not the cruise line, that has determined that only guests with shore excursions booked through the cruise line will be allowed to get off.

The ship, with those who don't "get off the Dam ship" goes back through the same set of Gatun Locks and ends up in Colon about 3-4PM depending on Canal traffic. Back on board is 6:30PM . . . so there just isn't enough time to do anything on your own once you get to Colon/Cristobal.

Hope that helps!

Regards, Richard

The "canoes" or more accurately "pangas" are gigantic logs that are hollowed out and each holds about 20 people, two-abreast, nothing like the canoes at Girl Scout camp!! They drag them up on land, and they are easy to get in and out of.

Hope that helps!

Regards, Richard

Thank you,Richard! That sounds doable.:cool:

What is the issue alluded to by one of the earlier posters about only being permitted to take one of the cruise ship's excursions?

Why couldn't we arrange to participate in a private (non-ship) excursion?

As Richard has stated, I was definitely referring to excursions originating while on Gatun Lake (the Panama part of the Zuiderdam trip). Richard -- thanks for much for clarifying this for all! I also appreciate your insight on this particular tour. And if worse comes to worse -- I guess a gal can always "be Panamanian" as well! :D

So I guess taking the Embera village tour through My Friend Mario (meetup at Gatun Yacht Club) is out of the question, and I'll have to book thru HAL?

From all that I've read, and all that Richard has told us, apparently so.

tt

So I guess taking the Embera village tour through My Friend Mario (meetup at Gatun Yacht Club) is out of the question, and I'll have to book thru HAL?

Im pretty sure you can go with mario. There are only 3 cruise lines that dont let you off. and trust me I have done alot of research. I tried booking with mario and told him which ship I would be on and said princess cruise line doesnt allow it. But there are a few that do. Ask Mario, he knows alot about this and will help you out. I started this thread a few days ago to get help and boy did it help me understand

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1028991

Im pretty sure you can go with mario. There are only 3 cruise lines that dont let you off. and trust me I have done alot of research.

Not to contradict an Alaskan, particularly one with a passport and who is well-traveled, and although we trust you, "It is the Panama Canal Authority, not Holland America, that does not permit anyone to disembark the ZUIDERDAM other than those who have booked tours through Holland America." You heard it direct: 16 cruises last year on the ZUIDERDAM Canal, plus a few earlier, same itinerary, on VOLENDAM. Same speach, every time. Still folks in the elevator would say, "I didn't know we couldn't get off in Gatun Lake without booking a tour." Such is life.

Regards, Richard

We are cruising on Island Princess in December 2009. My husband likes the idea of the Embera excursion, but he's afraid of missing the whole canal/locks experience. Will we?

Another question: we'll be brining our two daughters, age 9 and 12. I anticipate they'll be a little shocked at women who are bare-breasted. Did anyone else bring children (particularly pre-teens) and what was their reaction?

Hi Texas girl,

Are you serious, didn't they see breasts before? I took my 2 children (boy 5 years old, girl 9 years old). They did not even noticed it... But I am from Europe (The Netherlands)........:p:p:p:p:p:p.

Have fun,

Karen

Hi Texas girl,

Are you serious, didn't they see breasts before? I took my 2 children (boy 5 years old, girl 9 years old). They did not even noticed it... But I am from Europe (The Netherlands)........:p:p:p:p:p:p.

Have fun,

Karen

Karen,

Things are a little more prudish here in the South -- you should see the restrictions on what they can wear to school. And they are now at the stage they want me to leave the room so they can change. But I think it would be a great cultural experience, so they'll just have to get over it!

JoAnn

I understand that we will get wet on our canoe trip to the village but how will we be getting wet? Waterfalls? Rainforest? I have a lot of research to do for my Sept cruise. :)

No waterfall or because of the rainforest although it is possible you may experience some rain which we did, but only for a few minutes and then it stopped. When in the canoe the sides of the canoe are not terriby far above water level (you are very safe and wearing a life jacket just in case so no reason for fear here:)) As the motor propells you through the water and the canoe hits a few very very small waves if the water is not perfectly smooth it sends the water spray back at some of those in the canoe. These aren't ocean waves just small movement of the water but enough to send some spray back. Its entirely possible to stay pretty dry which we did on our way to the village. We laughing at a few of those in front of us that had not expected it and had become quite wet but all were in good humor about it. On the way back we managed to experience a bit more of the wetness ourselves but it felt great to cool off a bit. Be sure to put on the rain poncho they will provide for you and if you are carrying any kind of purse or small bag put it under the poncho and enjoy the ride and the beautiful scenary.

texasgirl29- I think it would be a great experience for your girls to visit the village. If nothing else it will provide LOTs for them to talk about.;)

If you are thinking about this tour, you will be fascinated by an episode of MTV's (I know most Cruise Critic fans watch MTV nonstop!) "Exiled" that was filmed in an Embera Village in Chagres, one of the villages used on this tour. If you haven't seen it you've got to watch it! http://richarddetrich.wordpress.com/2009/05/18/exiled-to-embera-puru-village/

There was a follow up show which is equally interesting . . .

http://richarddetrich.wordpress.com/2009/05/19/and-so-what-happened-to-the-princess/

Regards, Richard

Thanks grandma...now I get it...Thanks so much for your info! I think we are really going to enjoy this excursion!

Thanks Richard for the MTV show on the Embera tribe....I really enjoyed watching it. Now I know more what to expect.:)

I just did a post today all about the Embera Village Tour as well as updated the Embera page . . . I'm sure you will enjoy the tour and I look forward to hearing about your experience on CC.

Regards, Richard

Richard, your updated blog has really reinforced our decision to take this tour. We're booked as of this morning! And I've even found some "water resistant" clothes for the experience. :D

tt

• 4 weeks later...

Archived