All Ama cruisers!!! Share expierences and ideas

Crusin-Suzan

I was on two different AMA ships and they both had the hair dryers in the bathroom vanity. One thing to know, which I learned the hard way, is you have to hold the "cool" button while you are drying your hair to get heat. They plug into the outlet behind the mirror. Also, there is a power bar available to give you more outlets but you will need a converter for your IPhone charger. The converters were a little different in Switzerland than the one I had with me. I borrowed an extra one from the ship which was no problem to have for charging batteries, ipad, etc. I would think the AMAKristina would have the same systems as the Serena and the Dante.
Thanks for your help, wouldn't have figured out the hair dryer either :)

Thanks for the reply. My son has sadly developed some inner ear issues and gets dizzy some days so what I am really wondering are there ever nights that you aren't sailing while you are sleeping? Did you find your room had a lot of movement? We are in rooms 320 and 322. Thanks for your help.

We were in room 312. There is no motion at all. It is nothing like an ocean cruise. Most of the time the only way you knew you were moving was to look out the window!

Can anyone that has been on AmaKristina please confirm what power is on the ship? Do I need a convertor for iPhone wall chargers? Are you also able to confirm there actually was hair dryers. The site says there are and that everything is 220V so think I don't need to bring a hair dryer and think I must bring a convertor for our wall chargers but would love to confirm that with someone having been on the ship. Thanks everyone.

There is usb connection (Apple Mac is used for TV), so I just charged my cell phone there. You do need adapter for power outlet next to bed. Hair dryer in the bathroom worked just fine for me. Sometimes you had to click the "cool" button (not hold it) to get hot air, but most of time you did not.

I submitted a lengthy review on Sunday, June 3rd, 2018, but I've yet to see it posted. I did receive the email from Cruise Critic saying they received it, and it would be published when it had been checked for content, but that was six days ago and nothing yet. It did not take that long in the past to have a review posted. Has anyone had a similiar experience in not having the review posted in a timely manner? Thanks

Has it been published yet? Haven't see it yet but not exactly sure where it will be posted.

Has it been published yet? Haven't see it yet but not exactly sure where it will be posted.

Here is the link to the review that I had written. It was published today. Hope you enjoy our experience on the AMADante. If the link doesn't open, you can do a search for a review on the AMADante and there are 13 that come up with mine being the newest. Thanks

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=621624

Can anyone that has been on AmaKristina please confirm what power is on the ship? Do I need a convertor for iPhone wall chargers? Are you also able to confirm there actually was hair dryers. The site says there are and that everything is 220V so think I don't need to bring a hair dryer and think I must bring a convertor for our wall chargers but would love to confirm that with someone having been on the ship. Thanks everyone.

Found this under the FAQ section on the AMA website: Electricity on board all ships is 220v, with 2-pin power outlets. You will need an adapter, and/or converter depending on which electrical appliances you bring with you.

We have been on 3 AMA ships, but not the AMAKristina, and they were all 220V. And all ships had hair dryers, but I don't remember if they were fixed in the bathroom, or portable handheld types. I travel with a small hair dryer with dual voltage to be sure I can dry my hair seated in front of the mirror in the bedroom. In addition to a converter be sure to take adapter plugs to fit the outlets.

Just a thought...for future trips to Europe we are planning to purchase a converter which has an attached electrical cord and multiple outlets so we can plug in multiple devices at one time. Have found several priced under $40 that have good reviews.

Found this under the FAQ section on the AMA website: Electricity on board all ships is 220v, with 2-pin power outlets. You will need an adapter, and/or converter depending on which electrical appliances you bring with you.

We have been on 3 AMA ships, but not the AMAKristina, and they were all 220V. And all ships had hair dryers, but I don't remember if they were fixed in the bathroom, or portable handheld types. I travel with a small hair dryer with dual voltage to be sure I can dry my hair seated in front of the mirror in the bedroom. In addition to a converter be sure to take adapter plugs to fit the outlets.

Just a thought...for future trips to Europe we are planning to purchase a converter which has an attached electrical cord and multiple outlets so we can plug in multiple devices at one time. Have found several priced under $40 that have good reviews.

Thanks for your help.

Glad to finally find the AMA thread. My daughter in law and I will be on AMACerto Gems of Southeast Europe. Arriving in Bucharest 9/19 for 3 day pre-cruise package then staying an extra 2 nights in Budapest on our own. I did a AMA Christmas Market on the Rhine in 2016. Enjoyed it so much, will never go back to the "big cruise lines". Look forward to hearing from anyone else booked on this cruise or any "tips" from those who have done this trip.

Glad to finally find the AMA thread. My daughter in law and I will be on AMACerto Gems of Southeast Europe. Arriving in Bucharest 9/19 for 3 day pre-cruise package then staying an extra 2 nights in Budapest on our own. I did a AMA Christmas Market on the Rhine in 2016. Enjoyed it so much, will never go back to the "big cruise lines". Look forward to hearing from anyone else booked on this cruise or any "tips" from those who have done this trip.

We loved Budapest, did the hop on hop off bus and spent lots of time at the Fishermen's Bastion. It is beautiful. If you get a chance to see the Illumination of the Parliament buildings in Budapest, (maybe this is part of your cruise to Budapest) it is amazing.

We were on the Amadaggio back in 2012, Lyon to Arles, with 3 days in Paris, then 3 days in Barcelona. Loved it, ship, crew and staff were all excellent. Cant believe we havent managed another one yet, but we're booked on the Serena from Budapest to Amsterdam for next Christmas and New Year, really looking forward to it
We are booking this tour in reverse for 2019. Is there a better side when traveling the river where there is more to see? Really looking forward to our first river cruise.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Has anyone noticed binoculars available for use on AmaKristina? So many castles was thinking a small pair might be nice to have a long to get a closer look.
There were no binoculars in the room on the AMADante or AMASerena. We took our own small set for travel that worked well.

Has anyone noticed binoculars available for use on AmaKristina? So many castles was thinking a small pair might be nice to have a long to get a closer look.

I’m onboard right now and haven’t seen any but I’ll look tomorrow just to maje sure.

We are booking this tour in reverse for 2019. Is there a better side when traveling the river where there is more to see? Really looking forward to our first river cruise.

Not that I recall---there's plenty to see on both sides. All the excursions were great, particularly loved the Olive farm

Enjoy

We were on the Starboard and our travelling companions on the Port side. When we were in our room, we always had the camera on to see what was coming up. If we noticed it was on one side or the other, we just walked across the hall to the friends room and they did the same. But really we weren't in the rooms enough to worry we were going to miss something. Weather was great so we were either on the top deck or in the lounge area. That way you see it all. Enjoy your trip.

So haven’t seen binoculars for use onboard but they do have umbrellas, walking sticks, canes with seats, Nordic sticks, etc for use on tours.

One comment about the AMA app. Precruise I really wondered how useful it would be but it’s especially nice because your daily cruiser is in it (they upload it while you are at dinner the night before) and you can see on a map exactly where you are on the journey.

I’m currently having a fantastic time on AmaKristina on the Rhine. The chef is making me my own lunch tomorrow because he is from Indonesia and I raved about a dish from his country. They truly take care of you onboard and want to make your time special.

So haven’t seen binoculars for use onboard but they do have umbrellas, walking sticks, canes with seats, Nordic sticks, etc for use on tours.

One comment about the AMA app. Precruise I really wondered how useful it would be but it’s especially nice because your daily cruiser is in it (they upload it while you are at dinner the night before) and you can see on a map exactly where you are on the journey.

I’m currently having a fantastic time on AmaKristina on the Rhine. The chef is making me my own lunch tomorrow because he is from Indonesia and I raved about a dish from his country. They truly take care of you onboard and want to make your time special.

Re: adapters. There are USB ports by the bed and European plugs. They do have a few adapters available at reception to borrow if you don’t have one. With the USB plugs I haven’t needed to pull out my own adapters.

Re: adapters. There are USB ports by the bed and European plugs. They do have a few adapters available at reception to borrow if you don’t have one. With the USB plugs I haven’t needed to pull out my own adapters.

I had taken my own adapters but I had to borrow the one from the ship. We found in Switzerland, our adapter didn't work in the hotels as they had a different shape sort of the shape of an eye for the plug in and my European adapter wouldn't fit in. There were a few like this on the ship so I just borrowed theirs for my curling iron. Lots of plugs in the extra power bar that is kept in the little cabinet under the mirror in the bedroom.

Thanks for checking on binoculars and the power outlets. Much appreciated. Leave this month so very excited. Hoping river levels are good while we are there.

Sitting in the airport waiting for my flight home from Zurich after a fantastic Rhine cruise and post cruise in Switzerland on AmaKristina. I’m a gentle walker and there were times I had my own tours and they still offered them. On the post cruise, the extra excursions were worth it. And the hotels were wonderful. For my post cruise transfers, our post cruise guide literally met my car and helped me through check in all the way to security.

I will try to post more when I get home, if anyone has any questions.

I was able to load a cruise on my Ipad using the AMA Cruiser app. The only cruise so far that was in the system seemed to be the AMA Viola leaving Budapest on March 23. Since this is a learning experience I've been looking at the cruise on the app each day. Its a pretty cool app. You can share it with family and friends. You can download your Daily brochure that shows the activities. There is a map which shows your location. You can share any pictures you take with your Ipad or telephone with your family or friends. The Daily brochures shows that there is a signature cocktail each day, and it gives you the times of the cocktail hour. I for one will use this app when we are on our river cruise in May.

Thanks for sharing. Definitely want to download the app as I’m curious about the daily info. We have booked our excursions - sailing on the AMA Viola in Sept from Budapest. First river cruise after 20 Ocean cruises. Really looking forward to it!