All Ama cruisers!!! Share expierences and ideas

Crusin-Suzan

1 hour ago, notamermaid said:

That is such a pity. Somewhat to be expected but still disappointing to have used up almost all the extra 15 percent (if I understand you correctly). I suspect others will join you in that experience.

notamermaid

Your are correct;  just when you think you have a good deal by leaving all your money with the cruise line plus and extra 15%;   the prices go up by that much and more.   AMA has the upper hand since they already have all my money.  So when we finally do book our river cruise;  which now looks like May 2023; due to scheduling conflicts with 2022;  we will already have entire trip paid for. Have a good weekend

2 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Have a good weekend

Thank you. You, too. I see you have a British Isles Cruise booked. I would love to see many new places on the main island and the scattered islands off Scotland. I hope I can at least return to Kent later this year.

notamermaid

15 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Thank you. You, too. I see you have a British Isles Cruise booked. I would love to see many new places on the main island and the scattered islands off Scotland. I hope I can at least return to Kent later this year.

notamermaid

We are looking forward to the British Isles trip.  We have been there on land trips; so going by ship will be unique.  Our trip starts and end in Amsterdam.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, aussielil said:

Anyone thinking of booking the 46 day river cruise.  

Have never been on a river cruise but the itinerary is interesting....

If you have not been on a river cruise I would absolutely NOT recommend this trip. If you find you dislike river cruising (which is completely different from ocean cruising) you will be sorry. You have to try river cruising first on a shorter itinerary.

1 minute ago, gnome12 said:

If you have not been on a river cruise I would absolutely NOT recommend this trip. If you find you dislike river cruising (which is completely different from ocean cruising) you will be sorry. You have to try river cruising first on a shorter itinerary.

I very much agree. I have been on a river cruise of eight days and loved it but I would definitely draw the line at twenty days for me. Some of us regular posters have discussed this on a separate thread and had doubts about the long river cruise which is not the same at all as having an ocean cruise of such a length.

Some past river cruisers I am sure will express their interest and one or two people might have booked it but when you have been on a river cruise before you have a better idea of what is coming.

notamermaid

Good morning, 🙂I echo the others...trying a 46 day river cruise as your first one? I would try

also try something shorter to begin with....a river cruise is 180 degrees different from an 

ocean cruise. A shorter one will give you a much better insight on how the days/evenings go......and you will get a good feel for it all.

• 5 months later...
On 3/12/2021 at 11:55 AM, notamermaid said:

I have just realized that gnome12 gave you the locks on the Main Danube Canal and I gave you the ones on the Rhine, so the ones on the Main are missing. Here they are: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_(river)

If you would like some more info on the Main, here is the thread: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2670259-the-river-main-infos-and-river-cruising-experiences/

notamermaid

Thank you.  I have been off this board awhile since our cruise was rescheduled.  Time to get back in the loop!

• 2 weeks later...

From the same website, a new article. This is an interview with Kristin Karst in German (she is German by birth) about AmaWaterways' plans including the continued cooperation with German operators. Worth using google translate (or similar): https://anbord.de/tag/amawaterways/

notamermaid

• Like 1

Apparently, the AmaMagna had an accident in Austria a few days ago. The lift which should have been fully retracted when entering the lock at Jochenstein was standing up too far above the deck and hit the lock construction. It had to be dismantled. The damage is estimated to be 300,000 euros.

Noone was hurt and the ship was able to sail on after inspection.

German news article: https://www.pnp.de/polizei/Schiffshavarie-an-der-Schleuse-Jochenstein-4105992.html

notamermaid

Looking at 'Enchanting Rhine' with pre days in Zurich and Lucerne in Mid November.  My concerns are about the weather getting cold and wet and also status of sailing into Amsterdam with and overnight there. No sure where that stands now or if it would open up by then.  Appreciate your thoughts on weather and status of Netherlands. 

We have river cruised in early November and been to Europe many times in December.   The weather has ranged from chilly to amazingly warm (enough to sit on deck and watch the scenery).  You just never know.  My preference is to bundle instead of the warmer months.  Crowds are lower and it sometimes feels like you are traveling during a time when everyone else is home preparing for the holidays.   Depending upon the week you go, holiday markets might be up and running.      Regarding entry into Amsterdam, who knows a that time.  Up until a few days ago we thought we would need to change our flight into Amsterdam to arrive the day of embarkation, but now it looks like we can keep our plans to arrive a day ahead.  Such a fluid situation so we are just planning to go with the flow and hope for the best.