Ship's Doctor/Med Staff and Insurance, etc.

artist47

I sail in one week. And the other day I did something stupid and I cut my hand pretty badly. I went to the ER and I had to have a few stitches. I am hoping my hand will heal up nice and quick.

But it is possible that it could get infected while I am sailing and I wondered if anyone has ever visited the ship's doc? How does that work? I've never done it...This could definitely be a first. LOL!

I have very good insurance (Anthem) and I called them and they said anything that comes up would be covered.

MY questions:

1) Do you give your insurance info to the cruise line and they bill it OR

2) do you have to pay cash up front and then submit your claim..

How does it work???

Any advice is appreciated.

If you need to use the ships medical center, it will be billed to your cruse account. Get receipts for all that is done to submit to your medical insurance. Usually have to submit to your own insurance company. Afterwards you submit to travel insurance company with what first company did not pay. That was how we had to do it when we submitted claims.

If you need to use the ships medical center, it will be billed to your cruse account. Get receipts for all that is done to submit to your medical insurance. Usually have to submit to your own insurance company. Afterwards you submit to travel insurance company with what first company did not pay. That was how we had to do it when we submitted claims.

Thanks so much. I really do appreciate your sharing your experience.

This is the first time I've ever had to even think about it. I hope it doesn't become necessary....I mean, I would love to meet the doctor and the nurses...but not under these circumstances! LOL

When you spoke to your insurance did you verify that you do not have to contact them before receiving care. My insurance has to be called before they will cover anything.

This information I got second hand from a lady, that was on the Epic, with a sick child. I met her on shore in Costa Maya. So I don't know how accurate this is and someone on here with experience may be able to respond to this.

Her child had an ear infection (or so she presumed). She was going to go to the ship's doctor but was told they will not prescribe antibiotics. Since you are afraid of infection, I thought that information may be of interest to you.

When you spoke to your insurance did you verify that you do not have to contact them before receiving care. My insurance has to be called before they will cover anything.

This information I got second hand from a lady, that was on the Epic, with a sick child. I met her on shore in Costa Maya. So I don't know how accurate this is and someone on here with experience may be able to respond to this.

Her child had an ear infection (or so she presumed). She was going to go to the ship's doctor but was told they will not prescribe antibiotics. Since you are afraid of infection, I thought that information may be of interest to you.

Thank you...very good point!!! I will call them tomorrow and verify. And good point on the anti-biotics too....I am sailing to Mexico, so I plan to just go into port and buy them if I need them. (Don't need a Rx in Mexico) Your points are well taken and very much appreciated. I will call and ask that specific question tomorrow.

Make sure you get documents that break out the insurance code, procedure & it's cost. Without that information, your insurance company may not be as willing to cover everything.

Thank you for this too! I did not stop to think of that. Really appreciate your input.

FWIW, when I needed the doctor's services, I was given an IV containing an antibiotic & the corresponding pills to take for several days. My insurance company didn't question no call since I was out of the country (Caribbean cruise). They paid for everything except my standard co-pay (not ER co-pay which is higher) & the Gatorade I was given because I was dehydrated.

Just curious? What did she do about her sick child?

Artist,

Can I recommend bringing a tube of Neosporin with you?

It always speeds up healing of cuts on myself and my boys.

Not sure if the ship would or would not have it, and if they did, it might be a lot more expensive.

Have a great cruise!

Robin

Norwegian Breakaway July 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

Artist,

Can I recommend bringing a tube of Neosporin with you?

It always speeds up healing of cuts on myself and my boys.

Not sure if the ship would or would not have it, and if they did, it might be a lot more expensive.

Have a great cruise!

Robin

Norwegian Breakaway July 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

Thanks Robin...yes, I bought some this morning and packed it in the suitcase. A good point about it being expensive onboard....it was about $8 dollars a tube on my last cruise .....I just waited for a port day..ugh!

Just curious? What did she do about her sick child?

Since I was on the Dawn and she was on the Epic, I really don't have any idea. I didn't see her again in Cozumel.

It was kind of strange how this conversation took place.

Her child was 2, she said this happened quite frequently with her child. And her child wasn't feeling well at all. Now since I know antibiotics certainly wouldn't take effect before she got back to the U.S. in 1 1/2 days and I wouldn't trust buying antibiotics in Mexico for my child. I would have just treated the fever and dealt with the ear infection when I got back. But she wanted the antibiotics pronto. So I asked if she thought her family doctor would prescribe these over the phone and she said she was positive he would. I suggested she contact her doctor and speak to the HD on the ship about getting help and if he knew what pharmacy in Cozumel she could get these from.

I didn't know you could get antibiotics in Mexico without a prescription, interesting.

Since I was on the Dawn and she was on the Epic, I really don't have any idea. I didn't see her again in Cozumel.

Her child was 2, she said this happened quite frequently with her child. And her child wasn't feeling well at all. Now since I know antibiotics certainly wouldn't take effect before she got back to the U.S. in 1 1/2 days and I wouldn't trust buying antibiotics in Mexico for my child. I would have just treated the fever and dealt with the ear infection when I got back. But she wanted the antibiotics pronto. So I asked if she thought her family doctor would prescribe these over the phone and she said she was positive he would. I suggested she contact her doctor and speak to the HD on the ship about getting help and if he knew what pharmacy in Cozumel she could get these from.

I didn't know you could get antibiotics in Mexico without a prescription, interesting.

Yes, in general this is true and is also true of some other types of medications. That's why many seniors go over the border in CA, AZ, NM, and TX to get certain things.....there ARE some limitations and restrictions but in general, you do not need a prescription for anti-biotics in Mexico. I have insurance so it really doesn't matter to me, but for many seniors who cannot afford their meds in the US, it is a very helpful thing for them.

Yes, in general this is true and is also true of some other types of medications. That's why many seniors go over the border in CA, AZ, NM, and TX to get certain things.....there ARE some limitations and restrictions but in general, you do not need a prescription for anti-biotics in Mexico. I have insurance so it really doesn't matter to me, but for many seniors who cannot afford their meds in the US, it is a very helpful thing for them.

Some things I did know you didn't need scripts for since they have signs outside most pharmacies advertising different products :p

The comical part of the fact that U.S. citizens go to Mexico because of costs. One of my prescriptions is quite costly here. We are a stone throw from N.Y. state. My doctor advised me to take my prescription over the border, that N.Y. State was a lot cheaper for that med than here and would accept his prescription LOL. So I'm thinking your seniors really wouldn't want to buy their meds here.

edit: after telling DH about this thread, he smiled and said if we go to the States to get meds cheaper and the States go to Mexico, he wondered where Mexico went. He said there's only so far south you can go, before someone will have to turn back north again :D :D

Edited by che5904

Adults can receive antibiotics on the ship But a child of two might give a physician pause for a variety of reasons that i won't bore anyone with

. Our son had a nasty ear infection on Jewel and was given antibiotics at age 5. He did have to take capsules, which we smushed up. We also had to go to the clinic for more children's tylenol as the gift shop didn't carry it and we ran out.

Better safe than sorry! Glad you have your neosporin..and have an amazing trip, Artist47!

Submitted bill and insurance paid us about 75 % back. LONG time ago!!

Edited by DrNora

Adults can receive antibiotics on the ship But a child of two might give a physician pause for a variety of reasons that i won't bore anyone with

. Our son had a nasty ear infection on Jewel and was given antibiotics at age 5. He did have to take capsules, which we smushed up. We also had to go to the clinic for more children's tylenol as the gift shop didn't carry it and we ran out.

Better safe than sorry! Glad you have your neosporin..and have an amazing trip, Artist47!

Submitted bill and insurance paid us about 75 % back. LONG time ago!!

Oh I absolutely agree

And as I stated, this was just information I had been told so I really had no idea how accurate it was. But it was certainly worth mentioning so anyone with actual experience could give their input.

Agreed - I would never give a child something from Mexico, or any country that you don't need a script for. You have no idea what you're getting.

I sail in one week. And the other day I did something stupid and I cut my hand pretty badly. I went to the ER and I had to have a few stitches. I am hoping my hand will heal up nice and quick.

But it is possible that it could get infected while I am sailing and I wondered if anyone has ever visited the ship's doc? How does that work? I've never done it...This could definitely be a first. LOL!

I have very good insurance (Anthem) and I called them and they said anything that comes up would be covered.

MY questions:

1) Do you give your insurance info to the cruise line and they bill it OR

2) do you have to pay cash up front and then submit your claim..

How does it work???

Any advice is appreciated.

You should be pretty much healed up in a week! I hope so anyway!!

There is or was a hotel in El Paso, TX that had a van that took people across, to Mexico, to visit dr, dentist and pharmacy. Had many friends that their parents stayed there and used it.

I had a UTI on the EPIC on the TA this past October and I did have to pay up front for everything and it was charged to my ship board account. First thing I want to say is the doctor onboard was very good and wanted to make sure I got better. I ended up getting an IV and antibiotics.I am on medicare but I do have a separate medicare plan with better coverage. I sent the bill to them first and they paid about 25% but I did have separate travel insurance that paid the rest. I was very pleased with the service I received on the ship and actually the total bill $275 I thought was very reasonable.

Basic medicare does not cover outside the US(there is a special exception for cruise ships within a few of hours of the US) many but not all medicare gap/plus/advantage policies cover outside the US(world wide coverage) Anthem has different policies so one may cover and another may not. Its not the insurer its the coverage.

http://www.medicare.gov/Pubs/pdf/11037.pdf

Edited by smeyer418

I had a UTI on the EPIC on the TA this past October and I did have to pay up front for everything and it was charged to my ship board account. First thing I want to say is the doctor onboard was very good and wanted to make sure I got better. I ended up getting an IV and antibiotics.I am on medicare but I do have a separate medicare plan with better coverage. I sent the bill to them first and they paid about 25% but I did have separate travel insurance that paid the rest. I was very pleased with the service I received on the ship and actually the total bill $275 I thought was very reasonable.

One never knows when they may need unexpected medical care. It's so nice to hear positive stories. Especially when you are so far away from any other care (in the middle of the ocean) that it's the only thing available.

Thanks for sharing your story.

Thanks so much. I really do appreciate your sharing your experience.

This is the first time I've ever had to even think about it. I hope it doesn't become necessary....I mean, I would love to meet the doctor and the nurses...but not under these circumstances! LOL

Why don't you go to your family doctor (or even a walk in) and get a prescription and fill it before you go. If you explain that you're going on a cruise, and won't have easy access to medical attention, it shouldn't be an issue. That way it saves you any hassle while away, and ensures that the proper antibiotic is prescribed. There is a huge variety of antibiotics, and if you don't get the proper one to cover the right bacteria, it could be useless.

Edited by stsbj

I was very pleased with the service I received on the ship and actually the total bill $275 I thought was very reasonable.

We had an after hours emergency visit for our DS on the Sun last month. The bill was $148 and charged to our onboard account. I was very impressed with the nurse, the doctor and the facilities. My DH who is in emergency management felt the same.

BTW, we had to call for a wheelchair to take him, but left before they arrived because he started having trouble breathing. Guest services sent someone down to medical to make sure we arrived OK when they did not find us still in the cabin. We thought that very kind and safety conscious.